Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 12,650 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some feedback on the commute (by car) from Marlboro, Englishtown, Manalapan, Monroe Township and or Jackson to drive from one of those towns to College Point Queens NY (Near Citifield)... Driving back and forth everyday - is this doable or just insane? I know the tolls would be like $500 a month but aside from that - do you think this commute is realisitc? Would have to leave at 5am everyday and commute back in the evening.. I appreciate any of your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:21 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
That's nearly a 1.5 hour commute each way on a good day. Going to CP may be ok at 5am, but coming back during rush hour is going to be a beyatch.

My dad used to commute to CP from the city and he would only do it 'cus he doesn't need to drive during rush hour.

I personally think it's insane, but you may want to try it once just to make up your mind.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:01 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
It's a 2 bridge, bottle neck of a route that has very few work-arounds... it sounds like a recipe for one of the worst commutes possible.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Absolutely not doable. You will go postal and kill innocent people. Having said that, prison time might be preferrable to this commute.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
yeah, having this commute daily would suck really bad.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:00 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
I've done commute from Bayside, NY and Astoria, NY to Parsippany, NJ for about 2-3 weeks while I was moving. I wanted to kill someone because it was incredibly bad drive.

Except for rare days, your commute will be far longer than 1.5 hour each way and it's more like 2 hour each way on average plus very good amount of unhealthy road rage.

For the amount of gas and toll you have to pay. You might as well find a cheap motel to stay overnight during weekdays or some basement apartment somewhere.

Only thing that'll make this commute easier is if you have flexhour option and avoid the rush hours 7-9am and 4-7pm

Old 12-15-2011, 01:05 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times
I am an engineer and was working on a project at LaGuardia Airport where I had to perform site visits often. I was coming from middlesex county. This was a nightmare TWICE a week, hell once a week. If I left my house by 6am I could make it in one hour. If I left any later, it was 1.5 to 1.75 hrs. If it rained, it was 2hr +.

I took every combination of routes

NJTP to SIE to Belt to Van Wyck,
NJTP to SIE to BQE to Grand Central
NJTP to GWB to Cross Bronx to Grand Central

The fastest way for me was the GWB, unless there was an accident. If there was an accident i would divert to belt/Van Wyck route. The absolute worst is the BQE, that highway (if you can even call it that) is the devil. The kousco/Cusco whatever is ALWAYS backed up.

No joke, you will want to shoot yourself if you try to undertake this commute daily. The Pm commute would be worse. One day on a friday in the summer, it took me 3 hours to get home.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
One week into it you'll have killed many people in a blinding rage of carnage and blissful slaughter on the BQE from the LIE through Downtown Brooklyn. You won't even know it'd happened. There's few commutes I could recommend less.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:13 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Back in the 1980's I did a daily commute from Morris County to Woodsie Queens. Back the most days it was about 45 to 55 minutes each way, going in after 9 am and going in the Holland Tunnel and over the Willie B (Williamsburg Bridge) there was only one toll total round trip. Slightly different today. Many crosstown streets on the short ride between The Hole and The Willy have mid street parking, slowing things slightly and your tolls are about 3 times higher then back then.

It was a fairly easy ride back then cutting across lower Manhattan.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:00 AM

286 posts, read 851,290 times
You would hate life and make sure everyone suffers. You would drive through the heart of traffic hell.

You would need to drive up the Turnpike which can be bad. Then cross the George Washington Bridge which is always jam packed. Cross Bronx Expressway is evil incarnate and never free of traffic during rush hour.

Round trip tolls would be around $34.25 a day(if you have EZ-Pass). Also it would use alot of gas. Add another $15-$20 for gas per day depending on your gas mileage. Is the pay worth it?

You might as well get an apartment near there with all the money you will be spending. You could be spending $1000 in commuting costs a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey