Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:42 AM

18 posts, read 32,129 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I recently relocated to NJ from the South, where we were used to bigger/newer homes (at least 2600 sq ft built after 2000). I see nothing like there in NJ and we need to find somewhere permanent to live. We have two kids in elelmentary (kind and 2nd grade), so school system is critical and besides price, our biggest consideration. Husband abnd I both work in parsippany and need to commute less than 30 minutes one-way to be home to pick up kids. Annual income is about 160K. I have heard good things about Madison and Montville. Any suggestions?

1. Looking for a 3-4 bedroom house/townhouse with basement - not too old
2. Great School system - all day kindergarten program would be ideal
3. will need some sort of after school program as we know no one in the area to watch kids after school lets out
4.Commute 30 minutes or less (preferrably less!) from Parsippany

All that being said, besides the school system and commute time, we are flexible on all other areas!

THanks for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM

11 posts, read 48,922 times
How much of a house are you planning to purchase? Both Madison and Montville aren't exactly cheap btw. Personally I would prefer Madison to Montville because of the lower property tax rate.

Other places for you to consider is Florham Park and Parsippany. Both are decent neighbourhoods with good school systems, and both have very reasonable property tax rates (relative in NJ).

Old 12-07-2011, 12:21 PM

453 posts, read 1,741,781 times
Florham Park is a good suggestion. I've been here for the most part since 1955. Easy commute to Parsippany.

DM me for a Realtor suggestion if needed.

Rhys

Last edited by RhysNJ; 12-07-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 02:00 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
Florham Park is a good suggestion. I've been here for the most part since 1955. Easy commute to Parsippany.

PM me for a realtor suggestion if needed.

Rhys

While Florham Park is a wonderful town, depending on where in Parsippany the job is located, the commute may be longer than 30 min each way. (I have a friend who commutes from the Convent Station/Florham Park boarder to the northwestern part of Parsippany, near Mt. Lakes and their commute is more like 40/45 minutes)

I'd add Randolph to the list...good schools, decent amount of newer housing stock. I know that they have an excellent afterschool program at all the elementary schools. Absolutely fantastic community activities/facilities with lots of parks and youth sports. Depending on where the job is located in Parsippany and which part of Randolph the house is located your commute could be as little as 10/15 minutes. Boonton Twp is also worth considering, esp since they go to top notch Mt. Lakes HS, just make sure that the house in not in the small part of the town that is a flood zone. (Mt Lakes is also a great place to live and has top notch schools, but I do not think they have much in newer housing)

Be careful when looking there are many areas close to Parsippany that are prone to flooding (parts of Parsippany, Denville, Dover, Boonton) I'd personally stay away from buying in Parsippany and Dover, while the schools are not "bad" they are certainly less desirable than neighboring towns.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

KoalaNJ

Old 12-07-2011, 06:13 PM

For clarification, job is located in Parsippany on Rt 10 near Littleton Road. Thanks for the input!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,418,156 times
I'd think you'd have lots of options in Parsippany and Denville alone. Heck, the Route 10 corridor from Livingston to Succasunna includes towns like Morris Plains, Randolph, Hanover and a bit north or south of Rte 10 there are more options. And I'll put a plug in for Boonton--it's going to be more affordable than neighboring Montville, Mt. Lakes, or Boonton Township, and though the school system is small it is rapidly improving. There's new townhouse construction around, too.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM

151 posts, read 528,050 times
I'll throw in my usual vote for Hanover Township (Whippany & Cedar Knolls). Great schools, nice neighborhoods, decent after school program at the schools.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machellesims View Post
Hi,

My family and I recently relocated to NJ from the South, where we were used to bigger/newer homes (at least 2600 sq ft built after 2000). I see nothing like there in NJ and we need to find somewhere permanent to live. We have two kids in elelmentary (kind and 2nd grade), so school system is critical and besides price, our biggest consideration. Husband abnd I both work in parsippany and need to commute less than 30 minutes one-way to be home to pick up kids. Annual income is about 160K. I have heard good things about Madison and Montville. Any suggestions?

1. Looking for a 3-4 bedroom house/townhouse with basement - not too old
2. Great School system - all day kindergarten program would be ideal
3. will need some sort of after school program as we know no one in the area to watch kids after school lets out
4.Commute 30 minutes or less (preferrably less!) from Parsippany

All that being said, besides the school system and commute time, we are flexible on all other areas!

THanks for any input!!

You told us that price is the biggest consideration, but you haven't told us what price you are comfortably able to afford.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:25 AM

Actaully, school system is the biggest consideration...

Old 12-08-2011, 07:27 AM

KoalaNJ - Parsippany seems to be on everyon'e list - but you say stay away....Any more specifics why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey