Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM

7 posts, read 46,188 times

Advertisements

I just moved to NJ from WV when i turned 18, and have no bank account, car, job or credit card and I'm living with a friends family so I don't have a rental agreement.

(Cant open a bank account due to no id and cant get a credit card because i have no job and i cant get a job without an id) I'm stuck in a loop of problems =/

I really need to get this id asap because i need to take a train to visit my family in WV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 PM

133 posts, read 329,870 times
You can go to the local DMV for a non-driver ID card. Here's the info:

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 11-30-2011, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 46,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pci2k View Post
You can go to the local DMV for a non-driver ID card. Here's the info:

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission
Thanks but im looking more for how i should get proof of address

Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 PM

10,218 posts, read 19,094,071 times
• Utility or credit card bill showing your name at current address, issued within the last 90 days
• A property tax bill, statement, or receipt within the last year
• Any letter or correspondence (including tax bills) received from the IRS or state tax office in the last year
• High school or college report card or transcript within past 2 years (must contain address)
• Original lease or rental agreement with your name listed as the lessee or renter
• First-class mail from any government agency within 6 months
• Checking or savings account statement (bank or credit union) within 60 days
• Parent/guardian certification (if under 18 years old) that verifies you are living with a parent/guardian

If you don't have any of these, no ID for you. It shouldn't be too hard to arrange to receive first class mail from a government agency, though. Don't you have WV ID you can use for the train?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,240,176 times
Do you have an old school id???

Old 12-01-2011, 11:06 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,636,634 times
You are looking for proof of a permanent residence when in fact you don't have one at the moment. You are simply staying over at a friend's home at this time. If you want documentation, will will have to establish a more permanent status at this location.

When you obtain employment, start paying rent or board and get it in writing. Do you have a dl from your former state? That will be a start.

A birth certificate of proof of legal residence in the country is needed for employment. If the potential employer really wants a location, your host should be able to provide that info.

Amtrak regulations can require a photo id but a simple proof of address will not satisfy that unless it is issued by a govt. agency:

Quote:
Passenger Identification
Quote:

Amtrak has undertaken heightened security measures for the benefit of our customers. Your biggest problem is the time frame you are under.
Valid Photo Identification Required

Photo ID Required

Amtrak customers 18 years of age and older must produce valid photo identification when:
  • Obtaining, exchanging or refunding tickets
  • Storing baggage at stations
  • Checking baggage
  • Sending Amtrak Express shipments
  • Onboard trains, in response to a request by an Amtrak employee
Please note that unaccompanied children 15 and older must also produce valid photo ID when purchasing tickets.
Random Ticket/ID Checks

Following federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines, we regularly conduct random ticket verification checks onboard trains to ensure that passengers are properly ticketed. Please be prepared to show valid photo identification to a member of the onboard crew upon request.
What is a Valid ID?

To be valid, your identification must be current and in-force. The following forms of identification are acceptable for persons 18 and older:
  • One piece of photo identification issued by a government authority, or
  • Two pieces of identification, at least one of which is issued by a government authority
Examples of acceptable forms of ID include:
  • State or provincial driver's license
  • Passport
  • Official government-issued identification (federal, state or county government or foreign government)
  • Canadian provincial health card ID card with photo
  • Military photo ID
  • Student identification (university, college or high school photo ID)
  • Job Corps photo ID
Policy Regarding Ticket Purchase

Passengers purchasing tickets from station ticket agents or on board trains from conductors must provide photo identification and be at least 15 years old.
Passengers boarding at any staffed station or station with a Quik-Trak kiosk should purchase tickets prior to boarding the train.

Tickets purchased on board include a service fee built into the fare. This fee cannot be waived.
A birth certificate should do it for at least one of those document requirements.

Last edited by rscalzo; 12-01-2011 at 11:17 AM..

Old 02-14-2015, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 13,049 times
I'm disappointed in the postings in response to this question, none of you were helpful AT ALL. The person just said they have none of those documents duh. What you should do is get the person your staying with to notarize a letter that you live with them. Bring that persons lease and letter to the county to get a county I.d. or you can sign up for something to be sent from the unemployment office or welfare etc.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:19 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,571,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonative View Post
I'm disappointed in the postings in response to this question, none of you were helpful AT ALL. The person just said they have none of those documents duh. What you should do is get the person your staying with to notarize a letter that you live with them. Bring that persons lease and letter to the county to get a county I.d. or you can sign up for something to be sent from the unemployment office or welfare etc.
I'm sure that a lot of posters here are disappointed that you needed to dig up a 3 year old thread

Old 11-12-2015, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,997 times
Apply for a prepaid debit card. It will get sent to the house but will take a couple of days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey