Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 AM

34 posts, read 126,540 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are close to narrowing down our selection on where to buy a house.
My wife and I both work in Mercer County. Our budget is about 300k.
We are looking for a diverse town with good schools.

I was looking for some insight on the towns of South Brunswick, Burlington Twp. and Bordentown.

I realize most of the homes in South Brunswick in our price range are old and need some updating but the schools are strong.

I noticed Burlington Twp. has a good lot of homes in our price range that are modern but I can never find consistent information about the schools.

I hear Bordentown has some homes in our price range that are relatively modern however there doesn't seem like there's too much to do around there. A friend of mine is considering Bordentown but hesitated when he couldn't find much shopping in the area. The grade schools are strong but it appears the reputation tends to fall when you discuss the high school.

Looking for advice on these three towns.
Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 09:23 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
South Brunswick has strong schools and is a strong community. I'm biased, but I liked my time living in So Brunswick a lot.

Plus, I feel that South Brunswick is more centrally located. Depending on where you are, you're easy-on easy-off the Turnpike, Rt. 1, and Route 130. There's nearby shopping right in-town, but there is that massive Hamilton shopping mall near Bordentown/Burlington.

To me, personally, better schools, more to do, better location. If you can afford it, definitely do South Brunswick.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 AM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
No contest, South Brunswick hands down

Bordentown is distant second, nice downtown though

Forget Burlington

Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 AM

Great feedback guys! Thanks

Old 11-17-2011, 05:10 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
bordentown has the worst cops. you'll get 2 squad cars on you for throwing a gum wrapper on the ground

agree w/s. brunswick

Old 11-17-2011, 05:22 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
There's nothing wrong with Burlington. It's a big township. It's diverse and safe. I would prefer Bordentown or Burlington over South Brunswick. Don't expect to have happy commutes using route 1 neither.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 PM

You had mentioned good schools were a priority in choosing a town. Here are some facts for you.

According to NJ Monthly Magazine, which ranks all the high schools in NJ every two years out of 322 schools here's how these towns ranked;

Burlington Twp HS - 153
Burlington City - 268
Bordentown - 218
South Brunswick - 89

Another resource for school rankings is Greatschools.net. They rate HS on a 1-10 ranking, with 10 being the best. Here is how they rated the same towns.

Burlington Twp HS - 5
Burlington City - 3
Bordentown - 5
South Brunswick - 8

Numbers don't lie, next look into the crime stats for these towns.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
There's nothing wrong with Burlington. It's a big township. It's diverse and safe. I would prefer Bordentown or Burlington over South Brunswick. Don't expect to have happy commutes using route 1 neither.
South Brunswick to Mercer county is actually reverse commuting. Everyone goes North in the morning, and South at night.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 AM

Just curious, but why does Burlington Twp get such a bad rap? Bordentown has nice homes but my gut tells me that it is not the place for me...something seems missing from it. South Brunswick is pricey but it seems like a good place to settle down. The problem is trying to find a house to fit our needs. It looks like it has everything else.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbrctr View Post
Just curious, but why does Burlington Twp get such a bad rap? Bordentown has nice homes but my gut tells me that it is not the place for me...something seems missing from it. South Brunswick is pricey but it seems like a good place to settle down. The problem is trying to find a house to fit our needs. It looks like it has everything else.
You have to drive anound the area for awhile to get a feel for yourself. Get out walk around public areas, go shop inside some of the stores, go to the parks, eat at the restaurants. Then go see the same things at night. After this you will have your answers and know much better what is a fit for you and what is not.

I also like Hopewell and Pennington in West Mercer County, or Bucks County over the river on the PA side. You cant go wrong with South Brunswick as I mentioned before. Look at the Kendall Park area some nice ranch homes in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: