Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:46 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,460,465 times

Advertisements

I know this was a zombie thread, but since it’s been brought back to life...

Since I bought my townhouse, I’ve been a little shocked at how expensive my water bill is. It was $141 last month. This is for a new construction townhome (about 1800 sq. ft plus another 700 sq. ft. finished basement) with new energy-efficient appliances. I am definitely not a water waster, so I’m trying to figure out if this bill sounds excessive or is typical. The water company is Suez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 08:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I know this was a zombie thread, but since it’s been brought back to life...

Since I bought my townhouse, I’ve been a little shocked at how expensive my water bill is. It was $141 last month. This is for a new construction townhome (about 1800 sq. ft plus another 700 sq. ft. finished basement) with new energy-efficient appliances. I am definitely not a water waster, so I’m trying to figure out if this bill sounds excessive or is typical. The water company is Suez.
that sounds very high. what is your water usage like? anything besides showers, dishwasher, some drinking water, etc.?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that sounds very high. what is your water usage like? anything besides showers, dishwasher, some drinking water, etc.?
No, which is why I’m puzzled. Dishwasher gets used maybe twice a week, ditto for the washer/dryer. Toilets are all 1.6 gal. per flush units. I thought at first that maybe the complex sprinkler system was contributing to the charges, but the bill has been higher than ever in the winter.

I may need to call them to see if I can figure this out.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:56 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think you get that the 2k is not the meter reading, but that the bill is two thousand dollars. That's how I'm reading it, anyway. Maybe the poster can clarify.
Oh then, that is totally insane. My bill from American Water literally says that I used 2K units a month, which is why I jumped to that conclusion because a $2,000 water bill I can't even imagine how that would work. Of course that's not right, it should be closer to $25 for a home that size.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
No, which is why I’m puzzled. Dishwasher gets used maybe twice a week, ditto for the washer/dryer. Toilets are all 1.6 gal. per flush units. I thought at first that maybe the complex sprinkler system was contributing to the charges, but the bill has been higher than ever in the winter.

I may need to call them to see if I can figure this out.
well, my usage last month was 4,600 gallons and it cost me 56.96. because i have a 1 inch meter, i have a base fee of $35. i am a family of 4, we use dishwasher daily and do a decent amount of laundry. my friends that complain about water bills are generally due to sprinkler systems, but not in the winter.

what is your usage for the last month? if it is a lot more, than maybe you have a leak somewhere.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, my usage last month was 4,600 gallons and it cost me 56.96. because i have a 1 inch meter, i have a base fee of $35. i am a family of 4, we use dishwasher daily and do a decent amount of laundry. my friends that complain about water bills are generally due to sprinkler systems, but not in the winter.

what is your usage for the last month? if it is a lot more, than maybe you have a leak somewhere.
Mine was 3,200 gallons for a 35 day cycle. There is a $53 sewer charge on the bill. Not sure if that’s excessive.

Thanks for the info, Cap’n. I’m going to see what I can do to lower my bill.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:33 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Now that I'm reading these, mine seems kind of high. It's around $40. I live alone and don't have a dishwasher. I notice it goes up when my daughter visits, but that's because she usually arrives with a big basket of dirty laundry.

I never actually read the bill to see what the usage is. Think I should do that.

ETA: The actual water bill is around $30. I have a sewer line protection insurance through them because the unit owners are responsible if the sewer line from the unit to the street breaks. This place is over thirty years old.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Mine was 3,200 gallons for a 35 day cycle. There is a $53 sewer charge on the bill. Not sure if that’s excessive.

Thanks for the info, Cap’n. I’m going to see what I can do to lower my bill.
is that every month? i pay a sewer fee to the town quarterly. strangely it appears to have gone down from $100/quarter to $75/quarter since i have moved.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Now that I'm reading these, mine seems kind of high. It's around $40. I live alone and don't have a dishwasher.

A full dishwasher actually uses less water than it takes to hand-wash the same quantity of dishes and utensils by hand!

Old 01-24-2018, 12:19 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,357 times
I have a single family house,
Usually my bill from NJ American water is in low $20's

Suggest you find your meter, and take readings over short intervals (daily weekly) and figure out the gallons used.

Read the bill, are you being charged any special charges and not just for water usage. maybe sewage bill?

What is your water rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey