Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:15 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,098,602 times

Advertisements

I can second the thing about the bus. I love trains but I don't want to take any buses. The idea of it just conjures up a feeling of crappiness, poverty, etc. Buses are where people get stabbed.

Trains on the other hand are huge, so there's plenty of room, and the ride is amazingly smooth. And it's much faster going somewhere since there's no traffic. And it's got a wonderful view. Can be in downtown Manhattan in 40 minutes. You can ride a train and you don't feel like a poor person/are in some crappy place

I know I'm not just imaginging things/it's not just me about the bus, because on shows the bus is always the butt of jokes. I remember an episode of It's always sunny in philadelphia, where Dee has to take the bus, she hates it and is mortified. Some huge fat guy won't move, and she's talking to him "Please move, Please move", then the guy just pukes a little onto his own shirt with a dead-eye stare.
Or on Invader Zim I remember there's a pretty funny similar type of scene when one of the character has to take the bus.

Is that elitist? I dunno, maybe. But I grew up in Bergen County, so that's how I feel. I'd imagine that's how a lot of other people here feel too, which matters since Bergen county is New Jersey's most populous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
that's exactly like the south jersey light rail
If you're referring to PATCO, it's not light rail.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 AM

857 posts, read 2,001,845 times
I dunno-
Have you ever taken the h/b light rail from, say, port imperial to liberty state park? That thing just CRAWLS. The schedule says somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 minutes, but i've found it more like 40+. Same /w the newark light rail. I took it from broad street station to newark penn the other day. besides the fact that I had to wait 20 mins for it (weekday, early evening, still rush hour), it took forever.

I'm a huge fan of public transit, but light rail, to me, seems like a cop-out. I don't want to compare apples to oranges, but the NYC subway (which, when compared to other trasnit systems around the world, is generally pretty crappy) comes every 3-5 mins during rush hour, and you can get from times square to WTC in 15 mins, for example.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
I dunno-
Have you ever taken the h/b light rail from, say, port imperial to liberty state park? That thing just CRAWLS. The schedule says somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 minutes, but i've found it more like 40+. Same /w the newark light rail. I took it from broad street station to newark penn the other day. besides the fact that I had to wait 20 mins for it (weekday, early evening, still rush hour), it took forever.

I'm a huge fan of public transit, but light rail, to me, seems like a cop-out. I don't want to compare apples to oranges, but the NYC subway (which, when compared to other trasnit systems around the world, is generally pretty crappy) comes every 3-5 mins during rush hour, and you can get from times square to WTC in 15 mins, for example.
Well the Main line of the Newark light Rail is fast. The Board Street branch is indeed very slow , its like 5mph for most of the route but still gets 6-8,000 daily riders. LRT is often built in places where you won't meet the need for Heavy Rail which is 150-200,000 in this region. Ive taken the LRT numerous times , its faster then the surrounding streets , buses and driving... you can go from one end of Hoboken to the Other in 5 mins , can't do that by car or bus. Almost every European city has a LRT system , and most Canadian cities do aswell , its cheaper , it can more then a bus is very attractive. The Subway is only built in High Density areas , like NYC or Downtown Jersey City or Philly.....and you cannot compare the subway to LRT too different leagues... There also a decent amount of slow subway lines in this region....and there a few terrible lines in terms of service....service like 2x and hr.... Ride the Riverline , that will change your mind on LRT or the Main line of the Newark LRT.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Newark Light Rail is like a subway. It's underground and stops at all the universities (Rutgers, NJIT, UMDNJ), along with access to Prudential Center, Newark Penn and Performing Arts Center. It does not stop for intersections since it's underground.
There are 2 segments of the light rail. The one that serves NJPAC stops for traffic lights; that thing is slower than the Go28 bus. The underground/main line also stops for lights at Orange St, Franklin Ave and Silver Lake, but the waits are tame compared to the Broad Street line. Don't know why they couldn't have built a tunnel under Broad/Mulberry Streets with stops at the arena, City Hall and later on the airport instead of a 10-minute shuttle ride.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 AM

I have filmed the entire Board Street line and Main and most of the HBLR...

Newark Light Rail : Newark Penn Station to Board Street Station

Newark Light Rail : Newark Penn Station to Board Street Station - YouTube

Newark Light Rail : Branch Brook Park to Norfolk Street

Newark Light Rail : Branch Brook Park to Norfolk Street - YouTube

Newark Light Rail @ Penn Station & Military Park

Newark Light Rail @ Penn Station & Military Park - YouTube

Old 10-27-2011, 11:48 AM

Hudson Bergen Light Rail

Hudson Bergen Light Rail form 45th Street to Richard Street bound for Hoboken Terminal

Hudson Bergen Light Rail form 45th Street to Richard Street to Hoboken Terminal - YouTube

Hudson Bergen Light Rail - Bayonne & Jersey City

Hudson Bergen Light Rail - Bayonne & Jersey City - YouTube

Hudson Bergen Light Rail : Jersey City-Hoboken

Hudson Bergen Light Rail : Jersey City-Hoboken - YouTube

Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 AM

Riverline

Passing the CSAO Pavonia Yard on a Northbound Riverline train

Passing the CSAO Pavonia Yard on a Northbound Riverline train - YouTube

Southbound Riverline Train passing Through Burlington,NJ

Southbound Riverline Train passing Through Burlington,NJ - YouTube

NJT Riverline in Downtown Camden,NJ

NJT Riverline in Downtown Camden,NJ - YouTube

Old 10-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Somebody said the Subway is faster....hmmm idk about that although they have express trains...there no faster in the Acceleration dept...

IRT Lexington Ave line - 4 - 5 - 6 @ 51st , 33rd , & 23rd Streets

IRT Lexington Ave line - 4 - 5 - 6 @ 51st , 33rd , & 23rd Streets - YouTube

IND Eighth Avenue Line A-C-E Action @ 14th Street

IND Eighth Avenue Line A-C-E Action @ 14th Street - YouTube

NYC Subway Video Mashup - 4-5-6-E-L-F-D-M trains

NYC Subway Video Mashup - 4-5-6-E-L-F-D-M trains - YouTube

Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
There are 2 segments of the light rail. The one that serves NJPAC stops for traffic lights; that thing is slower than the Go28 bus. The underground/main line also stops for lights at Orange St, Franklin Ave and Silver Lake, but the waits are tame compared to the Broad Street line. Don't know why they couldn't have built a tunnel under Broad/Mulberry Streets with stops at the arena, City Hall and later on the airport instead of a 10-minute shuttle ride.
Probably due to costs and the time it would take to do that. (See also: Why the second avenue subway in NYC.)

Although, I fully agree that the Broad St. branch is ridiculously slow and it really doesn't run nearly frequently enough during peak times. I take class at the business school building and it's generally quicker to either walk to Penn or walk to the Washington St station on the other side of campus than to catch the Broad St line to Penn. Frankly, if I'm not wearing heels and it's daytime that's what I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey