Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 AM

88 posts, read 263,049 times

Advertisements

wanted to buy a house and saw a lot of cheap properties in union city. Since cities change so much i'd like to know how it is present day? I saw very little crime reported on spotcrime.com and saw that a lot of cubans live there, who I believe are VERY difference from PR and Dominicans.
Good neighborhood or bad? Up and coming or going downhill?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 AM

595 posts, read 1,552,531 times
union city for the most part is NOT cuban, just random central american hispanics etc. it used to be cuban. it is 87% hispanic and pretty poor. i wouldnt send kids to their schools

Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,940,578 times
I lived in Weehawken for a couple years one block away from Union City before buying a condo in UC off of Park Ave. by the Pathmark across the street from Weehawken, north of Rt 495. My wife and I are Asian with no kids right now.

Yup the majority of the population is hispanic...87% is a good number. If you're going to get anything in UC, I recommend north of 495 and furthest east you can get, closer to Park Ave. and Blvd E. I'd stay away from downtown UC or the area south of 30th St as things go a bit downhill from there and most crime in UC happens down there where you get closer to the JC borderline. For the most part UC is actually fairly clean compared to many other poor communities where garbage is rampant. Most buildings and houses are dated with the exception of new condo/apartment buildings that are around.

It used to be mainly Cuban which its not so much anymore but there are still clusters of them around. Unfortunately its a ripe environment for illegals to come into. Doesn't help the school system when there's so many people not paying taxes in addition to many living at or below the poverty line.

Anyhow my wife and I chose to buy a place here because it'll be 7-8 yrs before we even have kids so at least 12 yrs or so before they hit school. We bought our condo which was a short sale and the place was only 4 yrs old. The bus line runs right to the PA and the Hoboken PATH Station where we are. We believe this area where we are in UC is prime for up and coming. But because of the recession and everything, development and people buying and moving here took a dip and it has regressed a bit. The taxes are less than half of what we would pay in Weehawken and Hoboken for a similar sized 2BR, 2BA condo. So until we have kids, this is a good spot for us

Overall it depends on your situation though Hope this helps from a UC resident

Old 10-28-2011, 01:17 PM

88 posts, read 263,049 times
Wheres the 13% of white people? What about the borderline of UC and Hoboken? How is it that a poor neighborhood has low crime? Maybe the illegals arent reporting it because they're criminals themself?

Old 10-28-2011, 02:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,102,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1986 View Post
Wheres the 13% of white people? What about the borderline of UC and Hoboken? How is it that a poor neighborhood has low crime? Maybe the illegals arent reporting it because they're criminals themself?
They're mixed in with the Hispanics. They aren't really concentrated in one area.

As far as low crime, I guess the people just go about minding their own business.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
I am a single white female and just purchased a condo in Union City in October. I was looking for a place in Weehawken when I came across one of the new buildings on Park Ave. Considering the opposite side of the street is considered Weehawken I really wasn't concerned. I have not had a problem with safety although I am not running around late at night and I have an indoor garage in my building. There are quite a few newer construction buildings in the area and i feel if more people give it a chance the neighborhood could get better. All we need is some good people and people willing to take the chance and open nice businesses. There are a few but more is needed.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 AM

576 posts, read 1,593,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

As far as low crime, I guess the people just go about minding their own business.
Exactly, not what I would call a dangerous neighborhood. Union City and West NY are basically one in the same, majority spanish, kind of lower class but overall not to dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey