Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,821,593 times

Advertisements

oh the chemicals... we didn't get into that?
Our neighbors all around us have people come in , spraying **** on the grass that is neon yellow

Our grass looks 10x healthier, guess what, we don't do anything to it! We don't water it, we don't use pesticides, herbicides, etc.

beachouse, this is just NJ.. I think. At least suburban NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,993,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
It is kind of wasteful to use something that uses gas and creates noise just to blow leaves around when a rake does the same thing without the air and noise pollution.
You are entitled to your opinion. As long as it stays just that: an opinion. I love my leaf blower. It is a RedMax backpack blower with 230 mph output. Using it is fun and therapeutic. You strap it on and push the leaves into neat little piles. The power is fantastic. When you pull the trigger it pushes you back. Like driving a race car.

I can thoroughly clean my driveway and patio in 15 minutes. I will not tolerate any restrictions on my leaf blower. Or string trimmer. Or lawn mower. Or snowblower. All of them are fun and are a perk of life in the suburbs.

Now having said that, I am a good neighbor.

I never fire up the leaf blower before 12 Noon or after 6PM. I never blow the leaves into the street. The leaves get blown into piles, then put in the paper Home Depot bags.

I can see that it may soon be necessary to expand the 2nd Amendment to include lawn equipment. The environazis are always looking for a freedom to curtail. I haven't read every sign down at the Occupy protest. But I'm sure there is one protesting student loans and string trimmers.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM

532 posts, read 1,460,906 times
A no lawn mowing on Sunday ordinance would be a good start in the right direction!

Old 10-22-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
A no lawn mowing on Sunday ordinance would be a good start in the right direction!
Yes, more laws and restrictions are always a good thing in a free society. Why stop lawn maintenance on only 1/2 the weekend? When people are home from work and normally do that kind of thing? Why not utilize the police power of the state more efficiently. Ban the whole weekend. Or maybe, just allow lawn maintenance during a 2 hour window on Wednesdays?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:56 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
But a rake takes too long to clean up the mess and the blowers can prevent people from overexerting themselves.

Every year people drop dead from trying to rake leaves and shovel snow manually.
aten they should pay the neighborhood kids with rakes and shovels to do it for them. That's how it worked when we were kids. Except at my house, of course, where my six siblings and I were the rakers and shovelers.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. As long as it stays just that: an opinion. I love my leaf blower. It is a RedMax backpack blower with 230 mph output. Using it is fun and therapeutic. You strap it on and push the leaves into neat little piles. The power is fantastic. When you pull the trigger it pushes you back. Like driving a race car.

I can thoroughly clean my driveway and patio in 15 minutes. I will not tolerate any restrictions on my leaf blower. Or string trimmer. Or lawn mower. Or snowblower. All of them are fun and are a perk of life in the suburbs.

Now having said that, I am a good neighbor.

I never fire up the leaf blower before 12 Noon or after 6PM. I never blow the leaves into the street. The leaves get blown into piles, then put in the paper Home Depot bags.

I can see that it may soon be necessary to expand the 2nd Amendment to include lawn equipment. The environazis are always looking for a freedom to curtail. I haven't read every sign down at the Occupy protest. But I'm sure there is one protesting student loans and string trimmers.
No one's looking to curtain freedom, just get rid of that awful noise. Can't they make quieter leafblowers?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 PM

532 posts, read 1,460,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yes, more laws and restrictions are always a good thing in a free society. Why stop lawn maintenance on only 1/2 the weekend? When people are home from work and normally do that kind of thing? Why not utilize the police power of the state more efficiently. Ban the whole weekend. Or maybe, just allow lawn maintenance during a 2 hour window on Wednesdays?

It's not that far fetched.
Home improvements and certain maintenance are not permitted in many towns on Sunday.
Lets talk about tougher sentences on those repeat offenders now!

Old 10-23-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No one's looking to curtain freedom, just get rid of that awful noise. Can't they make quieter leafblowers?
It's the cheap ones that are most noisy. The better models have sound attenuation and run much quieter. Mine runs at 68db, which is fairly quiet, but it is a $500 pro model. The consumer garbage at Home Depot is much noisier.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was supposed to be "curtail", lol. Blame it on the merlot.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:05 AM

1 posts, read 867 times
Default You right!

I'm with you! Why can't we wait till all leaves are fallen and then just clean it once for all the season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: