Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:24 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,940,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
i agree that newark isn't a good place but i think you're overexaggerating a bit. newark is one of those places you just need to know how to conduct yourself and where to go. i think this is the main reason why many rutgers newark/njit students end up becoming targets for robberies and etc while essex county college has no incidents with its students being robbed, assaulted etc. it also makes things look even worse when rutgers/njit/ecc are right across from each other and njit/rutgers newark has more security precautions than ecc does. i remember hearing tons of incidents especially this one incident where someone that either went to njit or rutgers newark got robbed in 6 in the morning joggling on mlk blvd. now not to be stereotypical or racist but any street in a city that has martin luther king, malcolm x, marcus garvey or is named after any black civil rights person is either in or nearby a bad area. the person got robbed on central ave and mlk which is a known hot spot because it's next to the projects and the rougher parts of newark. the person was asking for trouble doing that. if you act like you know the area, you'll be good. if you come off acting and looking like you don't know where to go, you'll get robbed. that's what i noticed between people at rutgers and people that go to ecc. you can't go around newark acting like you're at a tourist attraction.

hell, i hear you on night classes though. a part of me was a little paranoid about the crime but at the same time, i don't remember seeing anybody outthere at all. it was just deserted. hell, nothing happened to me. i remember back when i was in ecc, walking all the way down market street by myself to catch the bus at penn station. newark isn't all that bad.
agreed I don't get it either newark is dead at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,784,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I can't stand when the train I ride pulls up into Newark to pickup people at Broad Street. The whole mood on the train changes when those people board.

I just don't understand how Newark got so bad.
Thats so sheltered , most of the people use Board Street are College students and Newarkers who work in NYC.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
i agree that newark isn't a good place but i think you're overexaggerating a bit. newark is one of those places you just need to know how to conduct yourself and where to go. i think this is the main reason why many rutgers newark/njit students end up becoming targets for robberies and etc while essex county college has no incidents with its students being robbed, assaulted etc. it also makes things look even worse when rutgers/njit/ecc are right across from each other and njit/rutgers newark has more security precautions than ecc does. i remember hearing tons of incidents especially this one incident where someone that either went to njit or rutgers newark got robbed in 6 in the morning joggling on mlk blvd. now not to be stereotypical or racist but any street in a city that has martin luther king, malcolm x, marcus garvey or is named after any black civil rights person is either in or nearby a bad area. the person got robbed on central ave and mlk which is a known hot spot because it's next to the projects and the rougher parts of newark. the person was asking for trouble doing that. if you act like you know the area, you'll be good. if you come off acting and looking like you don't know where to go, you'll get robbed. that's what i noticed between people at rutgers and people that go to ecc. you can't go around newark acting like you're at a tourist attraction.

hell, i hear you on night classes though. a part of me was a little paranoid about the crime but at the same time, i don't remember seeing anybody outthere at all. it was just deserted. hell, nothing happened to me. i remember back when i was in ecc, walking all the way down market street by myself to catch the bus at penn station. newark isn't all that bad.
I honestly wouldn't take any night classes in a Urban area , you set yourself up to be target....unless with a group which 99% your not. Common sense and the Manhattan common sense rule apply to all cities in this region...but most people in this region don't use common sense. So they get robbed , attacked , have accidents or get scammed.....

Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 AM

10,220 posts, read 19,136,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
do you think more trains should bypass newark???
I think she's imagining things. It's not like every thug in Newark gets on the train there.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM

10,220 posts, read 19,136,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats so sheltered , most of the people use Board Street are College students and Newarkers who work in NYC.
And transfers from other trains.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
And transfers from other trains.
Indeed transfers , the station itself is policed either by Newark PD or NJT PD....so its safe. Its not even close to the bad areas...its just isolated , unlike Penn.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:22 PM

376 posts, read 663,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I honestly wouldn't take any night classes in a Urban area , you set yourself up to be target....unless with a group which 99% your not. Common sense and the Manhattan common sense rule apply to all cities in this region...but most people in this region don't use common sense. So they get robbed , attacked , have accidents or get scammed.....
i agree with you on that but i seriously believe that a lot of these incidents where people end up getting robbed, they either go to an area that is a hot bed for crime, a street that doesn't have that much traffic, or they come off acting like they don't belong in the area. i know i've had crackheads and bums i never seen before in my life saying what up to me when i was walking down rutgers newark (i'm not a crackhead, junkie, drug dealer or whatever). they seemed very friendly to me and some of them asked me for change, i told them no kindly and they went told me to have a nice day and etc. i bet those same folks would probably scare the bejesus out of someone else though. another thing too, i think demeanor also counts too. if you come off like a coward or like you're ready to get robbed, they might take advantage of that. i remember last year when i was waiting at the bus stop on university and warren street (i think), this was around halloween. two kids walked passed me in ski masks and whatever, i looked at them like . then i overheard them saying "these guys are acting like we're going to rob them. i don't want your money. i have my own". funny because i feel the same way when somebody acts funny around me like i'm going to rob them. i'm not a thug. i'm a working man. i have my own damn money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey