Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 01:51 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
My Chinese neighbors stare at us. They are from China, not American. We moved in about a year ago and they stare and stare and will not say hi.
Do you say hello to them?

Ni hao (sort of pronounced Nee How).

People from some other cultures do stare, you know that, right? It's not considered rude, and they don't automatically know that it's rude when they move here from places where it isn't rude. They don't stand in line in China, either, and if you are in their way on the sidewalk and they want to get by, they will just shove you out of the way.

I see them doing that on the subways and trains in the city--shoving past people, not waiting their turn, and people get angry, but the Chinese don't know you are supposed to do something different here.

It's not rude. It's just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 01:55 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Call F Troop???

Old 01-10-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
I’m surprised nobody has asked if you are from Jawhar.
Had to look it up. Nice palace!

Old 01-10-2018, 02:16 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Do you say hello to them?

Ni hao (sort of pronounced Nee How).

People from some other cultures do stare, you know that, right? It's not considered rude, and they don't automatically know that it's rude when they move here from places where it isn't rude. They don't stand in line in China, either, and if you are in their way on the sidewalk and they want to get by, they will just shove you out of the way.

I see them doing that on the subways and trains in the city--shoving past people, not waiting their turn, and people get angry, but the Chinese don't know you are supposed to do something different here.

It's not rude. It's just the way it is.
They don't know how to do something different here but they sure know how to get here!

That behavior is so typical of what California is becoming, it is sad to the see American culture subjected to that behavior.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:18 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning Von Tresckow View Post
I was moving a boat onto a trailer on the side of my home in Central Jersey. We were having some difficulty and it was taking longer than we expected. The Patels, our next door neighbor, suddenly emerged from their house, one-by-one, from oldest grandfather to youngest brother and proceeded to sit along the property line, only feet away from the boat we were moving. They stared THE ENTIRE TIME, never once offering to help, and never said a word to anyone. STRANGE!!!! When we were done, they all got up and trotted back into their house. In retrospect, I should have turned the garden hose on them, but I didn't; just had to indulge their odd and rude behavior. Indians come from a very odd culture, one I will never understand.
I hear you.

Imagine when they are your doctor?

Why are these people here bringing the way of life they are trying to escape?

Finally an investigation into all the 7-11's run by Indians.
Immigration agents descend on dozens of 7-Eleven stores

The OP is from Iselin NJ and that town is a tourist destination known as Little India.
Oak Tree Road - Little India in Edison and Iselin

Old 01-10-2018, 02:19 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
My Chinese neighbors stare at us. They are from China, not American. We moved in about a year ago and they stare and stare and will not say hi.
Did you know they were there when you moved in?

I have been in many Indian stores and the women there are the worse because they think American females are after their men!

Old 01-10-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I hear you.

Imagine when they are your doctor?

Why are these people here bringing the way of life they are trying to escape?

Finally an investigation into all the 7-11's run by Indians.
Immigration agents descend on dozens of 7-Eleven stores

The OP is from Iselin NJ and that town is a tourist destination known as Little India.
Oak Tree Road - Little India in Edison and Iselin
Really? This is something you've been waiting for? An investigation into Indians running convenience stores?

Old 01-10-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
They don't know how to do something different here but they sure know how to get here!

That behavior is so typical of what California is becoming, it is sad to the see American culture subjected to that behavior.

Of course they want to come here and figure out how. We have sufficient food, and you don't go to prison for ten years because you said something negative about the government. I would want to come here, too, and I would figure out any way I could to do it.

I don't think it's the end of the world. The generation born here will learn American customs and ways and manners, just as other immigrants did.

There is an effort to teach awareness of Western ways in China. My dd was living in Beijing, and she said there were posters in the subways and other public places about courtesy and not doing things like blowing your snot out of your nose into the street or holding your baby over the sewer grate on the street to poop.

They have a ways to go. But she also said it is the most money-hungry, capitalistic place she has ever seen, and as the wealthier strata of Chinese society begins to interact more with outsiders, they will pick up other influences. That's how it works.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:05 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Of course they want to come here and figure out how. We have sufficient food, and you don't go to prison for ten years because you said something negative about the government.... YET...

There is an effort to teach awareness of Western ways in China. My dd was living in Beijing, and she said there were posters in the subways and other public places about courtesy and not doing things like blowing your snot out of your nose into the street or holding your baby over the sewer grate on the street to poop.
As anyone who visited China years ago can tell you, all public restrooms in that country used to be both incredibly antiquated and unspeakably filthy. However, over the past 5 years or so, the Chinese government has finally comprehended that those who visit from Western countries expect to find clean, modern facilities, and as a result, public restrooms in China are now mostly indistinguishable from what you might find in other counties. Additionally, the Chinese public has--mostly--learned to respect those facilities and to not defile them.

Of course, having a totalitarian government makes it much easier for them to force people to accept new things and to modify their patterns of behavior.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Quote:
Really? This is something you've been waiting for? An investigation into Indians running convenience stores?
Yes for decades. Immigrants are snubbing there nose at our way of life and look what happened on 9/11 when we ignored it.

I saw your Memorial photo in the Highlands so I applaud you for posting it.

A good neighbor would walk over and offer help without being asked. It's called common courtesy, being neighborly, showing respect. All things that are taught growing up but apparently they're not since the grandfather started the sit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey