Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:20 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,353,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Like Hockey games, there will be people watching and waiting for the 1st car to flip into the crowd.
you're thinking indy and nascar. in fact, when the indy crash happened recently that killed the driver, lots of people spoke about the safety in F1. plus, even though it's high speed, they don't have the same types of turns. it's more technical driving due to the course structures than purely speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 AM

7,216 posts, read 11,897,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Hey my nephew lives in redneckville, NJ
Really? I'm sure I know him then. You know how it is, everybody knows everybody in the trailerhood.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,094,242 times
F1 coming to Weehawken -> Awesome. Just awesome. I'll watch that. I don't even like cars all that much but it's still awesome

Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,547,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
have you ever watched the Monaco race on television? this is going to draw for the same reasons that does. it will be pretty cool to see in person.
Totally agree. If you've never seen a F1 race, you have no idea what they are like and what a massive draw they are. You will also be getting plenty of people travelling from overseas to these races as the location is perfect for seeing NYC and taking in the race. Since most people associate racing in America with NASCAR, take sometime to watch footage from F1 and see the difference. I like both, but there is just a totally different vibe from F1 racing. The only thing I could see people complaining about is the noise. Those cars are LOUD. I went to a race in Belgium and we had to park 2 miles from the track and you could hear those engines screaming from that far away.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:21 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,326,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Totally agree. If you've never seen a F1 race, you have no idea what they are like and what a massive draw they are. You will also be getting plenty of people travelling from overseas to these races as the location is perfect for seeing NYC and taking in the race. Since most people associate racing in America with NASCAR, take sometime to watch footage from F1 and see the difference. I like both, but there is just a totally different vibe from F1 racing. The only thing I could see people complaining about is the noise. Those cars are LOUD. I went to a race in Belgium and we had to park 2 miles from the track and you could hear those engines screaming from that far away.
You are right about a lot of people attending. I might attend if I happen to be in NJ that week.

But F1 is similar to the Indy 500 in that it is a spectacle where a lot of people attend because of what it is rather than being actual race fans.

400K attend the Indy 500 but only about 25K attend the rest of the races in the series.

I am sure thousands will attend F1 in NJ and it will be the first race of any type they ever attended.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You are right about a lot of people attending. I might attend if I happen to be in NJ that week.

But F1 is similar to the Indy 500 in that it is a spectacle where a lot of people attend because of what it is rather than being actual race fans.

400K attend the Indy 500 but only about 25K attend the rest of the races in the series.

I am sure thousands will attend F1 in NJ and it will be the first race of any type they ever attended.
which is exactly what F-1 wants. More potential race fans. Like many events, there are people that will attend just to go, and there will be people who are die-hard fans. I'm not a real big fan of Nascar, but I went to Pocono because I grew up near there, and it was a local spectactle...what's your point exactly? Casual fans' money is meaningless?

also - funny that all F-1 races are a spectacle like the one Indy 500 race is...that's exactly why it's one of the top 3 most popular 'sports' in the world (rest of the world, not so in U.S.).

Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM
PDD

Quote:
which is exactly what F-1 wants. More potential race fans. Like many events, there are people that will attend just to go, and there will be people who are die-hard fans. I'm not a real big fan of Nascar, but I went to Pocono because I grew up near there, and it was a local spectactle...what's your point exactly? Casual fans' money is meaningless?

also - funny that all F-1 races are a spectacle like the one Indy 500 race is...that's exactly why it's one of the top 3 most popular 'sports' in the world (rest of the world, not so in U.S.).
I am not knocking F1 coming to NJ I just have my doubts that it will be successful for more than one race.

Lets see F1 run 30+ races a year in one country and tell me how it's the most popular form of racing.

It's great that you enjoy F1 but it is what it is, a spectacle for non racing fans.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I am not knocking F1 coming to NJ I just have my doubts that it will be successful for more than one race.

Lets see F1 run 30+ races a year in one country and tell me how it's the most popular form of racing.

It's great that you enjoy F1 but it is what it is, a spectacle for non racing fans.
Why does a racing circuit need to all occur in 1 country for it to not be a spectacle? Why do you think "non racing fans" are the people that follow F-1? Is World Rally Car series not "racing"?

Ever think that maybe there's a reason why Nascar and Indycar race ONLY in 1 country, and not in multiple?

Bottom line is, each series has it's own definititive style of racing. Formula 1 has plenty of racing fans. It's one of the top 3 most popular sports in the world. Soccer and Cycling are the other 2.

It may or may not be successful in NJ for more than one race (though they are also racing at the new track in Texas, and I believe that's a multi year deal), but that doesn't speak to whether or not it is a popular sport in the world, that tells you if it's a popular sport in the U.S. They are looking to grow in North America. Will they be successful? Maybe, maybe not. But they don't need North America to care about it, they have plenty of money and fans, they just want more.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:51 PM
PDD

Quote:
Why does a racing circuit need to all occur in 1 country for it to not be a spectacle? Why do you think "non racing fans" are the people that follow F-1? Is World Rally Car series not "racing"?

Ever think that maybe there's a reason why Nascar and Indycar race ONLY in 1 country, and not in multiple?

Bottom line is, each series has it's own definititive style of racing. Formula 1 has plenty of racing fans. It's one of the top 3 most popular sports in the world. Soccer and Cycling are the other 2.

It may or may not be successful in NJ for more than one race (though they are also racing at the new track in Texas, and I believe that's a multi year deal), but that doesn't speak to whether or not it is a popular sport in the world, that tells you if it's a popular sport in the U.S. They are looking to grow in North America. Will they be successful? Maybe, maybe not. But they don't need North America to care about it, they have plenty of money and fans, they just want more.
Let's all come back here in a couple of years and talk about what was, rather than speculate at what it might be.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 PM

11,301 posts, read 16,609,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
Safety is of outmost importance in F1, there has not been a car flying into the crowd since 1955 and that was in LeMans.

Driving the Formula 1 racetrack in New Jersey - Video | NJ.com

Somebody will have to pour millions of dollars into preparing the the local roads for a F1 race, widening the track, including removing the speed bumps, ha
Great elevation change, before the 180° turn should be a great overtaking opportunity

hrhr, I can't wait
Yeah, but this is Jersey. Opps!!! was that a pot hole that was repaired and now has another hole...opps!!! flip into the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey