Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:29 PM

20 posts, read 29,557 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'll keep this short and try not to run on very long.

I'm a 24 male. I really want to run for local office in a few years, eventually possibly move up to US Congressman. I'm not really into it because I love politics (although it is an interest of mine, I hate the process and I don't care for politicians), I just am very interested in social and public policy and feel I could have a great impact on issues I care about. Maybe not even a politician but someone running an advocacy group or non-profit.

However.. it seems like politics in New Jersey is an exclusive group. The chances of defeating an incumbent or someone with the backing of established politicians seem close to nil. And I have no interest in joining the process of recycling the same old policies and the same old political dynasties. Worst, my local area would involve Newark, Essex County, or District 28.. so it seems like you'd have to overcome the powerhouses of the Sharpe's, Booker's, Rice's and Payne's of the world.

In a more general sense, is there hope for New Jersey politics? Is this club ever going to be broken? If there's no hope, I'm wondering if I should just see what I could do elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:58 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,675,733 times
My theory is most politicians start out with good intentions. They want to make the world a better place and truly help the city/state/country. After time it becomes a lost cause and they realize they cannot elicit change without compromising some values. Whether that be taking contributions for a "favor" or voting for something they are against to gain a vote for themselves. As time goes on they become part of the system and part of the problem. The higher up you get, the worse you become because power corrupts. It just does. So I'd stick with the charities and other causes because you'd have more chance of doing good there. You sound like you have very good intentions and I think you will just end up frustrated and bitter if you enter politics. Maybe not on a local level (talking small town here, not Newark) but if you truly want to climb that ladder there is a price to pay and going up against the people you mentioned would be a challenge to win without engaging in some sort of corruption. They just about all do it in some form or another and if you want that position you will have to play the game as well. And it's a dirty one.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:08 AM

295 posts, read 279,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.phillips View Post
Hey everyone, I'll keep this short and try not to run on very long.

I'm a 24 male. I really want to run for local office in a few years, eventually possibly move up to US Congressman. I'm not really into it because I love politics (although it is an interest of mine, I hate the process and I don't care for politicians), I just am very interested in social and public policy and feel I could have a great impact on issues I care about. Maybe not even a politician but someone running an advocacy group or non-profit.?
Note that a large amount of a politican's time is spent raising money for elections. Moreso the higher up you get. So if you're not comfortable asking people for money (many of whom will want something in return) you might want to go a different route to achieve your goals. You have to get people to believe in you. You're going to lose a few. Maybe you can try to be on a congressman's staff to see what the life is like?

Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,324,681 times
If you really want to find out about NJ politics contact former NBA star and NJ Senator Bill Bradley, he can clue you in about everything you want to know about being a successful politician.Then ask him why he quit politics.

NBA basketball is much easier to be successful.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:46 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,846,412 times
Move to Canada, they have laws that keep the process from becoming corrupt as it has in the U.S. - like public campaign financing, and strict laws about campaign advertising and airtime. They also have a true multi-party system, not the two-horse race with two identical corporate owned horses.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:51 AM

19,056 posts, read 25,182,447 times
What the OP says is true, however this is not unique to NJ.

If you want to run for virtually any elective office in virtually any area of the US, you will encounter the same types of entrenched groups and individuals who hold the power to include you or exclude you from the process. Whether they are Republicans or Democrats, each district of each state has a local political machine that holds sway.

And, in addition to having to contend with the entrenched centers of power in every area, anyone running for office has to confront the reality that fund-raising is a constant, ongoing necessity and can lead to alliances that are not necessarily the best or the most moral.

Yes, this is a sad commentary, but the situation in NJ is no different from what you would find if you want to run for office anywhere in the US.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:58 AM

23,390 posts, read 17,061,069 times
Any problem with politics is a direct result of the electorate.

NJ has a problem with the electorate.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 AM

10,220 posts, read 19,134,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Any problem with politics is a direct result of the electorate.
Talk about blaming the victim.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,992,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Move to Canada, they have laws that keep the process from becoming corrupt as it has in the U.S. - like public campaign financing, and strict laws about campaign advertising and airtime. They also have a true multi-party system, not the two-horse race with two identical corporate owned horses.
Public campaign financing? Taxing me against my will to pay for the political aspirations of powerlusters.

If that is what you are offering as a positive attribute of life in Canada, you can keep it.

Public financing of political campaigns is immoral, and is another aberrant and obscene manifestation of collectivism run amok.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:09 AM

390 posts, read 1,363,876 times
If you want to run for office in NJ and be successful, you have to get close to Norcross, Republican or Democrat. He's in charge.

And right now Norcross is pushing hard to have his company open for profit charter schools with tax payer money. As you can imagine, it's now very fashionable for politicians on both sides to support defunding public school systems. Hell, we're getting two for profit "virtual" charter schools (ie: no teachers, kids don't actually go to school) next year! Lots of profit involved.

Jump on the bandwagon and I'm sure he'll notice you. You may lose your soul in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey