Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,761,631 times

Advertisements

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._steals_c.html

Quote:
NEWARK — When a Newark cop allegedly told a drunken driver to get out of his pickup truck and sober up, it probably seemed like he was giving the guy a break.

But shortly after instructing the driver to hoof it and retrieve the pickup later, officer Enrique Gonzalez took the truck to Garfield, where police say he used it to ram his estranged wife’s car.

"He says, ‘Okay, I’m not going to arrest you. Park your car here. I’m going to leave the keys in the tailpipe. Come back and get the car when you’re sober,’" DeMaio said. The driver "comes back several hours later and finds the car gone."

Meanwhile, Gonzalez took the Ford F-450, DeMaio said, and went to pay his estranged wife’s car a visit when he was pulled over by Elmwood Park police for erratic driving. "He said he was late for work, he apologizes, and they let him go," DeMaio said.

Gonzalez, 28, continued to Garfield, where he allegedly rammed his wife’s 2011 Hyundai. The Hyundai was parked behind the woman's Buick which also sustained damage. DeMaio said the six-year Newark veteran then informed local police that some unidentified person had inflicted the damage.

"The officer subsequently tried to make an accident report at the Garfield Police Department on behalf of his wife’s vehicle," DeMaio said.

But Gonzalez allegedly copped an attitude when he made his report, leading Garfield police to call their Newark counterparts and lodge a complaint, DeMaio said. Around the same time, the owner of the pickup reported his truck stolen in Newark.

As the pieces fell into place, DeMaio suspended Gonzalez immediately and Newark’s internal affairs bureau launched an investigation.

On Friday, Gonzalez was charged with criminal mischief and receiving stolen property, according to the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office, which is aiding in the investigation. Gonzalez is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 15.
I cracked up when I read this story. Guy must have had a hell of a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Newark police officer steals car from drunk driver, smashes into wife's car, authorities say | NJ.com

I cracked up when I read this story. Guy must have had a hell of a day.
I'm surprised they didn't tack on something about not doing his job because he let the drunk go.

Sorry, if you're DUI-ing in a freaking f-450 you NEED to be arrested.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
receiving stolen property......wouldn't it be grand theft auto??? or at least unauthorized use of a vehicle? gonna walk.......imo

Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I'm surprised they didn't tack on something about not doing his job because he let the drunk go.

Sorry, if you're DUI-ing in a freaking f-450 you NEED to be arrested.
Arrested, perhaps. Having the truck stolen and getting framed for destruction of property (which appears to be what the cop was up to), no.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 AM

668 posts, read 2,185,962 times
Sometimes, even our 'finest' will succumb to the pressures of unknown variables, and do whacko things...

But, if he is let off, then the Police Department should be held accountable. Totally unacceptable behaviour, and usage of an unauthorized vehicle.

I feel sorry for the Drunk, who now has no vehicle, because its probably in too bad a shape to even drive, having 'rammed' it hard enough to do damage to two vehicles! Been better for him to have paid the DUI and a few points on his liscence, then lose the use of his vehicle.

Just makes you wonder what made this Officer 'snap' like that, and, if he can get a refresher course so that he can become a productive member of that force, or, be forced to hand in his resignation?

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,659,967 times
Sadly Newark (among others) dropped their hiring standards because of pressure from various groups to a laughable level. They allowed some who should have never been in that position on the job. Now they see the result. NYPD learned that lesson the hard way years ago.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Sadly Newark (among others) dropped their hiring standards because of pressure from various groups to a laughable level. They allowed some who should have never been in that position on the job. Now they see the result. NYPD learned that lesson the hard way years ago.
The NYPD still hires thugs and idoits....

Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,659,967 times
Guess they don't let you play on the trains.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:51 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Arrested, perhaps. Having the truck stolen and getting framed for destruction of property (which appears to be what the cop was up to), no.
Huh? Where did I say the driver deserved having his truck stolen and framed? I said the cop's charges should have involved not doing his job because he didn't arrest the drunk driver who was driving a vehicle that could create a hell of a lot of damage.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:55 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The NYPD still hires thugs and idoits....

More than likely, the so-called idoits (sic) on the NYPD can spell the word "idiot" correctly, unlike Nexis.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: