Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM

21 posts, read 48,973 times

Advertisements

So I posted a thread about Bayonne or the Heights.

Bayonne is a little too far way for me.

I found an apt in the Heights that I put an offer on, then I backed out today after seeing a teenage boy was shot one block away in Feb of this year. Two years ago 4 cops got shot farther down the street near JFK Ave.

Now I'm looking in Hoboken or Downtown. I'm willing to pay more for someplace I feel safe.

I'm a 30 yr old male. I come home late on weekends and need to walk my dog every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,748,155 times
There both safe , however on weekends at night in Hoboken it tends to be a zoo of drunken people and fights break out in the streets... Downtown Jersey City is a ghost town on the weekends and can be too quiet for some people's taste , but its safe.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM

390 posts, read 1,361,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTea View Post
So I posted a thread about Bayonne or the Heights.

Bayonne is a little too far way for me.

I found an apt in the Heights that I put an offer on, then I backed out today after seeing a teenage boy was shot one block away in Feb of this year. Two years ago 4 cops got shot farther down the street near JFK Ave.

Now I'm looking in Hoboken or Downtown. I'm willing to pay more for someplace I feel safe.

I'm a 30 yr old male. I come home late on weekends and need to walk my dog every night.
Hoboken has tons of people out and about at all hours. Downtown Jersey City (Newport) seems to be busy just during the day.

Both seem to be safe places though, but I'd tend to lean towards Hoboken.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM

576 posts, read 1,591,807 times
Hoboken and Downtown JC are very different. Both pretty safe places, Hoboken being the safer as long as you don't cross a frat boy the wrong way haha. Downtown JC is MUCH quieter than Hoboken so if thats what your looking for JC might fit the bill. Or if you like the bar and party thing Hoboken will be right up your alley.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM

21 posts, read 48,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Or if you like the bar and party thing Hoboken will be right up your alley.
Too old for that. Barcade in Downtown JC is more my scene.

My main concern would be walking back to my apt at night from NYC or having to take my dog out at night to handle her business.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTea View Post
Too old for that. Barcade in Downtown JC is more my scene.

My main concern would be walking back to my apt at night from NYC or having to take my dog out at night to handle her business.
Nah as long as your downtown you should be fine.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,240,700 times
Statistically, the downtown parts of JC and Hoboken are on the same level in terms of crime and safety.

But of course it depends on the exact location. For example, living in the Van Vorst Park or Paulus Hook neighborhood in JC is safer than the far west side of Hoboken, just as say, living on 2nd Street and Washington in Hoboken is probably safer than living on say, Brunswick Street in downtown JC.

But yeah, overall, very similar crime levels.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Statistically, the downtown parts of JC and Hoboken are on the same level in terms of crime and safety.

But of course it depends on the exact location. For example, living in the Van Vorst Park or Paulus Hook neighborhood in JC is safer than the far west side of Hoboken, just as say, living on 2nd Street and Washington in Hoboken is probably safer than living on say, Brunswick Street in downtown JC.

But yeah, overall, very similar crime levels.
Hoboken your most likely to get in a fight with some "bro" because he couldn't get laid that night, therefore taking it out on anyone he pleases. Downtown Jersey City is quiet and not like that at all, although there are sparatic shootings and muggings that occur in downtown JC , which you VERY rarely see in any part of Hoboken. Wasnt a guy shot right off of Grove St recently , which is Downtowns main hub?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,328,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There both safe , however on weekends at night in Hoboken it tends to be a zoo of drunken people and fights break out in the streets... Downtown Jersey City is a ghost town on the weekends and can be too quiet for some people's taste , but its safe.
eh. the heights is relatively safe too. my friend observed a gang-fight from his apartment by Exchange Place one night. police helicopter was by the pier, cops everywhere, gun shots, etc.

in hoboken, i lived on 1st and jefferson for years, and the owner of a bar near there got held up at gunpoint on first street once.

my friend lived on ogden avenue for years, and never had any trouble.

my point is, each area has it's own handful of isolated incidents, and i'd be fine living in either of the 3.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,328,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Hoboken your most likely to get in a fight with some "bro" because he couldn't get laid that night, therefore taking it out on anyone he pleases. Downtown Jersey City is quiet and not like that at all, although there are sparatic shootings and muggings that occur in downtown JC , which you VERY rarely see in any part of Hoboken. Wasnt a guy shot right off of Grove St recently , which is Downtowns main hub?
i've never seen anything like that in 6 years of living in Hoboken. peoples' perception of hoboken is really not in line anymore. yeah, there is the frat-boy crowd, but it's not like everywhere you walk in Hoboken you see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey