Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:46 AM

4,284 posts, read 10,727,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NEWARK -- An NJ Transit bus driver was stabbed in what may have been a "busjacking" attempt in Newark Saturday, a spokeswoman for the transit agency said.

The driver was stabbed on Hawthorne Avenue on a No. 27 bus running from from the Irvington bus terminal to Clifton, said NJ Transit spokeswoman Penny Bassett Hackett.

The driver was taken to the hospital. His name and condition were not immediately available, Bassett Hackett said.

Newark Police are investigating the incident, NJ Transit officials said.
Guy tried to steal a bus?

What a mess

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 10-23-2011 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 02:39 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,769,453 times
I doubt it was a bus jacking , probably tried to rob the bus driver.....

Old 10-23-2011, 04:32 PM

15 posts, read 17,365 times
wow just wow

Old 10-25-2011, 02:10 PM

831 posts, read 2,818,617 times
Newark is a nightmare. I fear for my mothers life everyday she is at work in that city.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,506,869 times
punishments for violent crimes arent anywhere near where they should be

Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 PM

360 posts, read 1,016,761 times
Considering the state of the economy (and the general state of Newark even in GOOD times), I'm not surprised.

I've been going to school in Newark for almost a year now. In the spring semester there WERE problems near Rutgers but it's so much worse this fall - night and day. Part of it is the cutbacks in the police funding - part of it is that people who were poor before are now becoming desperate.

I just keep reminding myself that it's only a few more weeks and I will never have to take a night class there again.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,937,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
Considering the state of the economy (and the general state of Newark even in GOOD times), I'm not surprised.

I've been going to school in Newark for almost a year now. In the spring semester there WERE problems near Rutgers but it's so much worse this fall - night and day. Part of it is the cutbacks in the police funding - part of it is that people who were poor before are now becoming desperate.

I just keep reminding myself that it's only a few more weeks and I will never have to take a night class there again.
a truly pathetic place which only contributes to stigmas accociated with buses.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 PM

831 posts, read 2,818,617 times
I can't stand when the train I ride pulls up into Newark to pickup people at Broad Street. The whole mood on the train changes when those people board.

I just don't understand how Newark got so bad.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,937,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I can't stand when the train I ride pulls up into Newark to pickup people at Broad Street. The whole mood on the train changes when those people board.

I just don't understand how Newark got so bad.
do you think more trains should bypass newark???

Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 PM

376 posts, read 663,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post

i agree that newark isn't a good place but i think you're overexaggerating a bit. newark is one of those places you just need to know how to conduct yourself and where to go. i think this is the main reason why many rutgers newark/njit students end up becoming targets for robberies and etc while essex county college has no incidents with its students being robbed, assaulted etc. it also makes things look even worse when rutgers/njit/ecc are right across from each other and njit/rutgers newark has more security precautions than ecc does. i remember hearing tons of incidents especially this one incident where someone that either went to njit or rutgers newark got robbed in 6 in the morning joggling on mlk blvd. now not to be stereotypical or racist but any street in a city that has martin luther king, malcolm x, marcus garvey or is named after any black civil rights person is either in or nearby a bad area. the person got robbed on central ave and mlk which is a known hot spot because it's next to the projects and the rougher parts of newark. the person was asking for trouble doing that. if you act like you know the area, you'll be good. if you come off acting and looking like you don't know where to go, you'll get robbed. that's what i noticed between people at rutgers and people that go to ecc. you can't go around newark acting like you're at a tourist attraction.

hell, i hear you on night classes though. a part of me was a little paranoid about the crime but at the same time, i don't remember seeing anybody outthere at all. it was just deserted. hell, nothing happened to me. i remember back when i was in ecc, walking all the way down market street by myself to catch the bus at penn station. newark isn't all that bad.

Last edited by the nation is still angry; 10-28-2011 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey