Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 09:04 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1960s and 70s, we vacationed at a very nice "full service resort" in Spring Lake NJ. It was called The Warren Hotel. Since then it has been demolished to make room for condos.

Each morning we dined together. Spent the day at the pool or ocean. Lunch was served outside and you did not need to dress. At dinner, women wore dresses and men wore jackets.

After dinner there were family activities. Board games, croquet, sing alongs, miniature golf and charades. There was no television, or air conditioning. No need for the first, we were all kept busy! At night we opened our windows and let the cool ocean breeze fill our rooms.

When my sister told me that there was a "new show on television called Jersey Shore", I was at first delighted! Then she told me what it was like and adding "this is NOT our Jersey Shore"

Does anyone else remember Spring Lake or any other surrounding towns?
Other hotels were The Essex and Sussex, the Breakers and the Monmouth.
Sometimes my grandmother went to a very church resort - I think it was Ocean Grove, and persuaded one of us to go along.

Spring Lake was NOT at all "Honky Tonk" or flashy. One or two nights we would take off to Asbury Park to get that.

At the time it seemed perfect! Sad that a whole life style has gone away and "Jersey Shore" means something very different to a whole generation of people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 PM

111 posts, read 416,574 times
Spring Lake is still a very nice town. It's nothing like Seaside Heights and the television show the Jersey Shore. It's definitely changed since the 60s and 70s, but it's still a beautiful town and certainly isn't '****** tonk.' The hotels you referenced are no longer there except for the breakers and the essex and sussex (no longer a hotel, i believe it's condos). I believe the Warren was taken down a few years ago and they put some homes in it's place. I used to go to the 'pool bar' at the warren back in the 90s when I used to get a beach house in the area. It was one of my favorite places down there.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Spring Lake has a lot of Bed and Breakfasts.

We also spent a week in Ocean Grove when it was a religious town. You weren't allowed to drive your car on the streets on Sundays. Now Ocean Grove is a popular resort area for gay people, some of who may be religious, who knows?

Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
MightyQueen that is interesting! When my grandmother would take a cousin and me there, I don't think that there were any Gay People. (?) It was pretty conservative and "church lady-ish" Lots of older people.

Also a dry town. I remember going to a service with her at this big indoor arena - it was very old and beautiful! It had this enormous lighted American Flag in the front.

It was a former Methodist camp meeting ground and there were still people who had these homes that were "half tents" I also remember the no cars, but for Gram that would have been a draw, since she didn't drive.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 AM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
MightyQueen that is interesting! When my grandmother would take a cousin and me there, I don't think that there were any Gay People. (?) It was pretty conservative and "church lady-ish" Lots of older people.

Also a dry town. I remember going to a service with her at this big indoor arena - it was very old and beautiful! It had this enormous lighted American Flag in the front.

It was a former Methodist camp meeting ground and there were still people who had these homes that were "half tents" I also remember the no cars, but for Gram that would have been a draw, since she didn't drive.
Yes, that's the Ocean Grove Auditorium.

It is still the Camp Meeting location, too.

Welcome To Ocean Grove-God's Square Mile at the Jersey Shore

Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,252 times
I worked at the Warren Hotel the last year it was in business and I can ouch for the comment above. It was a place of class and dignity. I miss it dearly. It was my 1st gig and I consider myself lucky to have had the chance to work there!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
So not the trashy jersey shore but the "nose in the air" jersey shore??

I feel that high and mighty culture of the jersey shore has never left.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:19 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
So not the trashy jersey shore but the "nose in the air" jersey shore??

I feel that high and mighty culture of the jersey shore has never left.

You can take that and stuff it .Spring Lake was as so many other New Jersey Seaside towns were a "SUMMER TOWN". The people who lived there year round weren't rich and were called townies and worked their ass's off to make a year round living .Spring Lake made it's name because of the Hotels and St Catherine's Church.The Monmouth Hotel and the Essex and Sussex were the two main Hotels add in the Warren ,the Shoreham Hotel ,the Atlantic Hotel not to be confused with the Atlantic House add in some of the smaller but just as nice places as Hewitt Wellington Hotel and the Stone Post Inn and more than two dozen B&B's ,it was a hopping summer town .There use to be a movie theater across from the Monmouth Hotel next to the Sandpiper all so a Hotel and Peterson's an Ice cream shop . .For what it is worth it was never called the "Jersey Shore" it was "Down the Shore" and going to the beach .
Spring Lake and Sea Girt wanted to be a little quieter so there were no "amusements"(still aren't) on the boardwalk or in town they were happy with Belmar and Avon and Asbury Park and point Pleasant having all that ,they catered to the adults in the Hotels .(the Irish Riviera).Now all the quick Wall Street money buys all the homes and wants to make it like the Hamptons and in turn is wrecking what was once a lovely town .

Old 07-17-2015, 07:03 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Lots of places that aren't like "Jersey Shore". Wildwood is trashy in a completely different way, Atlantic City in a third. Stone Harbor and Avalon are snooty (and each insists the other is inferior, though they're basically identical). Cape May has the whole old-fashioned thing going for it. And of course Asbury Park's flashiness has long since gone to ruin.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:01 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You can take that and stuff it .Spring Lake was as so many other New Jersey Seaside towns were a "SUMMER TOWN". The people who lived there year round weren't rich and were called townies and worked their ass's off to make a year round living .Spring Lake made it's name because of the Hotels and St Catherine's Church.The Monmouth Hotel and the Essex and Sussex were the two main Hotels add in the Warren ,the Shoreham Hotel ,the Atlantic Hotel not to be confused with the Atlantic House add in some of the smaller but just as nice places as Hewitt Wellington Hotel and the Stone Post Inn and more than two dozen B&B's ,it was a hopping summer town .There use to be a movie theater across from the Monmouth Hotel next to the Sandpiper all so a Hotel and Peterson's an Ice cream shop . .For what it is worth it was never called the "Jersey Shore" it was "Down the Shore" and going to the beach .
Spring Lake and Sea Girt wanted to be a little quieter so there were no "amusements"(still aren't) on the boardwalk or in town they were happy with Belmar and Avon and Asbury Park and point Pleasant having all that ,they catered to the adults in the Hotels .(the Irish Riviera).Now all the quick Wall Street money buys all the homes and wants to make it like the Hamptons and in turn is wrecking what was once a lovely town .
If that is their intent, they are failing miserably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey