Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:45 PM

66 posts, read 386,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikemonroe View Post
I saw the homes when the prices were 525 K only on Mission drive for Guilford model. However I took some time deciding and once made the mind the prices shot to 550 K for the same Guilford model. Unluckily that happened in between the time frame I already made my mind to buy but could not go to the sales office due to other schedules. After putting all these facts against the sales people they still stuck to their price - did not lower a penny and I ended up with 550 K. However I finally bought and am now already moved in. I also tried to negotiate some free upgrades since I paid a higher price than most people on the same street with same model, but builder did not even negotiate on upgardes.
I have heard though that now the builder does negotiate particularly for the spec homes i.e. half built ones.
The do not negotiate one bit when it comes to price or the upgrades, we to booked a guilford for 550 K, That was with the 50 K off that the builder was giving on some models.
Just last month I heard the sales lady tell a person who was interested in buying a lot that they r not offering any deals on lots and that the price is up to 600K again.
So I guess we have to consider ourselves lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 AM

11 posts, read 50,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousnowhere View Post
Our closing too is postponed by one full month
This community is known for taking the longest time to close, 10 months to a year.
10 months would be great. For us it took a complete 14 and 1 half month from when we signed the contract i.e. 14.5 months + few days. Also talking with neighbors most had their homes closed about 2 months late than promised on the contract. There were few exceptions I heard whose homes were completed before time but those guys didn't want to close earlier than contract date!!
So people who wants quicker, their homes are delayed. And the builder completed those homes quicker who don't want the homes quicker.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
The do not negotiate one bit when it comes to price or the upgrades, we to booked a guilford for 550 K, That was with the 50 K off that the builder was giving on some models.
Just last month I heard the sales lady tell a person who was interested in buying a lot that they r not offering any deals on lots and that the price is up to 600K again.
So I guess we have to consider ourselves lucky.
I think they were not giving any off for homes other than Mission drive from the beginning. Mission drive is kinda out of the main development. See its entrance. And we have large conservation easements too. That is why they slashed the price there, it's no favor. But they would just tell that they are giving 50K or 75K whatever off to look nicer. In the end the values of homes on Mission drive will be lesser than the rest of the development when and if you will be ready to sell.
However you are really lucky if you got 50K off on homes other than Mission drive.
For me I simply lost 25K but it was my mistake. However I am still happy because in central Jersey the comparable size old homes would have cost even more than this one and we at least got brand new home. Also nearby developments are much more pricey.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:08 AM

132 posts, read 631,584 times
Try to make an effort to visit your home site during construction - Sat afternoon or Sunday, when nobody is working, and keep an eye for noticible mistakes on upgrades from your home plans. Builders typically have only 2 walk thru (frame and dry wall) with the home owners and if mistakes are noticed prior to the final walk thru, the fixes will delay closing.
When our home was being built (2 yrs ago/diff dev), our weekend visits uncovered: missing wiring to future island location, recessed light receptacles improperly distributed, crack step on staircase in garage, missing window in basement.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I think they were not giving any off for homes other than Mission drive from the beginning. Mission drive is kinda out of the main development. See its entrance. And we have large conservation easements too. That is why they slashed the price there, it's no favor. But they would just tell that they are giving 50K or 75K whatever off to look nicer. In the end the values of homes on Mission drive will be lesser than the rest of the development when and if you will be ready to sell.
However you are really lucky if you got 50K off on homes other than Mission drive.
For me I simply lost 25K but it was my mistake. However I am still happy because in central Jersey the comparable size old homes would have cost even more than this one and we at least got brand new home. Also nearby developments are much more pricey.
Our home is on Orchard Grove and there were a couple of homes on Makeyla Drive with 75 K off when we were looking.
We took the one on Orchard Grove as the backyards face an open area hence a little more privacy.
Do the lots on mission drive get a leveled flat backyard or are they supposed to leave the trees etc as it is as conservation areas ?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2do4now View Post
Try to make an effort to visit your home site during construction - Sat afternoon or Sunday, when nobody is working, and keep an eye for noticible mistakes on upgrades from your home plans. Builders typically have only 2 walk thru (frame and dry wall) with the home owners and if mistakes are noticed prior to the final walk thru, the fixes will delay closing.
When our home was being built (2 yrs ago/diff dev), our weekend visits uncovered: missing wiring to future island location, recessed light receptacles improperly distributed, crack step on staircase in garage, missing window in basement.
That is a great idea but it does not work with this builder. There is a cluase in the contract that you cannot go inside the property till you close it. Not that we have to follow that clause. So we used to go over some weekends when time permits, but only mistakes you would uncover will be big ones unless you were building a new construction before and had knowledge of lot of stuff. Also this builder does only one walkthru which is a day or few days before closing, that is it. Nobody usually want to delay closing for small things. So now we have to call these guys to fix one thing or another, also have to call their contractors directly. One thing they missed was a standard light which I had to get done and there was a mess of sheetrock they left on the new carpet. I probably might not have noticed that light missing but my brother has same model also on same street and that missing light was obviously found.
Another story about going over weekends is we caught a missing central vacuum system for my brother's home. When we approached the sales' ladies they asked how did we know and when my brother said he saw it was not there, one of the ladies there said that we were not even supposed to go inside. We tresspassed and can even be arrested for doing so. They have their security people in the complex all the time. They told us that we should not go next time inside the property otherwise they might take action instead for accepting their mistake politely. I had to finally raise my voice and then she said she will let builder know.
Anybody who has dealt with these ladies in the sales office should know that they don't answer a single question nicely. It is always a kinda battle if you dare to ask them something.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Our home is on Orchard Grove and there were a couple of homes on Makeyla Drive with 75 K off when we were looking.
We took the one on Orchard Grove as the backyards face an open area hence a little more privacy.
Do the lots on mission drive get a leveled flat backyard or are they supposed to leave the trees etc as it is as conservation areas ?
When I signed the contract the ones which you are talking about were all 600K for guilford. So they came down later on due to the market conditions I think.
The lots on mission are having good bakyard but most lots are rectangular as opposed to square in rest of development, so homes are close to each other meaning very little sideyards although a decent sized backyard. However there is a conservation easement in almost all lots which in my case I believe is 30 ft. So they in fact planted trees 30 feets from curb which will eventually grow up so actual yard you get to use is less by 30 fts in the backyard. So there is a kinda catch everywhere.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:18 AM

132 posts, read 631,584 times
Quote:
That is a great idea but it does not work with this builder. There is a cluase in the contract that you cannot go inside the property till you close it. Not that we have to follow that clause. So we used to go over some weekends when time permits, but only mistakes you would uncover will be big ones unless you were building a new construction before and had knowledge of lot of stuff. Also this builder does only one walkthru which is a day or few days before closing, that is it. Nobody usually want to delay closing for small things. So now we have to call these guys to fix one thing or another, also have to call their contractors directly. One thing they missed was a standard light which I had to get done and there was a mess of sheetrock they left on the new carpet. I probably might not have noticed that light missing but my brother has same model also on same street and that missing light was obviously found.
Another story about going over weekends is we caught a missing central vacuum system for my brother's home. When we approached the sales' ladies they asked how did we know and when my brother said he saw it was not there, one of the ladies there said that we were not even supposed to go inside. We tresspassed and can even be arrested for doing so. They have their security people in the complex all the time. They told us that we should not go next time inside the property otherwise they might take action instead for accepting their mistake politely. I had to finally raise my voice and then she said she will let builder know.
Anybody who has dealt with these ladies in the sales office should know that they don't answer a single question nicely. It is always a kinda battle if you dare to ask them something.
We had a similar problem with multiple light switches controlling the kitchen island overhead where they miswired but we caught it in one of our stealth visits . Despite being very meticulous with the visual stuff, I was short changed an electrical outlet in the family room. I paid extra for an add'l outlet in the middle of the wall where I'd hang the TV but they skipped on the standard outlet at the bottom. Other stuff we found were: scratched kitchen faucet, crappy bushes in front, etc.

Builders do not allow unsupervised visits to building sites for safety (insurance/liability) reasons but your sales office lack of attention is absurd considering the amount of money being paid for new constructions.

For anyone going through their new construction experience, the buyer can always threaten to delay closing until fixes are done. ..... unless of course you are not in a rush to move in.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
When I signed the contract the ones which you are talking about were all 600K for guilford. So they came down later on due to the market conditions I think.
The lots on mission are having good bakyard but most lots are rectangular as opposed to square in rest of development, so homes are close to each other meaning very little sideyards although a decent sized backyard. However there is a conservation easement in almost all lots which in my case I believe is 30 ft. So they in fact planted trees 30 feets from curb which will eventually grow up so actual yard you get to use is less by 30 fts in the backyard. So there is a kinda catch everywhere.
Yes u r right , all the guilfords were 600K which were later reduced.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2do4now View Post
As someone has already said walk through during construction is immpossible with this community.We too were told the same thing and were warned not to enter the construction site for not matter what reason.
The are also keeping the doors locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey