Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 AM

6 posts, read 42,316 times

Advertisements

Taking my NJ DMV road test next week and having doubts about whether or not a toyota highlander is ok to use for my test. Confused about emergency break & foot break, is that the same? Your thoughts please, so I can look for other options and have ample time to familiarize myself should I need to look for a different car. Please refer to photo, the only other break I know is the foot parking break on the leftmost side on the floor, drivers side. TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Using mid size SUV for my DMV road test-interior_highlander.jpg  

Last edited by Marie_LA; 01-15-2013 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: give more info & attach photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_LA View Post
Taking my NJ DMV road test next week and having doubts about whether or not a toyota highlander is ok to use for my test. Confused about emergency break & foot break, is that the same? Your thoughts please, so I can look for other options and have ample time to familiarize myself should I need to look for a different car. TIA!
I think the rule is that the instructor must either be able to pull the emergency brake (ie: lever style in the center console) from the passenger seat, or if there is not one that they must be able to reach their leg over the center console to press on the brake (referred to as the "foot brake") in order to stop the car in an emergency. I'm not familiar enough with a Toyota Highlander to know whether or not it would be suitable, but if it has a center console emergency brake you should be fine.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM

6 posts, read 42,316 times
Thanks, Badfish740. I've attached a photo (highlander interior) for reference. I have this almost certain feeling that I need to make a plan B, just need others to help confirm my doubt. We only have one car, don't like asking big favors esp to borrow a car for couple of days, such a pain!

Ok so I just got off the phone with dmv and the rep confirmed it:

1. I cannot use the highlander, based on the description.
2. Rental car is also NOT possible. Even if husband who has license signs & writes me as extra driver, I have no license to show the rental ofc yet.
3. She did offer me the a couple of suggestions, should I have friends who may have that car. Honda Civic or Impala. She knows for sure they have either the bench type of seating or an emergency brake that is easily accessible.

Hope this post helps someone in the future. Thanks again!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Well, you already got the answer, but just to confirm, no a Highlander won't work. The car needs to either have a lever style emergency brake which is usually mounted in the center console near the gear selector or it cannot have a full center console so the tester can reach the foot actuated emergency brake. There are very few cars and SUV's these days that don't have a full center console. On top of that, it is ultimately up to the discretion of the tester as to whether they feel that they can comfortably reach a floor mounted brake. So, you are pretty much limited to finding a car that has the lever style emergency brake.

One option is to contact a driving school. Many of them offer "loaner" vehicles that can be used for taking the test. A driving instructor will pick you up at your home and take you to the testing site and you then use their "dual brake" equipped vehicle (basically a secondary brake pedal mounted on the passenger side) to take the test. This is pretty much a foolproof approach as you are guaranteed their car will be acceptable and you get a ride to and from the testing site. This will cost money, but most likely not much more then renting a car and you won't have the hassle of trying to borrow one and hoping that it will be acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey