Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 PM

63 posts, read 143,323 times

Advertisements

What sections should you stay away from in North Plainfield? What are the ones that hold their value? You seem to get more for you money in the town. I would do all my shopping at blue star and scotch plains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM

13 posts, read 47,208 times
North Plainfield is not great- the town isn't bad looking but the schools are not very good and the town is going downhill. I would say the best part of town would be the section on the north side of Route 22, next to Green Brook and Watchung. If you can spend a little more I'd try looking in Green Brook (which goes to Watchung Hills High School), South Plainfield, or Bridgewater (which has some reasonable sections).

Old 11-17-2011, 04:41 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hob630 View Post
North Plainfield is not great- the town isn't bad looking but the schools are not very good and the town is going downhill. I would say the best part of town would be the section on the north side of Route 22, next to Green Brook and Watchung. If you can spend a little more I'd try looking in Green Brook (which goes to Watchung Hills High School), South Plainfield, or Bridgewater (which has some reasonable sections).
YES! If you have kids and are concerned about the schools (as you should be) look at Green Brook instead or Bridgewater. Even if you don't have kids realize resale value will be an issue when its time to sell. As they say you get what you pay for.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 12,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyr908 View Post
What sections should you stay away from in North Plainfield? What are the ones that hold their value? You seem to get more for you money in the town. I would do all my shopping at blue star and scotch plains.
I would say that you do get a lot of value for your money especially in this down real estate market, that is why I and others have purchased here. The best areas to live are the east end of town above North Drive/Norwood, especially the Meadowbrook section. The location is good because you are so close to all the shopping areas as well and within walking distance to local and NYC public transit. I have purchased here within the last 18 months and have met quite a few nice new neighbors a mix of younger professional couples to some recently retired people. Thats the good...

Now, If you decided to buy here. I would absolutely stay away from the central part of town. You have to be aware that schools are a concern to remember (I would) , as I attended NPHS but it is not the same school I attended in the mid to late 80's. I would say if you have kids, I have heard that the elementary schools are still good but as for high school I would consider a private school.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 AM

44 posts, read 72,775 times
compared to what is the question? Compared to Camden it is great but compared to Paramus not so much. Reality is it isn't nice, nor safe, nor good schools.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 73,033 times
OMG, i'm so lucky I found this thread.

How is the part of Plainfield that borders Scotch Plains? The part of Plainview south of Leland, East of Woodland, north of Rahway. I can't tell you how much it would mean for me to get a reply from someone!

Sorry, for jacking your thread, OP.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
YES! If you have kids and are concerned about the schools (as you should be) look at Green Brook instead or Bridgewater. Even if you don't have kids realize resale value will be an issue when its time to sell. As they say you get what you pay for.
We lived in GB for 10 years and then Bridgewater for 22 years just for the better schools.

Not many people relocate to GB from Bridgewater.

The big differencew in High Schools is that the kids from Bridgewater drive used cars to school and the GB kids going to Watchung Hills drive new cars.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:20 PM

31 posts, read 84,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecollarbred View Post
OMG, i'm so lucky I found this thread.

How is the part of Plainfield that borders Scotch Plains? The part of Plainview south of Leland, East of Woodland, north of Rahway. I can't tell you how much it would mean for me to get a reply from someone!

Sorry, for jacking your thread, OP.
It's really a question of whether you have kids or not. If private school is on your radar, then it's perfectly fine. Nice housing stock, it's safe (despite what the naysayers might come out of the woodwork to say, despite never living there only having passed through or reading what they saw in the Courier News or something) and the city does a good job of taking care of that part of the area specifically because it realizes if it loses that section of town, it's going to be doomed in an already difficult tax base.

There are probably better places in terms of amenities more centrally located and cache, but in terms of bang for your buck, Plainfield has offered more than any of the surrounding towns for years. It has problems to be sure and I'm the first to be frustrated by it (it's my hometown) and it's leadership, but...lots of quality there.

Here's one of the many Plainfield blogs.

PLAINFIELD TODAY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey