Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times

Advertisements

I'm working with an organization that delivers can good to people in need.

The streets I will be going to are

16th ave

Parkhurst st

Avon ave

hillside ave

dawson st

Will I be safe on my route? I need to know because If not I can't do this.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM

17 posts, read 57,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
I'm working with an organization that delivers can good to people in need.

The streets I will be going to are

16th ave

Parkhurst st

Avon ave

hillside ave

dawson st

Will I be safe on my route? I need to know because If not I can't do this.

Those are mostly black parts of the city except Dawson st. So no, don't do it.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:53 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyResident View Post
ohh boy you really set yourself up for the racist comments. Just wait. I am suprised someone has a set of balls to say this!! hats off!!! Usually they sugar coat it and just say its a bad area.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:36 PM

67 posts, read 344,142 times
More info is needed...
What do you mean by safe?

Sure most of those are bad areas, but it's not like Newark is the wild west.

You're not likely to get shot, mugged, car jacked at 11am on a Tuesday while making deliveries of canned string beans and corn.

Are you delivering to house's, or are you delivering to a center/distribution point?
Night, or daytime?

If it's the latter for both, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:36 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,491 times
I'm staying the hell away from this thread after the initial responses, I can tell you that much.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:54 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyResident View Post
In the parts I used to live in, as a white female, I was safer in the black side of the city than I felt in some of the white areas. Color of residents and or delivery person isn't always an indicator of safety, in my opinion.

As a white person traveling in different areas doing home care, if the white people in a "bad neighborhood" didn't know me, they'd give me a tough time or make lewd comments (men nearly 20 years younger than me, which was creepy). Black people almost never taunt or bother me, even though I look nothing like them. The older people mostly just want to serve you some type of food once you get to their house, if one was to generalize much.

The key - look like you are confident and keep moving purposefully, no matter what section you are in - black, white, or purple. If you know how to use protection, carry it with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey