Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times

Advertisements

They give HUGE discounts to college students, you just need your ID - when I was in school a year membership at BJs was around $20/yr

Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
Even without Costco, a college student can get by on:

Ramen (10 for a dollar, that's 10 meals right there - the dorms will have ways for her to cook it)
Store Brand peanut butter
Store brand jelly
Store Brand bread.

If we're talking nutrition, a box of cheerios and milk can go a long way too.

If there's one nearby, ALDI can provide fruit and other nutritional items very cheaply.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
They give HUGE discounts to college students, you just need your ID - when I was in school a year membership at BJs was around $20/yr
Doesn't matter. In the student's situation, BJ's is a lose proposition. You have to pay a large amount of money for all the food up front with no guarantee it would be used.

A true "starving" college student can get by with 30-40 dollars worth of food a week, if that. Won't be the most nutritious in the world, but five bucks worth of vitamins will cover that for three months.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Doesn't matter. In the student's situation, BJ's is a lose proposition. You have to pay a large amount of money for all the food up front with no guarantee it would be used.

A true "starving" college student can get by with 30-40 dollars worth of food a week, if that. Won't be the most nutritious in the world, but five bucks worth of vitamins will cover that for three months.
I didn't mean to imply this was a solution to her problem, just that the cost of of a membership is much less for students.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:13 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
I would work anywhere parttime before I would try going to college hungry. I think she's better off at home, or maybe an online college for doctors, lol. She seems bright, I could never pass classes without enough food. She needs to eat though. It's a huge health risk and she's more vulnerable to illness going around. I feel bad hearing this. I will pray for you guys. She needs to be better to herself. I know those meal plans are 1000s and its a rip off if u ask me. This is one reason why I dropped out of college.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,303 times
I can not believe what I am reading. If you can't afford school for your daughter, she needs to drop out. It's not fair, but life isn't fair. She needs to get a job and go back later.
I find it hard to believe she wouldn't qualify for every program under the sun, including a meal plan if you're income is that limited.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
There's something missing here. If you're financially deprived to the point where you are losing weight due to a lack of food... you would most certainly qualify for financial aid that would cover meals at school.

*scratches head*

Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's something missing here. If you're financially deprived to the point where you are losing weight due to a lack of food... you would most certainly qualify for financial aid that would cover meals at school.

*scratches head*
I personally think this was a trolling thread too but I kept my mouth shut until someone brought it up.

Too many things in the money situation don't make sense. Let's not forget we're talking about a girl. Who lost 40 pounds as per the original poster. Who, if she is poor as they are saying, is probably living with a roommate... who wouldn't take pity on her and share food?

Why is the sister going hungry and no one else in the family? Can't you find a way to get food to the sister? As I said, ramen is CHEAP.

Sorry, I'm highly dubious of the OP.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
tell your daughter she is 19 to possibly work part time? I mean when I was 19 I was full of energy, young and vibrant. When your young you kind of go with out sleep. I remember doing double and triple shifts in my twentys at work and goinging to college!!! So after she gets one good meal in her , go look! Not trying to be mean but if she wants to be a doctor , working now is good practice to how hard its going to be in the real world! Life is not all study!

Old 12-03-2011, 05:10 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Please have her go to the local salvation army, the local st. vincent de paul, also, she should go to her adviser, counselor anyone that is the person she consults re: class schedules etc. Better yet, can you call those ppl for her. Often college age kids would not reach out, because they are embarassed. I don't want to frighten you, but I know of serious situations re college kids. It is heartbreaking to see your post. Please, where is her college located? I worked w/ a disaster agency for a few yrs, lutheran disaster response. Is there a lutheran church she can go to, or any church near/on campus. Please call them and share your need for your daughter, and also for your family. This is not right in the USA, so many have this need. Do you work w/ a social service agency?? If you do please contact someone about a christmas package. And, last suggestion, please contact an American's w/ a Disability, ADA agency, advocate....whoever you can get to answer the phone.
adding link re: homeless shelters web site that I found. Please check the various links, as there may be some agency that can provide assistance.
http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/
Please don't live on just ramen type foods, we had a student that starved to death because that was what he had been living on. Posters, if you don't believe someone, why do you post anything, if this is true story, or not, there are others that it would be true for. Be a part of the solution, not the problem. my 2 cents

Last edited by JanND; 12-03-2011 at 06:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey