U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 AM

14,938 posts, read 18,085,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Vietnam vets Association will come pick up clothes (or anything you want to donate) for free... you just schedule a delivery & leave it on your doorstep:
Free Clothing Donation Pick Up - Donate Clothes & Household Items

The Lupus Foundation does the same thing:
LUPUS FOUNDATION OF AMERICA - Household Goods Donation

Do you know for a fact whether either of these organizations actually gives this donated clothing to the needy? I don't know the answer to that question, but hopefully you do.

As I stated in my previous post on this topic, all too many charitable organizations simply sell donated clothing in bulk to rag dealers, and if the OP envisions some poor souls being kept warm by her donated winter coats, having a charity sell those coats to a rag dealer is not what she has in mind!

Last edited by Retriever; 12-05-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 AM

2,477 posts, read 5,169,813 times
Would you think about signing up with The Freecycle Network ?

I belong to one for the Middletown area - it a Yahoo message group. You post a message that will later appear on a message board and people contact you if they are interested. There are rules for the group - one of them is no reselling. That can't be tightly policed but I've had people who really need the things come and pick up. Once you contact through e-mail you arrange a time. I usually just advertise it as an easy porch pick up. It's a great way to get things directly to people who need them and reusing is even better than recycling.

People also post "wanted" messages so if you have anything you don't need anymore you can get rid of it without throwing out.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
As I stated in my previous post on this topic, all too many charitable organizations simply sell donated clothing in bulk to rag dealers, and if the OP envisions some poor souls being kept warm by her donated winter coats, having a charity sell those coats to a rag dealer is not what she has in mind!

...."her"?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
As a result, I prefer to give directly to organizations that operate thrift stores and that run shelters and/or rehabilitation programs for the destitute, such as The Salvation Army, Goodwill Industries, and The Rescue Mission of Trenton. Unfortunately, The Salvation Army tends to be overly "picky" with furniture items, so I only give clothing to them. With furniture, I prefer to donate to The Rescue Mission of Trenton.
We have a winner. There is a direct appeal for Men's work clothes on the Rescue Mission page, and I think polo shirts would qualify.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM

14,938 posts, read 18,085,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
...."her"?

Hmmm....Sorry about the gender mix-up.

But...some of my best friends are women!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 AM

2,762 posts, read 2,279,663 times
I guess with respect to the stuff not being lumped togehter in bins and sold.... I do understand what you are saying. I usually just get lazy and do the Viet Vet Pick up (today in fact doing lupus pick up. the advantage is that they come and pick it up from your porch and you can schedule online)... but I would agree that freecycle is definitely worth it. I have not done it recently but I have in the past= you list what you have, and I was pleased and surprised to get responses from people who were happy have it. (just for example, one time it was arts and crafts supplies that my kids had outgrown. I didnt want to toss them, as they were totally usable. another time it was a music stand... basketball hoop set.... but I am sure that clothing if you list the size etc would get a response too). Since I am not comfortable having folks IN my house, once someone was interested, I either met them in a parking lot or we set up and I left the stuff on my porch or in my driveway.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,343 times
Retreiver - ALL Clothing collection operations re-sell the clothes they collect. Fact, not all is simply turned into rags. Those Goodwill boutiques get filled with merchandise from a thriving second hand clothes commodoties market. And I would venture to say that nearly all collection bins are operated and owned by for profit collection firms.

Finally, the so-called not for profits like Goodwill, they generated $2.5 BILLION in retail revenue, let's not pity them or put them in the same category as the small church based mission.

Besides your small church based missions or shelters, the only way to make sure your clothes make it in the hands of someone who truly needs them is to hand them to them yourself.

On the bright side the growing demand, domestically and internationally, for used clothes is driving the growth of these businesses which provide jobs and economic development. All good things ultimately.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,531 times
Default FRA clothing donation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Hi all -

I just did a closet cleaning. While I don't have a lot of winter coats to donate, I do have a lot (10+) of gently used collared polo shirts that may be of use to someone in need.

(before someone says "EBay!" they are mainly Old Navy and lower-end stuff that will be more trouble than it's worth selling online)

I'd like to donate somewhere local, rather than shoving it into a mystery bin or something. Does anyone have any ideas?
this is a great place to donate clothing,shoes and some electronics and great cause research today if you want

Old 05-01-2014, 05:21 PM

285 posts, read 492,006 times
Rise Community Service in Hightstown, near exit 8 in NJTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or