Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:12 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

edit: and no I am not a realtor. Just another guy with a family with a good job who can almost afford in Northern NJ... but not quite. Maybe the 2nd job will help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,864 times
You can find some good homes for under $300K in Sussex and Warren counties. The commute is longer but the area is nice.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
Unfortunately, we are already in a single family home in a great neighborhood. No way are we stepping back to a condo/townhome or moving to a seedy area. I know my problem is next to impossible...

So I guess the answer is NOTHING in north jersey that is quality at that price.
In Northern NJ you would really have a hard time and if you found anything it would require a lot of work. If you price range could go higher then you might have a shot but in that price range, Norther NJ just does not have much.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM

10 posts, read 33,021 times
try sayreville parlin section, very nice good schools

Old 08-28-2007, 03:28 PM

70 posts, read 125,724 times
I am absolutely flabberghasted at the medium price of homes in this part of the country. In Dallas, you can get far more house for your dollars. I just don't see how you folks make it up there. I can see why we have so many northern transplants down here.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:41 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobezee1 View Post
I am absolutely flabberghasted at the medium price of homes in this part of the country. In Dallas, you can get far more house for your dollars. I just don't see how you folks make it up there. I can see why we have so many northern transplants down here.
Believe me it's not easy. Although salaries tend to be higher, they are not high enough to compensate for the high cost of everything. That's why the cost of living here is way above the national average. Even a small home will cost you a fortune. There is one upside. After owning a home here for a number of years, you have enough equity built up that if you wanted to relocate to a cheaper area, you could sell your house, move to that area, buy a larger home and have a small mortgage or no mortgage at all.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:53 PM

70 posts, read 125,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
Believe me it's not easy. Although salaries tend to be higher, they are not high enough to compensate for the high cost of everything. That's why the cost of living here is way above the national average. Even a small home will cost you a fortune. There is one upside. After owning a home here for a number of years, you have enough equity built up that if you wanted to relocate to a cheaper area, you could sell your house, move to that area, buy a larger home and have a small mortgage or no mortgage at all.
I have witnessed this firsthand, time and time again, not just from folk moving in from NJ/NY/CT but also California as well. They sell their homes there, come here and buy a home with a similar sq. footage, have no mortgage, and still have money left over to buy a house full of furniture and sometimes even, a car. They also say that their property taxes are half or even a quarter of what they were up north or out in Cali. I just don't understand the disparity.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
1) Go to Texasmls.com
2) Put in 175K to 200K
3) Look at the palaces available for 180K
4) Cry

I could almost buy one of those on unemployment they are so cheap.

Scott
The renter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey