Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,718 times

Advertisements

How many days in writing does my landlord need when notifying him/her about repairs that have not been fixed since moving in?

I was told everything would be fixed before moving in; however, nothing was fixed. I have a bathroom in the basement but the mirror has not been put in yet and door knob missing from the basement to kitchen entrance, Every time the landlord comes over to fix something nothing gets done or I would get an "I will be there on the wknd" but the landlord never shows up and if he does show up it's like he just touches a few things but never actually fixes anything.

I also have a broken window in my basement that has not been fixed yet for the last two months (occurred during the hurricane) and is completely missing which basically poses a personal safety issue. Lawnmower has been broken for the last two months due to massive flood. The basement was flooded which caused the carpet (no longer there) to get wet.

I believe there may also be mold down there which keeps the children from playing. Landlord spoke about putting tile down but decided to do carpet again but has not made an attempt to start. The landlord made a 3 inch hole in the bathroom ceiling to let water out and has not fixed that either. All these problems occurred 2-5 months ago and not one thing has been fixed. I'm basically getting a lot of empty promises.

Please also note that I still have the original lease which has not been fully signed yet. The landlord seems like a nice person but his actions show lots of negligence. What are my options for handling this situation?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 05:36 PM

831 posts, read 2,818,053 times
yikes.

maybe break the lease and move?

Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,005,150 times
what do you mean your lease isn't fully signed?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
what do you mean your lease isn't fully signed?
pages were initialed only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey