Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 17,924 times

Advertisements

My family used to own a factory in Elizabeth. There were constantly police around asking if anyone had witnessed this shooting, that car jacking, that robbery. Honestly, don't move there. Elizabeth is one of the few places in NJ that I would refuse to recommend to anyone for anything, its definitely a roll up, lock your windows kind of place. Only Elizabeth makes you want to take it farther, like bulletproofing your car. Its just not a safe area, at all. I would recommend Newark over Elizabeth, which considering some parts of Newark is saying a lot. Have you looked into Woodbridge, or New Brunswick? New Brunswick is by Rutgers, so apartments are usually cheaper as geared towards college kids. Its pretty safe, and Rutgers employs its own police, as well as the town police. There are a lot of towns that you could get a reasonable apartment in that won't be as unsafe as Elizabeth. The idea of ever living in Elizabeth gives me the creeps, not to be rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:12 AM

562 posts, read 2,614,738 times
you have to be kidding me.. Newark over Elizabeth.. LMAO.. you must be on something..

not sure what experiences you had in Elizabeth.. but on summer days most people drive with windows down.. and in neighborhoods like Elmora, Elmora hills, north elizabeth, westminister, bayway, ... people actually know their neighbors and live very safe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by millievanilli View Post
My family used to own a factory in Elizabeth. There were constantly police around asking if anyone had witnessed this shooting, that car jacking, that robbery. Honestly, don't move there. Elizabeth is one of the few places in NJ that I would refuse to recommend to anyone for anything, its definitely a roll up, lock your windows kind of place. Only Elizabeth makes you want to take it farther, like bulletproofing your car. Its just not a safe area, at all. I would recommend Newark over Elizabeth, which considering some parts of Newark is saying a lot. Have you looked into Woodbridge, or New Brunswick? New Brunswick is by Rutgers, so apartments are usually cheaper as geared towards college kids. Its pretty safe, and Rutgers employs its own police, as well as the town police. There are a lot of towns that you could get a reasonable apartment in that won't be as unsafe as Elizabeth. The idea of ever living in Elizabeth gives me the creeps, not to be rude.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 17,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
you have to be kidding me.. Newark over Elizabeth.. LMAO.. you must be on something..

not sure what experiences you had in Elizabeth.. but on summer days most people drive with windows down.. and in neighborhoods like Elmora, Elmora hills, north elizabeth, westminister, bayway, ... people actually know their neighbors and live very safe..
Newark is actually pretty safe in some areas, like the ironbound area, very close knit, very active police force, and very safe. Would Newark be my first choice to live in? Absolutely not. But is it safer then Elizabeth? Yes, a ridiculous amount safer. Obviously all towns have safer areas, and more dangerous areas, but Elizabeth seems to have much much more of the second.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:11 PM

131 posts, read 604,915 times
HAHAHA thats the funniest thing i read on this message board Newark over Elizabeth. Even worst section of Elizabeth is far much better then worst section of Newark. Been doing deliveries before to all the cities in Union and Essex counties in all areas and Elizabeth is not that bad as some may say.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 11,106 times
Default you can't compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
i was raised in Elizabeth as well... and never had an issue.. of course many people don;t know how it is to live in a CITY atmorsphere.. I lived in Manhattan (upper eastside) and I feel as safe in Elizabeth than I did there..

I lived in Manhattan Upper East side too. There is NO comparison with Elizabeth.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,456 times
Default ferry

Hows the ferry coming along? Anyone drive by and take a look recently???

Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 AM

70 posts, read 336,793 times
Is the ferry even still on?

Old 12-16-2007, 06:58 AM

387 posts, read 1,429,456 times
Anybody know if the ferry is still on in Elizabeth? Im moving there either way but would be cool to see it go up.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:16 PM

88 posts, read 333,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiserver0708 View Post
I used to live in Orange County CA when I moved from India to the States, then Queens NY, then Woodbrige NJ which is just south of Elizabeth. I commute to JC (jersey city) and JC is nice, but elisabeth and newark are the two horrible in North NJ. I took a wrong exit one and landed up in Elizabeth/Newark and first thing i saw was a police Blockade at the exit due to a man with firearms who had escaped in a vehicle. After i got past the exit of ramp, while trying to find the unconvinently located on ramp, I came across a car jacker who almost opened the door before i sped off(differnt man). I would recomend either Woodbridge even though it is expensive, or maybe east orange or union city.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh please! Living in Jersey City and Elizabeth is like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. JC is just as bad as Elizabeth> JC is not nice. Murder, car jacking, robbery, drugs, and gangs. You can't get away from it. You have to do the best that you can. There is no place to run and hide.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:24 PM

88 posts, read 333,998 times
Default Ferry? Who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
Anybody know if the ferry is still on in Elizabeth? Im moving there either way but would be cool to see it go up.
If you insist on moving to Elizabeth, do not move in the port. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd st, water front, and any side street Peter's town is bad too. Irvington Ave, Salem Ave, Morris Ave, and the surround areas ar also, Elmora has gone down too, but you have better chance of survival.
As far as the ferry, who knows! Elizabeth is a town that I will try to forget after I move, but I can't because of 2 family members here. I wish they would move too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey