Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 PM

15 posts, read 45,860 times

Advertisements

I am going to buy a new car here in New Jersey and the dealership wants me to buy the 4 year car registration at the time of purchase.

Is this possible to get a shorter registration period at a discounted price when you purchase a new car? (I don't have an existing NJ license plate right now.) If you buy a 4 year registration and then leave the state after only 10 months, can you get part of the money back if you return the license plate to the DMV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
leave the state after only 10 months, can you get part of the money back if you return the license plate to the DMV?
Are you mad???? NJ give BACK money!!!!!!

Bet on a serious note, no they will not refund the unused portion.

Quote:
Four-year Accelerated Registration Program
  • MVC implemented the Four-Year Accelerated Registration Program on October 1, 2004, requiring all owners of new passenger vehicles to pay the registration fee in full for the four-year period
  • If you have a new leased vehicle you will have to pay the registration fee for the term of your lease. If your lease agreement extends beyond the normal calendar year expiration period (38-month leases as opposed to 36 months), you are also required to pay for the next full year’s registration period (48 months)
  • The Four-Year Accelerated Registration Program and the initiative to extend inspections for new vehicles from two years to four, will enable MVC to coordinate the terms of registrations and inspections (Registrations and inspections for new vehicles purchased after Oct. 1, 2004 expire on the same date)
  • Refunds will not be given for any unused portion of the four-year registration
  • The Four-Year Accelerated Registration Program includes all vehicles purchased for business use unless the equity in an unexpired registration is transferred
You can transfer the unused portion to another NJ VEHICLE registered to you.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,228 times
There is no other option that I am aware of in NJ other then the new 4 year option.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Only option is a used car or a lease.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,228 times
Even with a 3 year lease they still get the 4 year registration. I just leased a new Honda for 36 months and there was no other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Only option is a used car or a lease.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
If you buy a new vehicle, there is no other choice but to get the 4-year registration. In terms of leasing, if you have a traditional even number of years lease, 24 or 36 months, etc. you should only have to pay for that time period. If you were charged for 4 years, it was a mistake or the dealer was unaware.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 PM

990 posts, read 2,555,938 times
I see a "problem" with this new registration idea.

Suppose you move out of state within the four year span.

You seem to be "out the money".

How is this fair?

Silly me, this is New Jersey, what does fair have to do with anything.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
I see a "problem" with this new registration idea.

Suppose you move out of state within the four year span.

You seem to be "out the money".

How is this fair?

Silly me, this is New Jersey, what does fair have to do with anything.
Personally it is worth the risk of moving out of state and losing that small amount of money for not having to deal with it for 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey