Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 AM

391 posts, read 1,475,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How would maintenance and reconstruction be paid for without the tolls?
the same way every other non toll road in the counry does it would be my guess.

i'd also guess that a huge chunk of the toll money goes to pay the salaries/benefits of the toll collectors and turnpike authority bureaucrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
the same way every other non toll road in the counry does it would be my guess.

i'd also guess that a huge chunk of the toll money goes to pay the salaries/benefits of the toll collectors and turnpike authority bureaucrats.
There are plenty of toll roads in other parts of the country, but I was talking about NJ, actually. Our roads are in terrible shape, so tossing the Turnpike/GSP expenses in with that probably would show up in their deterioration.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
the problem is that just cutting the money will only lead to a cut in the spending that is acutally useful, not the spending you really want cut. this is because the people who control the money want you to feel the pain of taking money from them.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is a big increase and should reduce traffic on the Garden State Parkway a bit. At least I can enjoy that aspect since I have little choice but to use it. They do appear to be using the money wisely though, expanding lanes south of Tom's River. I can remember when there was no EZPass and driving to Atlantic City meant stopping every 7 minutes to drop quarters in a basket. Then the dreaded narrowing to 2 lanes south of Exit 80. Today, there are lots more lanes, with more being built, and express EZPass. A trip to the shore is a breeze for the most part. It's worth the money if they keep making improvements like this. The Parkway is also generally very well maintained in terms of a smooth surface. I can accept toll increases as long as they keep the GSP well maintained, keep adding nice new lanes, and keep improving EZPass. Just another cost of life in the best state in the country.
Most definately will cut back on the GSP.

I just need to find out where then bus stop is for me to get down to Wall Township.

Christie is just like the rest of them. While this was proposed under Corslime, I'm sure he could have stopped it.

Might be a different admin, but all they do is send in different clowns.

I pray that I'm alive the day the revolution starts again.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:13 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
4 weeks to the toll increase. can't wait. oh by the way the same thing happens again in several years. how come the powers to be don't stop this madness.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:52 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
4 weeks to the toll increase. can't wait. oh by the way the same thing happens again in several years. how come the powers to be don't stop this madness.
Because the powers that be are the madness. The people who vote them in are the bacilli.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
because nobody bribes a politician to cut government spending.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 PM

239 posts, read 467,764 times
All the politicians from Obama and our Governors all talk a good game about how much they care about the average person, and say they are trying to get this country back on track but their actions speak loudly. Every move these guys do benifit themselves and not the hard working slob that is trying to make ends meet. Raise the tolls and give all your state workers a raise with our money. Instaed of helping us they continue to make living in this state much more difficult.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
All the politicians from Obama and our Governors all talk a good game about how much they care about the average person, and say they are trying to get this country back on track but their actions speak loudly. Every move these guys do benifit themselves and not the hard working slob that is trying to make ends meet. Raise the tolls and give all your state workers a raise with our money. Instaed of helping us they continue to make living in this state much more difficult.

It's a separate agency from the rest of the state, so I don't see how "all the state workers" would benefit from the toll increase.

Are the Turnpike Authority employees getting raises? Just wondering. I suspect it's more likely that the state plans to siphon off money from the NJTA tolls increase to use for other, non-NJTA projects.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM

573 posts, read 970,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
man how do you guys live there? i lived in philly for a year and a half, and went to nyc a few times, and yes the tolls are crazy. jersey has very expensive prop tax, and tolls are hard to avoid if you really need to commute somewhere for work. is there many people leaving jersey?
You gotta know how to utilize the roads. I live close to NYC and used to commute to Edison 5 days a week. My route was turnpike south (getting on in Secaucus at 16e) to 15e (or 15W, whichever one leads you to 78 west) to 78 west to parkway south (getting on at 140). The parkway was free from 140 to 131, where I got off. Utilizing that route my daily toll was only $1.00 each way. if I had taken the turnpike exclusively, my tolls would be around $90.00 a month (16e to exit 11, even more to exit 10), which is outrageous. Even so, that route cost me some time, but the gas usage did not seem to vary all that much. Traffic was also pretty much the same. You either hit it around Newark airport taking the turnpike exclusively, or using my route as stated above, you would hit alot of traffic on 78 west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's a separate agency from the rest of the state, so I don't see how "all the state workers" would benefit from the toll increase.

Are the Turnpike Authority employees getting raises? Just wondering. I suspect it's more likely that the state plans to siphon off money from the NJTA tolls increase to use for other, non-NJTA projects.
I always thought that is why EZpass minimum balances needs to be $10. With automatic replenishment, why do you need a minimum balance? Just another way to get money from you that you won't fight about so much. It's like an extra tax.

I'm glad I'm not a trucker that uses the turnpike, their tolls are CRAAAAZZZZYYY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is a big increase and should reduce traffic on the Garden State Parkway a bit. At least I can enjoy that aspect since I have little choice but to use it. They do appear to be using the money wisely though, expanding lanes south of Tom's River. I can remember when there was no EZPass and driving to Atlantic City meant stopping every 7 minutes to drop quarters in a basket. Then the dreaded narrowing to 2 lanes south of Exit 80. Today, there are lots more lanes, with more being built, and express EZPass. A trip to the shore is a breeze for the most part. It's worth the money if they keep making improvements like this. The Parkway is also generally very well maintained in terms of a smooth surface. I can accept toll increases as long as they keep the GSP well maintained, keep adding nice new lanes, and keep improving EZPass. Just another cost of life in the best state in the country.
Most definately will cut back on the GSP.

I just need to find out where then bus stop is for me to get down to Wall Township.

Christie is just like the rest of them. While this was proposed under Corslime, I'm sure he could have stopped it.

Might be a different admin, but all they do is send in different clowns.

I pray that I'm alive the day the revolution starts again.
Marc: more lanes means they get more paying customers.

camaro69: Is there a train that goes there? I was never one to rely too much on NJ busses. I once had a 4 hour commute to college one week when my car was in the shop via NJ busses, that i had to include a leg of my Journey to the bus terminal in NYC!

Last edited by stevebri; 03-08-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey