Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,803 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a first time homebuyer who is currently looking. I work in the New Brunswick area and am looking to move nearby. I live about 20 minutes south of Princeton. I was looking at Hillsborough however as far as prices go it was too expensive. I came across Manville, saw how reasonably priced it was and started to look into it. I found that parts tend to flood. The home I saw pictures of and basically loved was on Huff Ave. I was curious is anyone knew anything about that street particularly. Also does anyone know of any other good areas to check out to buy in that area? I dont want to deal with flooding issues. I am looking to lessen my commute (i currently drive 45-50 minutes each way) and still be close to home (robbinsville/hamilton area) any advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 PM

328 posts, read 1,046,262 times
I think Huff ave is in a flooding section. Check the MLS with a realtor. They have to disclose if it's in a flood zone since you'd need flood insurance. I think that's a long street though so it might not all be a flood zone.

The best area is the Weston section which is where the elementary school is (southern part of town and west of main street). In the numbered streets, you want to stay above about 5th street or so and south of Knopf Street to avoid the areas that flood. This is what I can tell from having driven through the town for years (during Floyd, the 2007 noreaster and Irene) - definitely check with a realtor though!

There are areas of Hillsborough that flood too. People start freaking out about Manville flooding but it really is only certain sections. The homes were mostly built in the 50s and 60s so they are the smaller starter homes and more affordable than most of the rest of Somerset County.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:38 PM

93 posts, read 211,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
Hello! I am a first time homebuyer who is currently looking. I work in the New Brunswick area and am looking to move nearby. I live about 20 minutes south of Princeton. I was looking at Hillsborough however as far as prices go it was too expensive. I came across Manville, saw how reasonably priced it was and started to look into it. I found that parts tend to flood. The home I saw pictures of and basically loved was on Huff Ave. I was curious is anyone knew anything about that street particularly. Also does anyone know of any other good areas to check out to buy in that area? I dont want to deal with flooding issues. I am looking to lessen my commute (i currently drive 45-50 minutes each way) and still be close to home (robbinsville/hamilton area) any advice?
This is a link to a government flood calculator. Just type in the address and be sure to put that the property is residential and the flood risk of the property should come up.

Floodsmart | Flood Map Update Schedule | Flood Risks | Flood Insurance

Old 11-30-2011, 10:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,986,120 times
I would also not live in an area with regular flooding (Wayne, Manville, Pompton Lakes, Lincoln Park, Pine Brook, Fairfield, etc.) Even if your house has a base elevation above the flood plane, the whole town gets knocked for a loop when there is a flood, and traffic is a nightmare, and schools close and everything is disrupted. It's not just about your house. I'd look in towns that have little or no exposure to river flooding if I were you.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 AM

328 posts, read 1,046,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I would also not live in an area with regular flooding (Wayne, Manville, Pompton Lakes, Lincoln Park, Pine Brook, Fairfield, etc.) Even if your house has a base elevation above the flood plane, the whole town gets knocked for a loop when there is a flood, and traffic is a nightmare, and schools close and everything is disrupted. It's not just about your house. I'd look in towns that have little or no exposure to river flooding if I were you.
That sounds logical but then you can't really live anywhere near a town like Manville (or the other ones you mentioned) because they ALL get disrupted. People couldn't get from Branchburg to Hillsborough during Irene. In fact, going through Manville was the only way many of them could get home (contrary to the popular belief than Manville becomes a complete island). Rt 206 was flooded out which disrupts many towns (Manville, Hillsborough, Belle Mead, Bridgewater, Somerville, Raritan, Somerset, etc). When the floods are enough to put parts of Manville underwater, then several other towns have huge issues as well (parts of Somerville, Raritan and Hillsborough were flooded out by Irene and the 2007 Noreaster as well). Manville has the most homes affected so they get all the attention but it really does affect the whole area. Bottom line is that if you are truly concerned about flooding (which is a valid concern), most of Somerset County is out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey