Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:45 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,297,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Public campaign financing? Taxing me against my will to pay for the political aspirations of powerlusters.

If that is what you are offering as a positive attribute of life in Canada, you can keep it.

Public financing of political campaigns is immoral, and is another aberrant and obscene manifestation of collectivism run amok.
You are so right imagine politicians having to answer to those who elected them instead of answering to those who finance them. How ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 04:46 PM

87,995 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.phillips View Post
Hey everyone, I'll keep this short and try not to run on very long.

I'm a 24 male. I really want to run for local office in a few years, eventually possibly move up to US Congressman. I'm not really into it because I love politics (although it is an interest of mine, I hate the process and I don't care for politicians), I just am very interested in social and public policy and feel I could have a great impact on issues I care about. Maybe not even a politician but someone running an advocacy group or non-profit.

However.. it seems like politics in New Jersey is an exclusive group. The chances of defeating an incumbent or someone with the backing of established politicians seem close to nil. And I have no interest in joining the process of recycling the same old policies and the same old political dynasties. Worst, my local area would involve Newark, Essex County, or District 28.. so it seems like you'd have to overcome the powerhouses of the Sharpe's, Booker's, Rice's and Payne's of the world.

In a more general sense, is there hope for New Jersey politics? Is this club ever going to be broken? If there's no hope, I'm wondering if I should just see what I could do elsewhere?
If everyone who has the desire to make a difference doesn't because they wonder why they should bother, nothing will ever change. Go for it.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:31 PM

295 posts, read 278,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
As you can imagine, it's now very fashionable for politicians on both sides to support defunding public school systems.
Why (besides greed)? The public schools are one of the state's best selling points.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 PM

390 posts, read 1,362,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_the_inhaler View Post
Why (besides greed)? The public schools are one of the state's best selling points.
I could not agree with you more. We pay a lot to live here, but we do it for the safe towns and great public schools. There are lots of other places in the country where you can pay less, and get a lot less also.

It's no coincidence that Norcross (the Democrat's "boss" and also Christie's, a Republican, friend) is trying to get into the for profit charter school business. I promise you, it's no coincidence.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:45 PM

20 posts, read 29,533 times
Wow, interesting responses Thanks for all the replies. A little disheartening, but there is definitely a lot to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If everyone who has the desire to make a difference doesn't because they wonder why they should bother, nothing will ever change. Go for it.
I think that's why no one does maybe? Because they think it's pointless and unachievable? But you're right about going for something you care about.
I'll plan to learn as much as I can.. assess not only my chances but if this really the best way for me to make a difference. And then at the end of the day, I guess you just to work hard and try your best.

If I have to sell my soul though, I'm not really interested. However, that can't be the only way

Old 10-22-2011, 07:15 PM

87,995 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.phillips View Post
Wow, interesting responses Thanks for all the replies. A little disheartening, but there is definitely a lot to think about.

I think that's why no one does maybe? Because they think it's pointless and unachievable? But you're right about going for something you care about.
I'll plan to learn as much as I can.. assess not only my chances but if this really the best way for me to make a difference. And then at the end of the day, I guess you just to work hard and try your best.

If I have to sell my soul though, I'm not really interested. However, that can't be the only way
I'd love to see you succeed.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
I'll give you my simple version. You can't possibly get elected without owing favors to countless people. And you can't possibly repay those favors and make decisions that are best for the people at the same time.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:39 AM

23,306 posts, read 16,991,342 times
Default big surprise!.. NJ gov org chart lists electorate above the legislative reps

"Talk about blaming the victim"

That comment is right out the Elsie Cross Diversity Training course.

That comment answers the question of what's wrong with NJ.

A conditioned victim mentality that uses a skewered perspective as a reference point to select legislative representatives. A perspective that blames everyone else and takes no personal responsibility.

The NJ and national political system directly reflects the character of the electorate.

Politicians have evolved over the decades as natural selection to meet the requirements of 'nature'. NJ pols are the Darwinian finches that morphed to meet the reqirements of their specific islands. And....thay have done so in dramatic fashion to beome highly evolved.

Newark for example has had democratic rule since the 1940s. The electorate has a notion that there is an infinite linear relationship between money spent and desired result. This has gone on for more than half a century and is well tolerated by NJ voters. Similarly the NJ edu sytem use the same perspective of infinite money spent to achieve scholastic excellence. The electorate tolerates this insane philosophy and the politicians, NJEA and Municipal unions take advantage of the lack of activism and critical thinking that dominate the NJ electorate.

In any business organization the problem begins at least one level up from where the obvious problem is manifested.

It is a surprise to many NJ voters as evidenced in the quoted post above, that in the NJ government oragnizational chart the electorate is positioned above the legislative representatives.

A victim mentality raises the white flag of surrender and lays the fate of the 'victim' on the mercy of lawyers and legislators who speak the foreign language of legalese to ensure their employment and intercede with the gods on behalf of the people.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:16 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,097,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"Talk about blaming the victim"

That comment is right out the Elsie Cross Diversity Training course.
If so, even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.

Quote:
The NJ and national political system directly reflects the character of the electorate.
Which conveniently lets the politicians off the hook.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:21 PM

23,306 posts, read 16,991,342 times
Default can't let go of the victim role as it feels so comfortable

"Which conveniently lets the politicians off the hook."

It does not let the politicians off the hook!

There is a direct relationship bewteen voters and politicians.

To the literal processors in the crowd, the obvious problem is manifested in the behavior of the politicians who are the responsibility of the people who put them there.

The elected politicians are optional as others could be selected to replace them. Yet election after election the same career pols are re-elected using the same failed criteria.

Think of the politicians as bad plumbing installed by plumber/electorate who has inadequate skills.

The leaky pipes are causing a problem and that problem was originally enabled by a careless unskilled plummer. If the problem is resolved higher up the organizational chart the problem caused lower on the org chart goes away.

Take these economic gurus for example that are regularly re-elected.
If you re-elect these folks you are the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi7Rs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-YtqVIKTTE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey