Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 11,403 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, i read this forum since my husband and i started looking for the house and finally decided to sign up and post my question. Right now we are renting in Belleville. With our budget of about 275k we cannot afford too much even tho everyone claims house prices dropped so drastically.
First was Bergen county, but for these money we could buy a garage, so we moved to Essex- Belleville, Bloomfield, Nutley, West Orange. Nutley too expensive, Belleville nothing interesting and Bloomfield and West Orange, omg who can afford taxes of 12k per year.
So we moved our search to Newark-Forest Hill- only first 4 streets from Branch Brook Park between Heller Pkwy and 1st. This area is very nice, i've been there morning, afternoon, night, sunday and wednesday, you know what i mean and didn't see anyhting but manicured lawns and beautiful houses at affordable price. Not all because there are some that cost a million. But i want insider info, anyone lives there? Please help.
Also our second choice is south to Union County- especially Union and Elmora Hills in Elizabeth, how are these?
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 AM

Anyone? Any opinions?
Thanks

Old 12-06-2011, 07:51 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,070,596 times
Both are nice, but the difference is Forest Hills is surrounded by sketchier areas than Elmora Hills. I believe the area in Elmora is geographically larger than Forest Hills as well. The homes in Forest Hills would likely be larger and cost more.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:21 PM

There are houses in Forrest hill that are $800k but i also found 5-6 in my price range. But after driving by i realized most of these houses need new siding, windows and roof right away

Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 PM

13 posts, read 47,088 times
Elmora is supposed to be nice, but if you have or plan to have kids, Elizabeth and Newark do not have good public schools. Try Union- you should be able to find something in your price range there and the schools are a bit better. You may also find things in your price range in Roselle Park or Linden (but in Linden, stick to the section near Cranford).

Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hob630 View Post
Elmora is supposed to be nice, but if you have or plan to have kids, Elizabeth and Newark do not have good public schools. Try Union- you should be able to find something in your price range there and the schools are a bit better. You may also find things in your price range in Roselle Park or Linden (but in Linden, stick to the section near Cranford).
Thanks a bunch, you're right, public schools would be an issue in Newark for sure.
i will check Linden too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey