Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 07:14 AM

506 posts, read 1,953,058 times

Advertisements

South Brunswick schools observe Hindu holiday, district becomes second in N.J. to close for Diwali | NJ.com

I think it's definitely an interesting topic. On one hand, it's great to see that different cultures being assimilated into the US school system to help reflect the true diversity we see in the country, but on the other hand I can see the argument that a line needs to be drawn somewhere (so many cultures and religions with their own individual holidays).

Just as an aside, I am Indian but raised in a mixed/non-religious family (ranging from Atheists (including myself), Scientologists, Hindus, etc.). I will be observing Diwali with my aunt’s family this weekend, but never really knew Diwali actually fell on Wednesday nor did I expect any concession from work. But again, it was never really observed in a big way in my family, so perhaps we are an exception to the rule.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,030,185 times
My simplistic view on this is what holidays are given should be driven by the make-up of the school. If there are a lot of people of a certain religion it makes sense to give those holidays off.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 AM

23,390 posts, read 17,061,069 times
Default good trend for Nj schools

First day of firearms deer season should be a holiday. Areas of PA did that for a generation.

Makes sense locally so I'm sure it violates some standardized edu law. I wonder what other deviations would be allowed in Nj public schools?

Maybe performance merit raises for teachers and abandonment of tenure?

that would represent the desire of a large number of NJ residents so why couldn't that happen?

Who is first?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,905,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
First day of firearms deer season should be a holiday. Areas of PA did that for a generation.
WHAT?!?! You want to acknowledge the barbaric practice of HUNTING? You want to teach children that some people are, at least to some extent, self sufficient, that meat is not created in a factory, that the burger they are eating is part of an animal, and that hunters didn't die out with the saber-toothed cats?

(/sarcasm)

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:27 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,034,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
WHAT?!?! You want to acknowledge the barbaric practice of HUNTING? You want to teach children that some people are, at least to some extent, self sufficient, that meat is not created in a factory, that the burger they are eating is part of an animal, and that hunters didn't die out with the saber-toothed cats?

(/sarcasm)

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
Heh! Great commentary.

As an aside, there are still school districts in Pennsylvania that close for the first day of firearms and bow hunting season.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Heh! Great commentary.

As an aside, there are still school districts in Pennsylvania that close for the first day of firearms and bow hunting season.
When my niece was still in school in the Poconos, they always got the first day of hunting season off. My sister took out trail rides at a stable. They also got off, because idiots from the city who decided they would go hunting would shoot at the horses in the woods.

I read the article about South Brunswick in the paper the other day. They said that about a third of the school district's kids are Hindus. So, that makes sense.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,034,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When my niece was still in school in the Poconos, they always got the first day of hunting season off. My sister took out trail rides at a stable. They also got off, because idiots from the city who decided they would go hunting would shoot at the horses in the woods.

I read the article about South Brunswick in the paper the other day. They said that about a third of the school district's kids are Hindus. So, that makes sense.
Yeah. It's interesting down here with the influx of Indians over the last several years. What I appreciate is that most are respectful and ask the same from others.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,483,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
My simplistic view on this is what holidays are given should be driven by the make-up of the school. If there are a lot of people of a certain religion it makes sense to give those holidays off.
bam!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey