Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 AM

48 posts, read 108,998 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My family and I are moving back to the northern bergen county area and could use some advice. My husband will be making a nice sized income (300k) and we are looking in the $700k range for a home. There are the usual factors we are hoping for (great schools, safe environment, nice house, etc). We are also looking for a community that will be accepting of our family.

I grew up in Ridgewood and my parents still live nearby. Growing up in Ridgewood, I was never that thrilled with the place. Now that I have explored the country and seen what other places are like, and now that I have little ones of my own, I can see why my parents chose to raise me there. I am looking for a similar feel in terms of the schools, safe & beautiful environment. Ridgewood is in consideration, but we are also open to other towns in that area as well.

Here is the additional factor that brings me to this forum. My husband is hispanic (with an accent) and my children have a very hispanic last name. What is your take on where we would feel welcome? We are not looking for a hispanic community really, we just want to be sure that we are not moving into a place where people are prejudiced.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 10:54 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,024,242 times
I wouldn't worry about your husband being hispanic and your children's last names. Though a heavily white area, Bergen County is still diverse and welcoming. Ridgewood's a good option. You could also look into nearby Waldwick, Wycoff, Ho-Ho-Kus, Glen Rock, ect. All are nice towns and offer similar perks. You should be able to get a nice house in those towns with that budget. The NJ Transit Main Line runs through that area as well if you need transportation into the city for work.

Welcome back!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:10 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,589,652 times
Try Ramsey.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Welcome back!
Thank you!

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about your husband being hispanic and your children's last names. Though a heavily white area, Bergen County is still diverse and welcoming. Ridgewood's a good option. You could also look into nearby Waldwick, Wycoff, Ho-Ho-Kus, Glen Rock, ect. All are nice towns and offer similar perks. You should be able to get a nice house in those towns with that budget. The NJ Transit Main Line runs through that area as well if you need transportation into the city for work. !
That is reassuring to hear. I only remember one hispanic kid in my class growing up in Ridgewood and I do not remember him ever being targeted for teasing. Of course, I usually tried to steer clear of the mean kids myself, so maybe I just never noticed? Plus that was a long time ago now, and I know tensions are higher in this country. We have no connection to illegal immigrants etc (we are all born citizens), but it seems that in some places there is so much anger they will take it out on anyone. That is the last thing we want!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Try Ramsey.
What makes Ramsey a good fit? Am interested in your take on this since I am not familiar with Ramsey (past knowing the name of course).

Old 11-19-2011, 05:02 PM

390 posts, read 1,364,769 times
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about your husband being hispanic and your children's last names. Though a heavily white area, Bergen County is still diverse and welcoming. Ridgewood's a good option. You could also look into nearby Waldwick, Wycoff, Ho-Ho-Kus, Glen Rock, ect. All are nice towns and offer similar perks. You should be able to get a nice house in those towns with that budget. The NJ Transit Main Line runs through that area as well if you need transportation into the city for work.

Welcome back!

Exactly this. (Especially the part where no one will care that your husband is hispanic. So are a hell of a lot of people here).

Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 PM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
Exactly this. (Especially the part where no one will care that your husband is hispanic. So are a hell of a lot of people here).
Yes, exactly that.

I grew up right next to Ridgewood in Midland Park, and there weren't many Hispanic people around Bergen County back then, but that has changed. And many of them are now second generation who have grown up either in NJ or NY and are college-educated professionals. I work with a lot of engineers and many of them are Hispanic. A fair amount of Latinos have moved up in the world and taken their place in NJ suburbia, don't worry. My daughter graduated high school from MP two years ago. Her class valedictorian's mother was from Ecuador. Father is an Italian immigrant. One of her other friend's father is from the DR. Another friend's mother is from India. Bergen County is not as homogenous as it once was.

I'm pretty sure you'd find a good number of Spanish last names on the roster of physicians at Valley Hospital now, too.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, exactly that.

I grew up right next to Ridgewood in Midland Park, and there weren't many Hispanic people around Bergen County back then, but that has changed. And many of them are now second generation who have grown up either in NJ or NY and are college-educated professionals. I work with a lot of engineers and many of them are Hispanic. A fair amount of Latinos have moved up in the world and taken their place in NJ suburbia, don't worry. My daughter graduated high school from MP two years ago. Her class valedictorian's mother was from Ecuador. Father is an Italian immigrant. One of her other friend's father is from the DR. Another friend's mother is from India. Bergen County is not as homogenous as it once was.

I'm pretty sure you'd find a good number of Spanish last names on the roster of physicians at Valley Hospital now, too.
Great to hear! My husband will be happy to hear this as well. I am so excited to move back "home". I am glad to hear that my excitement about moving back to the area is right on. Sounds like my hub and kids will love our new home too.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
Awesome. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Just remembered something from back in my day. Do kids still egg pedestrians at night? That was always such a nuisance. I even remember kids throwing cherry slurpees at pedestrians. What a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey