U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 PM

7 posts, read 32,551 times

Advertisements

Can someone recommend a good place to rent a 1-2 BR in Hamilton for around $1000-1200? I recently got a job in Trenton. I am looking for something within commuting distance.

I was told that there are areas of Hamilton that are better than others?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,442,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njresidential View Post
Can someone recommend a good place to rent a 1-2 BR in Hamilton for around $1000-1200? I recently got a job in Trenton. I am looking for something within commuting distance.

I was told that there are areas of Hamilton that are better than others?
First, congrats on the job.

Now the question:

Why limit yourself to Hamilton? You can also look in Robbinsville, East Windsor, Lawrenceville, and other areas. I mean, you say "commutable distance" but that's different for everyone - I worked near Rider and I commuted from New Brunswick without a problem. It was about a 45 minute commute.

I would recommend not limiting yourself to Hamilton because we're talking overall quality of life. Would an extra 10-20 minutes on your commute be worth it if you had a nice place to live?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 PM

2,951 posts, read 8,292,202 times
agree
Hamilton is ok but it is a big township and part of it borders Trenton. You want to stay away from that border.

Take a look at Plainsboro too, easy trip into Trenton and a few decent apartment complexes to choose from in your price range. Ravens Crest, Hunters Glen, Fox Run to name a few.

Plainsboro has a bit more "intimate" feel to it as well as being more acessible to a bit of a downtown in Princeton, few good restaurants, bars and younger night life than Hamilton.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 32,551 times
Thanks! I used to do an hr and a half commute each way, so I am looking for less than that now.

I will look at the areas that you mentioned. Also considering Pennington/Hopewell Township, Allentown, etc. I would love somewhere out in "the country" that is around 30-45 min commute from Trenton.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:13 PM

884 posts, read 2,071,506 times
Quote:
Thanks! I used to do an hr and a half commute each way, so I am looking for less than that now.

I will look at the areas that you mentioned. Also considering Pennington/Hopewell Township, Allentown, etc. I would love somewhere out in "the country" that is around 30-45 min commute from Trenton.
For a place out in the country its hard to beat Hopewell and East Amwell. Also consider the PA side of the Delaware river in that same area. I believe they call that Washington's Crossing, (Bucks County) check it out all the way up to New Hope, PA and the Jersey side (Lambertville).

Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,442,796 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what rentals are out there, but Chesterfield might be a nice option.

I'd kind of avoid Hamilton, to be honest. Since you don't know the area that well you don't know what you're gonna get.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:58 AM

1,247 posts, read 2,816,612 times
No reason to completely avoid Hamilton. It is a large town. As far as the good versus bad areas, I would say once you get west of 295 is where it starts to get bad, and I know there are plenty of apartment complexes east of 295. The extreme eastern portions of Hamilton are kind of "out in the country" too. Why make your commute longer than it needs to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey