Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:26 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times

Advertisements

Going south around Secaucus when it splits, about 1 in 10 trips I take, they have "roadway closed" on a big metal sign above the highway on the one side, but it is not closed and is perfectly fine to drive on.

Have seen this happen many times, always at night. I drive this route every weekday and it is usually within an hour of 9:30 PM when I am seeing this.

What is the deal here?

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 12-15-2011 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Going south around Secaucus when it splits, about 1 in 10 trips I take, they have "roadway closed" on a big metal sign above the highway on the one side, but it is not closed and is perfectly fine to drive on.

Have seen this happen many times, always at night. I drive this route every weekday and it is usually within an hour of 9:30 PM when I am seeing this.

What is the deal here?

I think they are trying to pinch off traffic before they start doing roadwork. Just a hunch though.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,970 times
They are probably just beginning to put up road signs before they start the road work. It takes time to set everything up, better that the oncoming traffic is well aware roadwork is ahead before you start anything. Alternatively, they could have just finished for the day and the signs are the last thing to come down.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 AM

284 posts, read 616,807 times
I also noticed the same, but before 9:30 pm...
I tried the "road closed" once, and was lucky that it wasn't closed but always wonder what would happen if it were actually closed.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
everytime they say that above my entrance, i see cars still on that road. it annoys me because they are always moving faster. recently, there were a few times people ignored it so i followed along with them. yesterday it said it was closed, i thought about ignoring the warning but i decided not to. nobody was on the road.

now, the real question is am i in any risk of getting a ticket if i ignore the sign and i am the only one on the road? the biggest concern would be to be blocked by actual construction.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,526 times
It takes some time to get all the traffic off the roadway. You can't put the sign up and close down the section under repair in a few minutes. The reason for the closure could very well be a few miles down the road and not visible from the on ramp.

Quote:
i in any risk of getting a ticket if i ignore the sign and i am the only one on the road?
Absolutely. Most likely Failure To Observe (Sign). NJTP and GSP does not use Title 39 references.

In addition, it they are doing construction that requires all lanes to be closed, you will not be permitted to turn around and return the way you came for obvious reasons.

Last edited by rscalzo; 12-15-2011 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 12:53 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
Sometimes they close the roadway to any "new" traffic in order to clean up an existing crash scene. This is why you will see trucks in the cars only lane and also cars that were already on the road just before they closed the lanes.
It is not a conspiracy against certain drivers.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:53 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
I also noticed the same, but before 9:30 pm...
I tried the "road closed" once, and was lucky that it wasn't closed but always wonder what would happen if it were actually closed.
i have been completely ignoring these signs and the road is never actually closed. I dont see an accident getting cleaned up, or any construction workers or equipment getting prepared for work.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
I believe if they are doing construction at the merge point, they'll often close the truck lane for the whole length.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:44 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,583,343 times
You also might be thinking of the exit ramps for the Meadowlands complex. Those are usually marked as closed except for when there is an event. Hint: there is no toll booth there and you can jump off the pike coming south from the GWB area without any tolls

Going Northbound if you enter the Meadowlands parking lot area behind the Arena you can go North all the way without any tolls.
Going South from that meadowlands entrance ramp they make you pay as if you came down from the GWB area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey