Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,166,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister got a lot in West Milford. I had some white slushy stuff all over my car this morning, but the rest of the day turned out to be beautiful!
Yeah 19 inches. Stunning for October.

Two months ago we were cleaning up from Irene, now this. What's next? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:23 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,021,055 times
Not exactly a good start considering what last winter was like.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,947,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
I can tell you Livingston is being hit very hard. There are both trees and wires down. Power outages are extensive throughout the town. I stepped outside earlier to shake the heavy wet snow from my shrubs and low hanging tree limbs. While outside I could hear the sound of tree limbs cracking and falling. I could also hear the power transformers exploding. I lost power three times, but it came back on after only a few minutes.

Careone nursing home was totally evacuated earlier this afternoon, because of no power and many people on life support. They were taken to St Barnabas, they have emergency generators.

Not a good day for our town.
Bill
I was in Livingston yesterday and today. I lived there for 25+ years and moved to Morris County last year. In this past year, my power has gone out more than 5 times! (I hate JCPL here...our PSEG in Livingston didn't go out 5 times in 25+ years, nevermind 5 times in ONE year.) Anyway, when the power goes out here, I drive back to Livingston for internet/power access at the library. I thought this time, it would be the same...Livingston was always in good shape.

Not this time! Northfield Ave. between Rt. 10 and Livingston Ave. was a holy MESS. It was like The Texas Chainsaw Tree Massacre. I could not believe it. In 25+ years of living in that town, I've never seen anything like it. Then there were all the traffic lights out. Of course the library was closed because of no power.

So, I try the Livingston Mall to access the wi-fi at Barnes & Noble. It was a MOB SCENE. There were 2 or 3 people gathered around every available outlet...I'm not talking about just the ones in the cafe and seating areas...I'm also talking about every single empty outlet in the store. BUT, get this--Livingston Mall shut down all wireless capabilities...I guess to discourage power outage refugees, haha. But people were still scrambling for outlets if only to recharge their batteries.

I went back again to Livingston today...same deal. So I went back west and tried the B&N in Parsippany--same exact mob scene. There were even 2 people plugged into outlets in the BATHROOM area.

Around Morristown, the pay laundromats also had full parking lots and lines. Trees & wires down everywhere here too.

What a mess. I only just got power back about an hour ago. Ugh.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,166,507 times
Morris County must have been hit hard because some of the schools, including the college, are closed again tomorrow. We certainly had a lot of problems up here in Sussex County, but I don't think it was as bad.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 AM

332 posts, read 527,643 times
I got snow on Saturday but thankfully I didn't lose any electricity. Even when Irene hit, it was only for about 3 seconds.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:36 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,482,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I was in Livingston yesterday and today. I lived there for 25+ years and moved to Morris County last year. In this past year, my power has gone out more than 5 times! (I hate JCPL here...our PSEG in Livingston didn't go out 5 times in 25+ years, nevermind 5 times in ONE year.) Anyway, when the power goes out here, I drive back to Livingston for internet/power access at the library. I thought this time, it would be the same...Livingston was always in good shape.

Not this time! Northfield Ave. between Rt. 10 and Livingston Ave. was a holy MESS. It was like The Texas Chainsaw Tree Massacre. I could not believe it. In 25+ years of living in that town, I've never seen anything like it. Then there were all the traffic lights out. Of course the library was closed because of no power.

So, I try the Livingston Mall to access the wi-fi at Barnes & Noble. It was a MOB SCENE. There were 2 or 3 people gathered around every available outlet...I'm not talking about just the ones in the cafe and seating areas...I'm also talking about every single empty outlet in the store. BUT, get this--Livingston Mall shut down all wireless capabilities...I guess to discourage power outage refugees, haha. But people were still scrambling for outlets if only to recharge their batteries.

I went back again to Livingston today...same deal. So I went back west and tried the B&N in Parsippany--same exact mob scene. There were even 2 people plugged into outlets in the BATHROOM area.

Around Morristown, the pay laundromats also had full parking lots and lines. Trees & wires down everywhere here too.

funny boy have times changed, the old addiction in bathrooms in the70's and early 80's was something completely different!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:56 AM

5,816 posts, read 12,585,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
funny boy have times changed, the old addiction in bathrooms in the70's and early 80's was something completely different!!!
how the world has changed. drugs in the bathrooms in the 70's now iphone and ipads.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,607,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Morris County must have been hit hard because some of the schools, including the college, are closed again tomorrow. We certainly had a lot of problems up here in Sussex County, but I don't think it was as bad.
we've used up 3 of 4 emergency days already (it's actually 4 days, but 1 day was excused absence, not an emergency day). my boys won't be graduating until July at this point! still massive power outages in my town, we were very lucky and only lost power for a few hours.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 AM

112 posts, read 134,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Morris County definitely got the brunt of it. Roxbury has power back in some areas though, at least by the Mall area because Shop Rite and Home Depot have power.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:02 AM

18,419 posts, read 15,147,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post

Even today, it is still a mess in Livingston. I have three families living in my house right now, and nobody can tell them when their power will be back on. Luckily, my street has the power lines underground. I cut up all the giant branches around my yard yesterday. There are still a few branches about 100 feet up that look like they are hanging on by a thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey