Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:49 PM

117 posts, read 256,159 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Summit, mainly because of the schools and commute to midtown. Bergen county is too far north. We heard mixed reviews about the Maplewood schools and crime. Montclair taxes were high and the surrounding areas didn't seem great, driving on rt.3, the congestion, etc.

I was slightly more drawn to Maplewood because of the diversity and heard it's more down-to-earth.

But we decided on Summit. But now I'm worried about how affluent it is. By talking to more people, they say it's competitive, snobby, etc. We are totally not like that.

Do people view Summit as snobby? I have a degree in fine art and worried I might not fit in. Thoughts??? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 PM

376 posts, read 663,388 times
what did they say about maplewood since you said mixed reviews about schools and crime? maplewood is a dead zone as far as crime is concerned and the schooling as far as i know is far from bad.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 PM

People told us the taxes are really high, and middle/high school aren't that great. Plus it borders Irvington. We were told Summit is really safe and the schools are worth the the amount of taxes.

Is Summit really different than Maplewood? They seem like a 10 minute drive from each other.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:12 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,132,533 times
Maplewood changes quite a bit from the Irvington side (especially along Springfield Avenue) to the Millburn side.

Since if you're asking, you haven't decided on a place yet, you should look at both. I know there are a lot of artists living in Maplewood; there's a yearly studio tour of artists South Orange and Maplewood, and a lot of them have studios in their homes.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 AM

133 posts, read 501,608 times
Being that you are in fine art, Maplewood is perfect for you....If you already bought in Summit, I think you will still be fine. It's what you make of it......also...people on this board and in NJ need to stop acting like you cannot get a great education if you are not in the top 20 school district...so sick of that! ...(Start taking responsibilty for your child's future and stop thinking it is up to the school district!) Remember, the wealthier the town you live in, the more you will feel pressured to keep up and spend, spend, spend...and for what? I know people who graduated from Millburn high and are not doing anything at all with their lives...and by the way..the truly rich in Summit send their kids to private. I grew up in South Orange/Maplewood and it was a dream living there!!!

Last edited by Taliana; 10-29-2011 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Thank so much, Taliana. We are in contract for a house in Summit. I wish we checked out Maplewood but a lot of people, plus our realtor said it was nice and then they said all the "buts". I'm hearing summit is more of a wall street transplant. I'm sure there are nice people there but I hope I fit in...

Old 10-29-2011, 05:42 PM

19,055 posts, read 25,178,600 times
You're already weary, and you haven't even moved yet?
Trust me, you will be REALLY weary after the arduous tasks that are involved when you actually do move!

If you are already weary, you may want to pay the moving company to pack your possessions for you. Personally, I would be very wary of having anyone else pack my valuable and fragile items, but if you are already weary, you may not have any other options.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM

124 posts, read 226,994 times
Bella5, you mean leery.
leery
adjective
be leery of these slick salesmen: wary, cautious, careful, guarded, chary, suspicious, distrustful; worried, anxious, apprehensive, hesitant, uncertain.
weary
adjective
1 he was weary after cycling: tired, worn out, exhausted, fatigued, sapped, burnt-out, dog-tired, spent, drained, prostrate, enervated; informal all in, done in, beat, ready to drop, bushed, worn to a frazzle, pooped,

Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 PM

Thank you, spelling peeps. I meant to type "wary".

Yes, it's a huge decision and I'm wondering if we chose the right town. I'm the analytical type, questioning everything. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,990,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella05 View Post
Thank so much, Taliana. We are in contract for a house in Summit. I wish we checked out Maplewood but a lot of people, plus our realtor said it was nice and then they said all the "buts". I'm hearing summit is more of a wall street transplant. I'm sure there are nice people there but I hope I fit in...
Instead of worrying if you fit in, why not leave it to the citizens of Summit to fit in with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey