Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,799 times

Advertisements

I am unable to provide food for my daughter. I live on 705.25 a month and support 4 people. Forget about Christmas for my 2 minor children. I have a 19 yr old, full-time college student that lives on campus, (about 60 miles from home). She has NO meal plan and has lost 40 lbs since Sept, she is sick a lot. She/we can't afford a meal plan for her. I have been disabled for 20+ years. I go to a food pantry but I can't feed her from home. Does anyone/place give grocery store gift cards to college kids. She can't get food stamps. She is my dependent for college as far as the goverment is concerned, but she too old for assistance as far as the government is concerned, PLEASE HELP. My younger children and I am giving whatever we can to her for food for Christmas. I can see the effect in her grades. She is doing very good but the stress/hunger is affecting her. She is planning to be a Dr. If we could take out another loan that would be great but financial aid told her she can't. When ANYONE, even just being polite asks any of us what we want for Christmas, the kids and I say a Shop-rite card for Dana.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
You need to have your daughter contact the financial aid office and speak to them about what's going on. There are programs and options for assistance that they can help her with. Due to the age problem, where she is too young to not have your income considered but too old to qualify for support for you, she can request to have you taken off her financial information at the school and just have her situation based on her income alone. I had to do this since my father left us many years ago but his income was still considered under financial aid when I first went to college. You can be removed, it just takes some phone calls and contacting the right people.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Good advice above. She might also look into a job with the college food service. That would take care of her meals too.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Good advice above. She might also look into a job with the college food service. That would take care of her meals too.
Or even a job at a local fast food restaurant. 10 hours a week will take care of her food cost needs + she'll get access to food there.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,122 times
If she has been there over a year, have her look into being an RA (Room Administrator), they get room and board for FREE at most Universities.

As for your Children, I would contact a local Church and see if they can help you out for Christmas and even give you some food items...(Its better if you join thier Church if its the Denomation of your choice, as they will be more receptive to your needs and further help you out).

Catholic Charities, food pantries, GoodWill Industries, Salvation Army, Toys for Tots (Marine Corp Sponsored), and other Charities are out there to help you also.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Go into this link and see if any of these places are close to you: New Jersey Anti-Hunger Coalition - Food Pantries - Burlington County

Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
If she has been there over a year, have her look into being an RA (Room Administrator), they get room and board for FREE at most Universities.
I've never heard of a room administrator at any college or university. I think you mean Resident Assistant.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I've never heard of a room administrator at any college or university. I think you mean Resident Assistant.
+1
I believe that Mr. Keegan is correct.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
same thing. they called them Gryphons at my university. the sad thing about this post, the OP is not in a minority situation. I just read this (Food Pantries See Increased Need in Maplewood, West Orange, Livingston - West Orange, NJ Patch) and it breaks my heart. people are suffering, and the people who aren't suffering as much have been giving less. very difficult times.

OP -where is your daughter in college? I like the idea of working at the cafeteria, but those are usually work-study jobs. does she qualify for work study? local restaurants maybe are hiring. or maybe she could start volunteering at the local church or community center, and also get assistance herself? just some ideas. good luck!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
OP -where is your daughter in college? I like the idea of working at the cafeteria, but those are usually work-study jobs. does she qualify for work study? local restaurants maybe are hiring. or maybe she could start volunteering at the local church or community center, and also get assistance herself? just some ideas. good luck!
Possibly, I just remember when we took our son to orientation at his university 2 years ago they were begging kids to take an application at the dining hall.

The good thing about an on-campus job as opposed to an off-campus one is that they are generally more flexible with your hours. Class schedules are accommodated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey