Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 PM

576 posts, read 1,593,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i've never seen anything like that in 6 years of living in Hoboken. peoples' perception of hoboken is really not in line anymore. yeah, there is the frat-boy crowd, but it's not like everywhere you walk in Hoboken you see that.
No, not to that extreme,but as the crowds let out it get pretty obnoxious around that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 09:14 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,353,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
No, not to that extreme,but as the crowds let out it get pretty obnoxious around that place.
that's true. so avoid 1st street where the bars are, avoid living above green rock, texas arizona, and hobson's, and avoid washington street below 6th. everywhere else in town, other than on st patrick's parade day, you'll virtually never encounter any of that.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:23 AM

43 posts, read 139,593 times
I'm in a similar boat. Late 20s male and can't decide between Hoboken or JC. I was recently at Barcade til about 1:30 AM on a Friday and felt safe enough walking back to the car (2 blocks away). I also saw multiple young professionals walking from Grove Path right past Barcade.

I've done the Hoboken thing for a year (6th and Jefferson). I never saw anything too out of the ordinary. The only time I questioned my immediate safety was near the light rail on 9th. At the time, it was very desolate. Not sure about now.

From what I've seen, downtown JC provides a better bang for the buck. I just don't know if I have enough experience with it to make a solid call. Hoboken rents have skyrocketed since I was there and many of the buildings offer little in the way of amenities.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemobes View Post
I'm in a similar boat. Late 20s male and can't decide between Hoboken or JC. I was recently at Barcade til about 1:30 AM on a Friday and felt safe enough walking back to the car (2 blocks away). I also saw multiple young professionals walking from Grove Path right past Barcade.

I've done the Hoboken thing for a year (6th and Jefferson). I never saw anything too out of the ordinary. The only time I questioned my immediate safety was near the light rail on 9th. At the time, it was very desolate. Not sure about now.

From what I've seen, downtown JC provides a better bang for the buck. I just don't know if I have enough experience with it to make a solid call. Hoboken rents have skyrocketed since I was there and many of the buildings offer little in the way of amenities.
you do get a little more for your money in downtown JC, but I've found the difference to be negligeable where my friends lived in JC compared to hoboken rents. the biggest difference to me really comes down to JC being a quieter area, Hoboken being more nightlife accessible. Also, if you go into the city at night a lot, JC is slightly more difficult to get home to than Hoboken on the late schedule. but that would be a minor impact to me.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:17 PM

19 posts, read 53,100 times
As a mid twenties female in Hoboken with a dog, I think it's perfectly safe. Even though you may get more bang for your buck in Jersey City home wise, I think the convenience of Hoboken is worth the slightly extra cost difference. I'm over the Hoboken late night bar scene, but the town still has plenty of other businesses I sorely miss now that I no longer live there. Not to mention, my dog loved the dog park and walking along the parts of the waterfront that are still standing...

I have not known anyone personally who had gotten into a random fight because of the drunken patrons on the street. I suspect, in those cases, often it was a give and take situation that escalated.

Jersey City is developing, but is still in the process of building it's community and local businesses. Personally, it's a little too quiet during the day for my liking.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:45 PM

43 posts, read 139,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you do get a little more for your money in downtown JC, but I've found the difference to be negligeable where my friends lived in JC compared to hoboken rents. the biggest difference to me really comes down to JC being a quieter area, Hoboken being more nightlife accessible. Also, if you go into the city at night a lot, JC is slightly more difficult to get home to than Hoboken on the late schedule. but that would be a minor impact to me.
You bring up a good point regarding nightlife, although it does seem like Hoboken's crime and downtown JC's crime are on par.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemobes View Post
You bring up a good point regarding nightlife, although it does seem like Hoboken's crime and downtown JC's crime are on par.
i don't know that i can venture a guess as to which area you would consider has more crime?

Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM

592 posts, read 2,184,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTea View Post
Too old for that. Barcade in Downtown JC is more my scene.

My main concern would be walking back to my apt at night from NYC or having to take my dog out at night to handle her business.
downtown jc is a big area, you want to check around the exchange place or newport path station. Cant get any safer than that it's protected by a forcefield, no problem walking around.

In general downtown jc are more modern highrises with large dept stores/mall while hoboken is more traditional brownstones charm with a lot of mom/pop shops like bakery, coffee etc... Hoboken also has a very active and young bar crowd at night (can be both good or bad). It really depends on what you like.

Speaking personally I like downtown jc much better, it's very convenient having the mall and all the large stores next door, not to mention path train(hoboken has a path station too but the better area further north is a decent walk to the path), and some peace and quiet! if i wanted crowds and people i would just take a 10min ride on the path and goto the city.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey