Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 8,238 times

Advertisements

Dear NJ Forum members,

I came to this forum in 2008 seeking advice for my move from St. Louis to Northern NJ. (link -//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...rsey-help.html) I got a ton of timely and useful suggestions. Since then I've come back to this forum often to read and research. So, thank you all for this wonderful and dynamic resource.

I will be moving to Cambridge, MA before the end of this year to take up a new position. But, before I do I wanted to put down a few thoughts and let you all know how my 3.5 years in NJ went -

Good things first
1. NJ has an image problem. What you hear about NJ around the country does not match what is reality. Jersey has beautiful highlands in and great beaches, all within a couple of hours of each other. Great towns and urban areas in Morristown and Jersey City to name a couple. Unfortunately, what every one else sees are the factories and highway spaghetti when they transit through EWR.

2. The ethnic diversity in NJ might be a cause of consternation to a few, but I think it is resource that we should nurture and figure out how to exploit. It is a rare place where anyone in the world can come to and immediately find a community to feel at home with.

3. The people of NJ I find are generally a helpful and friendly bunch. There have been numerous instances of a good will gesture when none was required or expected.

4. Though many here might not agree with me, given the weather here the road infrastructure is top notch. Well planned and maintained roads gets you around easily even with the high population density.

Now for a couple of gripes -

1. For the life of me I do not understand the 100s of municipalities all around the state. Though this might allow a finer level of self determination for a community, it comes at a real cost. These small communities just cannot come up with the resources to build up social and cultural institutions. It is sad that for almost any kind of quality cultural pursuit it is NYC or bust. Even then, a trip to NYC ends up taking a whole day. Where are the museums, plays, zoos that I would like to go to when I have free weekday evening?

2. Though the road system is good, it is incredibly unfriendly to bicyclists and pedestrians. Even if you live only a mile away from work any where in Northern NJ, I would strongly advice you to leave your bicycle home if you value your life.

3. Though the public transit system had great reach and accessibility, the state is too far spread to fully benefit from it. The time and cost savings are never there. In fact in most cases, it takes more time and costs more than driving.

A few general comments -
1. Malls and shopping are an import part of NJ life.
2. Jug handles and U-turns take some getting used, and in the case of my wife, never.
3. Great food all around.
4. Property taxes, oh boy!

Hope the following helps someone in a similar situation as I was in -

(Quick background if you did not read my original post: My work place was in East Hanover, I wanted to buy a 3 bdrm house within an hour's commute and wanted to take transit if possible)

1. For the first year I rented (~$1100 for 1bd/1ba) in Randolph in one of those apartment farms and rode down Rt. 10 to work. It took me about 30 min each way. Randolph is either quite or dead depending on how you see it.

2. We move to another rental (~$1800 for 2bd/2ba) in Morris Plains and continued to drive down Rt. 10 for a 15 min commute. This is not much different from Randolph, but Morristown is closer and we had wonderful views of the NYC skyline (~30 miles away).

3. The smartest thing I did was deciding against buying. The houses we looked at in 2008-2009 have dropped further in value, and now that I am moving am not saddled with an illiquid asset.

Again, thank you all for your help over the last 3 or so years. Good luck. Though I have never come around to calling NJ home, it felt like visiting family. And of course, never got around to liking the Yankees. Go Cardinals!.

Now off to the Boston city data forum.
Cheers
-indy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 11:35 AM

41 posts, read 128,623 times
Hope you enjoyed your stay. Cambridge, MA is beautiful.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:42 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,782,631 times
While there aren't jug handles , New England is Roundabout city , every large town and city has a few of them...

Old 10-23-2011, 04:15 PM

21 posts, read 49,044 times
Just be glad you didn't buy!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 36,084,567 times
Thanks for passing through. You sound like a good neighbor. Best of luck.

Go Steelers!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:15 AM

683 posts, read 460,460 times
Great post and I think you were spot on. Best of luck with your move to MA.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,030,185 times
Good luck.

The real question is would you move back for another opportunity?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,954,131 times
Thanks for a terrific and honest post.

The only part I wonder about: "It is sad that for almost any kind of quality cultural pursuit it is NYC or bust. Even then, a trip to NYC ends up taking a whole day. Where are the museums, plays, zoos that I would like to go to when I have free weekday evening?"

Really, I think you missed out on some of NJ if this was your experience. Community Theate, Morris Museum, Newark Museum, NJ PAC, Paper Mill Playhouse come immediately to mind. I think there are as many options as any area where you are living an hour from a major city.

Good luck in Cambridge. Boston is one of the best cities in the US.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,614,111 times
Nice post. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 PM

11,301 posts, read 16,606,803 times
Remember that it's acceptable to yell out "Go Yankees" in Downtown Boston...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey