Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 02:26 PM

13 posts, read 34,914 times

Advertisements

I'd like to buy a condo in Hudson county. Right now it's vacant but unit was formerly rent controlled and landlord never lived there. How does vacancy decontrol work with a new owner? What else do I look out for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,744 times
What is the current law concerning rent control and or rent stabilization in Bayonne NJ?

Old 08-14-2019, 05:56 AM

650 posts, read 762,964 times
Never decontrols in many towns. You could owner occupy to free it.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 AM

252 posts, read 451,531 times
I'm aware the original post is from years ago. In New Jersey, rent control is determined and enforced by municipalities, not counties. The Hudson County municipalities with rent control tend not to enforce it. Most tenants living in rent controlled units are unaware they live in rent controlled units.

Last edited by pretorius; 08-14-2019 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 10:39 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,199,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
I'm aware the original post is from years ago. In New Jersey, rent control is determined and enforced by municipalities, not counties. The Hudson County municipalities with rent control tend not to enforce it. Most tenants living in rent controlled units are unaware they live in rent controlled units.
Yes, and it also depends on what someone thinks "rent control" is.

In most cases, in NJ, it means that a LL can't raise the rent more than a certain percentage every year.

There are two types of "decontrol" allowed in the NJ city my rentals are in:

1. Vacancy Adjustment Request:

Unit qualifies every 24 months (2 years) on a vacant unit.

No improvements to unit are required to be documented.

Increase is calculated from the annual CPI + 4% adjustment factor

2. Market Decontrol Request

Qualifies if the vacating unit has NOT been granted a Market Decontrol in the past 5 YEARS

Owner has made investments into the unit or to the common space (pro-rated over multiple
units) of at least 15% of the vacating tenants annual rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: