Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,874,769 times

Advertisements

You have two choices (well, three if you count living in Hoboken or the city and commuting to Woodcliff Lake a choice, but, it's an absolutely terrible choice so lets not):

1. Live in Bergen county on a train line or bus path or Rockland county on a train line amidst the suburbs. If you don't have the train >>>> bus sentiment that is common, you can find a (relatively) cheap apartment in a nice area within literally a minute or two walk from a bus stop. Enjoy your short commute to work, and during the weekend take public transit into the city. Alternatively, Rockland county and northern Bergen by extension are great for hiking, biking, etc. if you're into that sort of thing. The only disadvantage of this is that if you are actively looking for a girl to date you are limited to those that live this side of the Hudson (Manhattan will turn up their nose at Jersey, other boroughs and Long Island are too far away), and good luck finding people among the suburbs unless you somehow tap into a social network of people who grew up here.

2. Nyack. The advantage is that you have a real community (as opposed to the endless suburbs) right outside your doorstep. The downside is that the commute to NYC is quite ugly and that getting to Harriman (if you're into hiking/nature Harriman park is a huge perk of living in the area) will involve the unpleasantness of going east/west through the whole of Rockland county, so, while you'll have the best local scene in a reasonable commute, you'll be staying local more often than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:54 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,025,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancesherb View Post
yea i was looking at bogota/teaneck as well too, so you say there is some nightlife there? and back to cliffside park, what do you mean dicey?
SOME yes, I wouldn't call it a destination by any means. But within a 10 minutes walk we can go get a burger and a few pints of Guinness at 101 Pub, some cheap as hell drinks at Cozy Tavern or some of the best craft beer available at Andy's Corner Bar. Cottage Bar in Teaneck is also a great spot, and pours the best Guinness in Bergen County.

Again, these are no nightlife destinations by any means. Guess it depends on what you're looking for. If it's a pretty lively party scene, then this ain't it. But if you're just looking for a good selection of places to eat and drink, and some will require a short drive, then here ya go.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:20 PM

857 posts, read 2,000,382 times
if you're moving from somewhere far away, don't know anyone in the area, want to meet new people, and you want lots of cultural things to do in your spare time - your ONLY options are hoboken and jersey city.

Trust me - you will absolutely miserable anywhere else.

Your commute is going to suck, but you will have lots of fun and really enjoy living here otherwise.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:15 PM

295 posts, read 280,567 times
Are you going to be working at Eisai by any chance? I have a friend who works there and she says getting in is bad no matter how you go about doing it. Might as well live in a fun place (Hoboken, NYC, etc.) and just deal with the commute.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 14,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_the_inhaler View Post
Are you going to be working at Eisai by any chance? I have a friend who works there and she says getting in is bad no matter how you go about doing it. Might as well live in a fun place (Hoboken, NYC, etc.) and just deal with the commute.

Im working at BMW NA, bout a mile south of Eisai. what do you mean getting in is bad? Anyway, where does she live in comparison to her work?

As for commute, Weehawken/Hoboken area to BMW isnt too far mileage wise, but with traffic and all is it going to take like 45min? or 1hour?

So many decisions, and I really appreciate everyones input, it has helped me greatly.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:06 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,839,836 times
A good solid hour i would say.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:47 PM

295 posts, read 280,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancesherb View Post
Im working at BMW NA, bout a mile south of Eisai. what do you mean getting in is bad?
The local roads can't really handle the traffic so there's a lot of backup.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 14,798 times
How about Union City, like directly to the left of Hoboken, on Palisade Ave between 3rd and 9th st? any input on area an stuff?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,096,609 times
always bad coming in? Maybe that friend means from the parkway? I can't imagine local roads being bad

I might recommend Nanuet, Pearl River, Spring Valley. They have express trains going to NYC for your nightlife, but your daily commute will be on the order of 20 minutes. There's probably some nightlife in those towns, with all the young West Indians, but it might be sort of exclusive to them. Though you would be close to the Palisades mall, which would give you plenty to do.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:28 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,096,609 times
Driving-wise, things start to get trafficy on local roads in Hackensack and South from there. Hackensack is relatively close to NYC, train-wise.

You could also live in Garfield/Elmwood Park, so you'd be close to the GSP for commute, and still be near NYC train-wise.

You could also try Passaic/Lyndhurst. Again, close to NYC train-wise, but you could take rt-21 to GSP. Though I don't know what the traffic is like on 21, I don't think I've ever driven it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey