Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,857 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am already a NJ resident, have lived in Marlboro for the past 9 years.

I currently own a condo and am looking to buy a bigger house for several reasons. Would like to have more privacy, more room (recently married and looking to start a family), more control of MY house - no more B.S. home owners associations - and possibly looking for a two family house because my mom is getting older and can not work much longer and I would like to provide her with an "apartment" or something similar (furnished basement) so she can retire, live with us but also maintain our privacy.

The reason I say Sayreville area is because I work in midtown manhattan (51st and Lexington) and take the Academy bus from Sayreville. It's the only bus in the area that I know about that makes stops in midtown manhattan (not port authority, I get off on 51st and Madison).

I've heard that Marlboro has a really good school system but also read on these boards that there are others in the area just as good, if not better. So, that is important as we look to start our family.

Does anyone know if there are bi-lingual schools around? My wife is dominican so our children will speak english and spanish, would want them to learn both languages in the proper way, so that would be very important as well.

My budget, I'm not exactly sure about... but I would imagine 500K - 600K.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Vinny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 PM

244 posts, read 597,689 times
I actually looked in Sayreville this past week. Your budget is more than enough. I looked here this past weekend.

Kaplan Companies New Homes - new homes in and around New Jersey.

This area is associated with Townelake is Woodrow Wilson School. I went to the school on Monday and spoke to the principal. This is is some info..
[SIZE=2]
Pros
- The principal was very nice and had a passion for the school
- Woodrow Wilson has the best 3rd grade test scores of all Elementary schools in Sayreville
- Since the building used to be a HS, there is a separate auditorium and cafeteria
- Diverse
- Mix of older and new teachers
- Close to Townelake
- They seem to be keeping up with technology - these use these "smart boards" I think they were called to teach
- They teach spanish at this elementary school
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]
Cons
- The principal is likely to retire before I have a kid there
- The school is old - build in the 20s - no fields/grass outside for the kids to play on , only black top
- In a few years, there may not be buses to Townelake - kids will have to walk or parents drive them/ 1/3 of the school now are "walkers" (could be a good thing)
- School is getting more crowded - 30 in the kindergarten classes this year - they are doing a study in Sayreville to discuss this (she doubts they will build another elementary school)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]

Overall, I am really torn. Sayreville is a little worn down and I've been hearing mixed things about the town, especially the Winding Wood Apartments - Of the 4,000 people that live in Sayreville, 5,000 live in WW and I've been hearing some not great things about the complex in terms of crime.

[/SIZE][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
How about Old Bridge?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 5,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
How about Old Bridge?
Old Bridge will definitely be a consideration.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:31 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Please check your DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey