Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 PM

21 posts, read 66,782 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be moving to Millburn shortly and am wondering whether I should opt for a home security system like ADT? Are some of the streets in Millburn safer than the others?

A home security system probably costs around $30 / month which is not high but is it worth getting it installed given Millburn's reputation of a safe neighborhood?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 06:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Millburn gets break-ins because that's where the money is. That said, I've never actually heard of a home alarm system which did anything other than cause nuisance alarms.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 PM

so, home security system is not effective then? What do Millburn residents do to protect their home and assets?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:44 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
It can't hurt, anywhere really. Friends of mine lived in Millburn and had their apartment broken into and one of them assaulted. Bad things like that can happen anywhere unfortunately.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 AM

Do we need a gun to protect ourselves and our home in Millburn?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,491 times
I think an alarm system in an absolute necessity in Millburn. It's a favorite target for thieves from Newark. It's a deterrent - it alerts the police, who, in a town like Millburn will respond quickly (if you're paying to have it connected to them, as you should be), and a thief is less likely to spend lots of time in your home with that blaring - most times an alarm will just send them running. You can also sleep better at night knowing you'll be alerted if anyone tries to come in. Call the police department and speak with them or spend some time reading the police blotters online - I think you'll agree also.

I'd sleep better knowing I had a gun in my home to protect my family regardless of where I lived, but that's a personal choice. It's rare that break ins result in violence, most burglars want to avoid confrontation, but it certainly would help me just feel safer. Just remember, it's legal to protect yourself and your family on your property, as long as you have no safe means of escape. That's the crucial point.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:01 PM

44 posts, read 191,543 times
There have been quite a few recent cases in Millburn / Short Hills and the neighbouring towns in which the intruders fled after hearing the alarm. Given the (relative to prior times, not to other towns) increase in burglaries in town (both in homes and public spaces like the Mall at Short Hills & the train station), I'd say that an alarm system is almost a necessity here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey