Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:23 AM

6 posts, read 12,869 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll be moving from CA (near San Jose) to NJ soon: I've an option to move either to Morris county (more easy sell to my employer) or Princeton (I'll have to push it a bit, but doable..). Any thoughts on relative merits? We have 2 preschool age kids, so elementary school matter. Weather matters too, and I was checking other thred on northern vs south NJ and how it is milder along south rim of NJ. But don't know if princeton (~50 miles south) wuld really be that different...And also matter the real estate costs (will rent first ~year, then buy...) and low crime rate etc.

Thanks for your insights,
PK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Both locs are fairly low crime rates.
Princeton is closer to the Delaware River Valley, Mo County somewhat more mountainous esp in the NW sections.

Morristown is a leech field of crooked lawyers centered around the evilly corrupt county court system. As long as you go nowhere near there, (they just need victims to siphon off) you are okay.

Princeton has the Sourland Mountain range to the N of it and flatter lands along the US1 corridor.

I'd say I'd chose for a local commute if that's a factor. You can always visit those places, there not far, maybe an hour from one to the other.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,110 times
1) Where is the job location?
2) Princeton is much more 'North Jersey' than 'South Jersey.'

Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Both areas seem to fit your limited criteria. Unless you go to higher elevations of Mirris County, weather will be mostly the same. Check out the "sticky thread" on front page and give us a little more to advise you about...

Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM

265 posts, read 597,191 times
Morris County resident here... Capne's comments aside, it is a great place to live. A short commute will make your life and your family's life a lot better... Lots of variety in real estate options... condos, small houses, big houses... $200-300K to $1M+++ all depends on what you want.

Higher elevations get more snow, but it is cleared efficiently - although an AWD/4WD vehicle is recommended, it is not a must.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
I say the commute would be the deciding factor here. I commute 50 miles each way and I HATE it. Turns my 12hour work day into a 14-15 sometimes 16 hour day when there is an accident or construction or idiots slowing down to watch someone change a tire on the side of the road.

Both areas are very nice and safe. IMO Princeton might be a little more laid back with more countryside (I don't mean rural) where Morristown would be a bit busier / active.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_PK View Post
Hi,

I'll be moving from CA (near San Jose) to NJ soon: I've an option to move either to Morris county (more easy sell to my employer) or Princeton (I'll have to push it a bit, but doable..). Any thoughts on relative merits? We have 2 preschool age kids, so elementary school matter. Weather matters too, and I was checking other thred on northern vs south NJ and how it is milder along south rim of NJ. But don't know if princeton (~50 miles south) wuld really be that different...And also matter the real estate costs (will rent first ~year, then buy...) and low crime rate etc.

Thanks for your insights,
PK
I highly recommend three school districts in the Princeton area:

West Windsor-Plainsboro
Princeton
Montgomery

All have great elementary schools.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 12,869 times
Hello All,

Thanks for your replies. Through different web searches, I'm zeroing towards parsippany or Montville school districts (if I decide to relocate in Morris county) or in Windsor/plainsborough school district. The company I'm joining has two offices, one in Morris county and another in Princeton, and I can possibly join either. So commute is similar in both cases. Would appreciate if anyone can compare parsippany/Montville with Pricenton/Windor/Plainsboro ares in terms of 1. real estate 2.crime /living conditions/ things to do etc 3. schools (I'm assuming they are comparable, but please let me know if there're any strong opinions either ways).

regards,
PK

Old 08-19-2011, 01:32 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Montville tops Parsippany in schools and general quality of life. More congestion/stores in Parsippany (if that is what you man by something to do). I would strongly recommend Montville.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:55 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_PK View Post
Hello All,

Thanks for your replies. Through different web searches, I'm zeroing towards parsippany or Montville school districts (if I decide to relocate in Morris county) or in Windsor/plainsborough school district. The company I'm joining has two offices, one in Morris county and another in Princeton, and I can possibly join either. So commute is similar in both cases. Would appreciate if anyone can compare parsippany/Montville with Pricenton/Windor/Plainsboro ares in terms of 1. real estate 2.crime /living conditions/ things to do etc 3. schools (I'm assuming they are comparable, but please let me know if there're any strong opinions either ways).

regards,
PK
Look at two sources for school ratings
1) Greatschools.net
2) NJ Monthly Magazine

You will find that there are many schools that are very highly rated in Morris County. I'm up in that area often and I like it a lot. Draw a ten mile radius circle on a map around Morristown, it's all good stuff from what I've seen.

The Princeton area I can comment in more detail on as I am much more familiar with it. Same deal with the 10 mile radius around downtown Princeton, you will find some of the best towns and schools in Central NJ.

Surrounding the boro of Princeton you have Princeton Township
To the North - Montgomery Township
To the South Lawrenceville (north part above 95 only)* (schools not as good)**
To the East - West Windsor, Plainsboro and Cranbury
To the West - Pennington and Hopewell

All great schools, great towns, safe, clean and upscale. You can find more about these towns using city-data, or look directly on towns websites.

Nothing however, will beat an in person visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey