Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:08 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezgordo View Post
I live in Elizabeth and I'm a pizza delivery guy. I would recommend you to avoid living in Elizabeth, due to my job i've seen everything but unfortunally I can't move anywhere else or change job due to my college schedules and finance. anyway, if you have to live in Elizabeth I would recommend the Elmora area or north area, AVOID to live south from Broad St. anyway if you need more info or have questions my email is pez_gordo@hotmail.com
That's what I said. Elmora is not bad. Do you work at Tommy's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 10:06 PM

562 posts, read 2,614,738 times
.. obviously many of you do not live in Elizabeth.. like every other city around NYC it has its good and bad parts... ELizabeth's Elmora, North and ELmora Hills section are pretty nice/safe and convenient since they are close to shopping, transportation, schools, etc.. most people who visit the area are not use to living in city like places.. I lived in Manhattan in the upper eastside and believe me it's not that different when comparing crime.. oh and Elizabeth do not have subway rats like NYC.. ELizabeth is not the best town in NJ obviously but there is alot of development going on..

Elizabeth hosts the largest mall in the country.. Elizabeth has 2 train stations (20 Mins to Penn station, I used to commute daily b4 moving to NYC).. Elizabeth is minutes away from Newark "International" Airport (I travel often and i pay about 5.-10. dollars for cab to airport).. Kean University is on the borderline of Elizabeth and Union (I attended Kean).. Jersey Gardens is in Elizabeth which gives you great selection of clothing, and other shopping.. Elizabeth is currently building 5 more schools.. and board of ed are enforcing uniforms, and they also have special programs for students..

now in reference to the industrial part of Elizabeth.. it is true Elizabeth houses the old SINGER Sewing machine company down by the seaport.. do you know that Donald Trump is negotiating to buy that land to construct high rises..

Do you know that Elizabeth has 9.5 Million dollar funding to start the new ferry service to NYC which will commence at the beginning of 2007..

do you know that Elizabeth is constructing a light rail to connect broad st train station thru the city to new ferry terminal and it will also connect to newark intl airport..

do yo know that there is currently 5 blocks knocked down on Front St (Seaport section) and new 2 families homes are currently being build and sold at a range between 500k - 650k

do you know about the new townhouses on the actual waterfront are already selling like pancakes at a price range of 450k-600k..

Do you know that Elizabeth City is one of the fastest developing cities in the United states and its mayor is very well known for his achievements..

anyways .. you can do further research by going to the city's website: http://www.elizabethnj.org/

oh not to mention many old NYC residents who rented apt once are BUYING new homes in Elizabeth b/c of the proximity to NYC.. yeaup.. i'm guilty of that

good luck and hopefully you'll make the right decision..

Old 11-01-2006, 04:24 AM

60 posts, read 455,134 times
All I know about Elizabeth is what I smell. And that's enough. It would scare me too much to live someplace like that because I'd be worried about what I was breathing.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
.. obviously many of you do not live in Elizabeth.. like every other city around NYC it has its good and bad parts... ELizabeth's Elmora, North and ELmora Hills section are pretty nice/safe and convenient since they are close to shopping, transportation, schools, etc.. most people who visit the area are not use to living in city like places.. I lived in Manhattan in the upper eastside and believe me it's not that different when comparing crime.. oh and Elizabeth do not have subway rats like NYC.. ELizabeth is not the best town in NJ obviously but there is alot of development going on..

Elizabeth hosts the largest mall in the country.. Elizabeth has 2 train stations (20 Mins to Penn station, I used to commute daily b4 moving to NYC).. Elizabeth is minutes away from Newark "International" Airport (I travel often and i pay about 5.-10. dollars for cab to airport).. Kean University is on the borderline of Elizabeth and Union (I attended Kean).. Jersey Gardens is in Elizabeth which gives you great selection of clothing, and other shopping.. Elizabeth is currently building 5 more schools.. and board of ed are enforcing uniforms, and they also have special programs for students..

now in reference to the industrial part of Elizabeth.. it is true Elizabeth houses the old SINGER Sewing machine company down by the seaport.. do you know that Donald Trump is negotiating to buy that land to construct high rises..

Do you know that Elizabeth has 9.5 Million dollar funding to start the new ferry service to NYC which will commence at the beginning of 2007..

do you know that Elizabeth is constructing a light rail to connect broad st train station thru the city to new ferry terminal and it will also connect to newark intl airport..

do yo know that there is currently 5 blocks knocked down on Front St (Seaport section) and new 2 families homes are currently being build and sold at a range between 500k - 650k

do you know about the new townhouses on the actual waterfront are already selling like pancakes at a price range of 450k-600k..

Do you know that Elizabeth City is one of the fastest developing cities in the United states and its mayor is very well known for his achievements..

anyways .. you can do further research by going to the city's website: http://www.elizabethnj.org/

oh not to mention many old NYC residents who rented apt once are BUYING new homes in Elizabeth b/c of the proximity to NYC.. yeaup.. i'm guilty of that

good luck and hopefully you'll make the right decision..
The King Of Prussia Mall is the largest in the U.S. The Jersey Gardens is New Jerseys' largest "OUTLET" mall. just thought I'd point that out. You also forgot to mention that Elizabeth has some excellent Portugese restaurants, my favorite happens to be "AlGarve". It's on Van Buren 1 block west of 1&9. Try the stuffed squid!

Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 PM

13 posts, read 100,271 times
I would NEVER live in Elizabeth. I grew up in Roselle, which is next town over. And I dont mean I grew up there 20 years ago. My family just sold their house there two years ago and I currently live in Linden, which is just the following town over.
Anything bad that has ever happened to me happened in Elizabeth. I wouldnt leave my car there, I try not to go there ever, unless I absolutely have to, and even then, it's only after I've tried everywhere else. Dont consider "Dirty Gardens" to be an actually outlet, as their stores are not that great and their prices arent that cheap. Also, it's close to the Port, which is a place you really dont wanna be. I would definately not trust leaving a BMW around the streets.
My serious recommendation would be to look elsewhere, but if you are choosing Sleezabeth, I would only suggest Elmora (getting crappier by the day) or Elmora Hills, which is still decent but of course, the most expensive as well.
Good luck!

Old 11-03-2006, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 42,723 times
Default dont bother moving (Detroit is probably better)

I used to live in Orange County CA when I moved from India to the States, then Queens NY, then Woodbrige NJ which is just south of Elizabeth. I commute to JC (jersey city) and JC is nice, but elisabeth and newark are the two horrible in North NJ. I took a wrong exit one and landed up in Elizabeth/Newark and first thing i saw was a police Blockade at the exit due to a man with firearms who had escaped in a vehicle. After i got past the exit of ramp, while trying to find the unconvinently located on ramp, I came across a car jacker who almost opened the door before i sped off(differnt man). I would recomend either Woodbridge even though it is expensive, or maybe east orange or union city.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 14,919 times
Default Its Not That Bad ...

Ive Been Living Here For My Whole Life I Havent Got Shot Yet I Havent Been Jumped You Jus Have To Mind Your Own Business And Get To Know People For Some Protection ... I Live Near Cherry Street Which Has Been Bad But Just Dont Start Trouble And Youll Be Ok .... Also Theres A Place Called Elmora Hills Where There Is Never Trouble And Where The Upper Class Lives ... So As Long As You Choose The Right Areas Youll Be Ok ....:d

Old 11-09-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiserver0708 View Post
I used to live in Orange County CA when I moved from India to the States, then Queens NY, then Woodbrige NJ which is just south of Elizabeth. I commute to JC (jersey city) and JC is nice, but elisabeth and newark are the two horrible in North NJ. I took a wrong exit one and landed up in Elizabeth/Newark and first thing i saw was a police Blockade at the exit due to a man with firearms who had escaped in a vehicle. After i got past the exit of ramp, while trying to find the unconvinently located on ramp, I came across a car jacker who almost opened the door before i sped off(differnt man). I would recomend either Woodbridge even though it is expensive, or maybe east orange or union city.
Are you out of your mind comparing Elizabeth with East Orange. If you can't give people good and accurate advise, don't give them any at all. The personal crime risk in Elizabeth is 205 (that's based on the national average of 100). Now here's a shocker for you East Oranges personal crime risk is 650. Your just another case of someone that is misinformed giving out misinformation. Maybe you should do a little homework before you post next time.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:34 AM

16 posts, read 78,857 times
Cut the guy some slack, he was probably just mixing up East Orange with one of the other Oranges. South Orange and West Orange are really nice places to live (with the exception for one section of West Orange).

To the original poster...Honestly..... stay away from Elizabeth! Its such a bad city. Its actually the only place where I've ever seen prostitutes walking around in broad day light.

If you are willing to drive for 45 minutes or even 20 minutes there are a lot of good options in the area for really cheap housing in much better neighborhods where you don't have to worry about being murdered or having your car jacked.

Take a look at the Portugese section in Newark (Ironbound, centered around Ferry Street). There are a lot of really cheap apartments available in this neighborhood that the liberal hipsters from NYC haven't found out about yet. (When liberal hipsters from NYC find out about neighborhoods it always results in massive gentrification and subsequently MUCH higher rents, see Hoboken and parts of Jersey City for good examples of this). This is an old ethnic enclave that never went to hell like most of the rest of urban North Jersey post-1960s (its now populated by mostly Portugese and Brazilians, but before that it was Italians, and before that Irish, and before that Germans etc). The only problem with Ironbound is the parking situation, but you might be able to figure something out with a parking lot or a garage spot.

Another pretty decent choice is Harrison which is right across the Passaic from Ironbound. This is also another older White ethnic neighborhood where you will feel safe to walk the streets at any hour of the day. You can also check out the towns north of Harrison such as East Newark and Kearny. These towns have a lot of old ethnic white populations such as Irish/Italians/Polish/ (and weirdly enough Scottish in Kearny I think). In addition there have been a lot of Portugese/Brazilians and Hispanics moving into the neighborhood. You have to keep in mind that these places may look a little bit rough around the edges but they are perfectly safe with really good police forces (especially compared to other parts of Essex county).

You might also want to consider looking more at Bayonne. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods there. Jersey City is another obvious option, but clearly scope out the neighborhood before you agree to an apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Are you out of your mind comparing Elizabeth with East Orange. If you can't give people good and accurate advise, don't give them any at all. The personal crime risk in Elizabeth is 205 (that's based on the national average of 100). Now here's a shocker for you East Oranges personal crime risk is 650. Your just another case of someone that is misinformed giving out misinformation. Maybe you should do a little homework before you post next time.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBDinNJ View Post
Cut the guy some slack, he was probably just mixing up East Orange with one of the other Oranges. South Orange and West Orange are really nice places to live (with the exception for one section of West Orange).

To the original poster...Honestly..... stay away from Elizabeth! Its such a bad city. Its actually the only place where I've ever seen prostitutes walking around in broad day light.

If you are willing to drive for 45 minutes or even 20 minutes there are a lot of good options in the area for really cheap housing in much better neighborhods where you don't have to worry about being murdered or having your car jacked.

Take a look at the Portugese section in Newark (Ironbound, centered around Ferry Street). There are a lot of really cheap apartments available in this neighborhood that the liberal hipsters from NYC haven't found out about yet. (When liberal hipsters from NYC find out about neighborhoods it always results in massive gentrification and subsequently MUCH higher rents, see Hoboken and parts of Jersey City for good examples of this). This is an old ethnic enclave that never went to hell like most of the rest of urban North Jersey post-1960s (its now populated by mostly Portugese and Brazilians, but before that it was Italians, and before that Irish, and before that Germans etc). The only problem with Ironbound is the parking situation, but you might be able to figure something out with a parking lot or a garage spot.

Another pretty decent choice is Harrison which is right across the Passaic from Ironbound. This is also another older White ethnic neighborhood where you will feel safe to walk the streets at any hour of the day. You can also check out the towns north of Harrison such as East Newark and Kearny. These towns have a lot of old ethnic white populations such as Irish/Italians/Polish/ (and weirdly enough Scottish in Kearny I think). In addition there have been a lot of Portugese/Brazilians and Hispanics moving into the neighborhood. You have to keep in mind that these places may look a little bit rough around the edges but they are perfectly safe with really good police forces (especially compared to other parts of Essex county).

You might also want to consider looking more at Bayonne. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods there. Jersey City is another obvious option, but clearly scope out the neighborhood before you agree to an apartment.
Did you read his post or are you just shootin from the hip? Please. Here is a guy who claims to get off at the wrong exit on the turnpike only to run into a police blockade with cops looking for an armed gunmen. He makes it through that harrowing experience only to find himself fleeing for his life from some attempted carjacker. Like I've stated before in this forum, I've been in law enforcement for nearly 30 years. Much of my time is spent in Union and Essex Countys. I am well aware of what goes on up there. By the way if anyone wants to see prostitutes standing on street corners in towns other than Elizabeth I can point them in the right direction. I don't know how long you've been following this forum but I'll say this. Read a lot of past topics in the Jersey thread. Pay close attention on the sub topics that have to do with crime or eventually lead to crime. You seem like and articulate person and hopefully an intelligent one as well. I think it's so obvious and clear that even Stevie Wonder could see what some posters are all about. I've already been in trouble in this forum so I need to temper my thoughts at times (I enjoy the posts here and don't wan't to be bannned). In the end I think you will understand what I'm talking about. If you want me to eloborate feel free to send me a p.m. By the way the only bad thing about Iron Bound is that Ted and Als' don't sell liverwurst anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey