Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its the truth , same with the subway.....and the LRT....they can't tell you everything....and the fact that NJT cancelled service at around 3pm means something fell on the lines....and its out of there hands. The OP doesn't sound like hes been here long , Most ppl or most sane ppl stay indoors when they hear a nor'eastern coming... And If they did treat him with disrespect , thats unfortunate , however there humans too and people were probably starting to get stressed out yesterday...
Again, you're twisting NJTransit's lack of ability to function efficiently into an issue with the OP's decision to go out. And that's ridiculous. I'm sure the OP had something productive that needed to get done and he/she didn't just go for a joy ride.

The issue here is that the OP received conflicting information from NJTransit employees. And as a result, he got treated like he was trying to "steal" a ride when he was a paying customer, following an NJTransit employee's directions. There's no way to pin this on the OP. It's NJTransit's problem/fault/issue/whatever.

I, too, have been in a situation where the ticket agent at a booth told me one thing and the conductor gave conflicting information. And it was in regards to a policy.... which ALL employees should be providing consistent communication on. And it was on a normal day... not a nor'easter.

I generally like NJTransit (well, the trains)... but it does have its problems. The staff/personel management is a large part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 04:08 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I've usually had good luck with the train people, and this guy shouldn't have copped an attitude. Your train was CANCELLED. They have to expect that some people are going to be making alternate trips.

And yes, it's the OPs business if he wanted to go out.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
So i'm waiting for the 3:20 Dover train and exactly at 3:20 on the screen/announcement i'm told that the 3:20 and All Dover trains are canceled for the whole day. I ask the worker at the booth what i should do he says just hop on the 3:23 to Newark Penn and take a bus home. Before I got on train, I explain to the ticket collectors and i'm given the ok. One of the guy comes to me once I hop on and the train is deporting that I should have a ticket for this train and I explain to him that the ticket I paid for was canceled so I'm just getting off on the next stop to transfer (as was explained to me from a NJ Transit worker). This guy starts to have an attitude with me.

I already wasted 6 bucks on a Dover ticket. Was I suppose to buy another ticket again? It's NJ Transit fault that all trains coming from New York Penn Station were canceled. Huge inconvenience. And now I gotta deal with a loud mouth ticket handler who tries to act like police.

But anyway, i'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.
It sounds like you were in the right.

NJT works on a Zone system. From what others have told me here (NJT Zone Fare Question - NYC Transit Forums) the tickets are valid on other lines as long as they are for the same zone. Dover is Zone 17, so that ticket should be valid all the way out to Middletown, NJ. Obviously, Newark is closer than Middletown, so the conductor should've accepted your ticket, no questions asked.

And since your Dover train was cancelled, there shouldn't have been any argument from the conductor.

But he did let you on, right?

Also, why did they wait until exactly 3:20 to tell you the train was cancelled. They should've informed the passengers as soon as the information was available. Maybe in the extra few minutes, they could've ran up to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and caught a bus home, instead of taking a more inconvenient route.

Quote:
They have a twitter and most ppl fellow them....what idiot goes on the day of a major storm? I don't feel bad for you one bit....
First of all, it wasn't a major snowstorm. It's the end of October, so nobody was expecting anything that bad (and for the most part, it wasn't bad)

Second of all, the OP probably didn't want to go out, but he/she needed to go to Manhattan for whatever reason. We've known about the storm for like 2 days, and it's not easy to change plans on a dime.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It sounds like you were in the right.

NJT works on a Zone system. From what others have told me here (NJT Zone Fare Question - NYC Transit Forums) the tickets are valid on other lines as long as they are for the same zone. Dover is Zone 17, so that ticket should be valid all the way out to Middletown, NJ. Obviously, Newark is closer than Middletown, so the conductor should've accepted your ticket, no questions asked.

And since your Dover train was cancelled, there shouldn't have been any argument from the conductor.

But he did let you on, right?

Also, why did they wait until exactly 3:20 to tell you the train was cancelled. They should've informed the passengers as soon as the information was available. Maybe in the extra few minutes, they could've ran up to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and caught a bus home, instead of taking a more inconvenient route.

First of all, it wasn't a major snowstorm. It's the end of October, so nobody was expecting anything that bad (and for the most part, it wasn't bad)

Second of all, the OP probably didn't want to go out, but he/she needed to go to Manhattan for whatever reason. We've known about the storm for like 2 days, and it's not easy to change plans on a dime.
It was a Major storm outside NYC , it dumped 6-20inches in some spots....ALL Nor'Easters are Major storms.... When you hear of a storm that size you usually cancel your plans...

Old 11-01-2011, 05:12 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,502 times
They should have been cross honoring because of the storm. NJT is the worse to their customers, but everyone needs them and they know it, so they get away with it. Hopefully something better comes along soon, i've had it with NJT.
Also I would file a complaint against the conductor with the attitude, it won't do much, but if enough of us do it maybe in the future we'll see change. These useless conductors have jobs that are on the verge of becoming obsolete and they have the nerve to have attitudes.
Can't wait to see that corporation go down in a firey end.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:14 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
It was a Major storm outside NYC , it dumped 6-20inches in some spots....ALL Nor'Easters are Major storms.... When you hear of a storm that size you usually cancel your plans...
You are digressing. The topic being discussed here is if it was NJ Transit's fault. Why the OP had to go out during a storm should not be our concern. The world does not stop on the news of an approaching snow storm.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
You are digressing. The topic being discussed here is if it was NJ Transit's fault. Why the OP had to go out during a storm should not be our concern. The world does not stop on the news of an approaching snow storm.
Apparently it does if you work for NJTransit.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 PM

159 posts, read 478,843 times
It's almost always safe to say that it's NJT's fault. It's rare that a passenger is the cause of trouble, misinformation, or so on. Being back in Jersey after several years away makes it even clearer how exceedingly and--most upsetting, NEVER ENDINGLY--corrupt, inept, inefficient, and wasteful all state-run organizations, agencies, and transportation outlets are.

Yet, most Jersey natives are so savvy, so street smart, so downright decent and even admirable. How in the hell did we let this happen?

And, mind you, I have lived in 5 other states (NY, PA, TX, NV, AZ), so I have a frame of reference. Not just, er, trash talking out of my butt. Our state government is filthily corrupt. What a shame.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM

159 posts, read 478,843 times
Quote:
The OP's question was is it his fault or NJT's. Why'd you give him such a specious, scolding reply? Next time, consider either addressing questions directly or doing this:

Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Nexis - we know you are a train guy and all, but you sound ridiculous. You are completely ignoring the actual question being asked and instead focus on something completely irrelevant. Train person A told told someone what to do. That person does that. Train person B then has an issue with what the person is doing.

Either train person A or train person B is wrong. This could happen any day of the week. Storm or no storm. Some train person is in the wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: