Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,361 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Hillsborough with our 2 year old son. We would love to be in a friendly, social neighborhood. What can you tell me about Hillsborough Chase, Preserve at Hillsborough, Country Classics or any others in the area? Does Hillsborough have a lot of family activities? Also, my husband will be commuting to NYC. How is the commute from Hillsborough? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,018,816 times
I take it he'd be driving up to the Raritan or Somerville NJ Transit stations?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,001,339 times
Hillsborough is no mans land when it comes to commuting to the city. Easy 1.5+ hours each way. Probably closer to 2 hours.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:39 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,297,571 times
Hillsborough is a nice town with a lousy commute to NYC. Consider one of the towns closer to I78.
I know Hillsborough has newer homes than some of the other nearby towns but It is also the last town in Somerset Co to be developed because of it's not so great location.
Everybody says Loc,loc,loc when it comes to real estate and Hillsborough is down the bottom of the list when it comes to Loc.

If you don't have to commute than Hillsborough is great.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
yeah, echoing what everyone else says. H'boro -> NYC = nightmare commute

Old 10-18-2011, 05:40 PM

54 posts, read 207,555 times
I used to commute from Hillsborough to NYC on Saturdays (read...no traffic or train congestion).

It was door to door 2 hours.

I would never do that everyday. I agree with the others...find somewhere closer to the train. There are many better options.

Also, if you're driving anywhere to do anything (and you will, because there's not much to do in Hillsborough) you're stuck on 206 which is a nightmare, one lane road that is super busy all the time, including nights and weekends.

As far as the town itself, it was OK, but nothing to write home about. Keep looking.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:25 PM

264 posts, read 602,796 times
We've visited friends' homes in Country Classics. Nice, large homes. But as far as NYC commute, that would be horrible, given you are not near any train station and the roads leading in/out will have a lot of traffic. Have you considered the Brunswicks?

Old 10-22-2011, 02:19 PM

900 posts, read 2,236,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincetonMommy View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Hillsborough with our 2 year old son. We would love to be in a friendly, social neighborhood. What can you tell me about Hillsborough Chase, Preserve at Hillsborough, Country Classics or any others in the area? Does Hillsborough have a lot of family activities? Also, my husband will be commuting to NYC. How is the commute from Hillsborough? Thank you!
I love Hillsborough, Montgomery, Neshanic (that whole area) for it's quiet and rural appeal. As someone mentioned, the main reason they remain that way is the fact they are not a reasonable commute to NYC.

Somerset County for the most part is terrific, and in my opinion the best part is the "Somerset Hills" section. Towns including Bernardsville, Basking Ridge, Warren, Bedminster, Far Hills, ect.

It's beautiful, expensive and a decent commute into the city. If you have the means, this is where its at.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM

19,037 posts, read 25,112,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
ect
Essentially, I agree with you, but..."ect"?
What does that mean?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:55 PM

900 posts, read 2,236,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Essentially, I agree with you, but..."ect"?
What does that mean?

etc. (et cetera), sorry. A latin phrase that means, "and other things" or "and so forth"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey