U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,473 times

Advertisements

Moving for the first time into apartments, since I am getting married soon, would like to ask your guidance/suggestions/comments for the newly married couple to start living in a nice safe area, near trains, with good shopping mall/restaurants.

I have lived in Matawan and liked the small town feel, and all of the above, but its an hour and half door to door into WTC, so looking to get somewhere closer however would like not just keeping commute as the only priority, but also for my fiance to be safe and having a decent area to start a new life with.

So, far I have thought mostly about apartments near Woodbridge, New Brunswick, Summit/Westfield (might be expensive), Maplewood, Ridgewood/Springfield, Bergen County (Hackensack, others?), Bloomfield, Paramus/Wayne

Preferably on lower rent as I expect my budget to be in shreds once married...

would appreciate you thoughts and help with navigating good old Jersey for a good spacious and clean apartment to call home. thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 AM

78,876 posts, read 72,913,156 times
You didn't give a budget. You can't just say "lower rent"--lower than what? And since you already live in NJ, you know full well that there will be a correlation between "safety" and price.

Anyway, sounds as if you're on the right track with Woodbridge.

Your fiance won't be working?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,473 times
Thanks much! this helps and gives me confidence. Lower is ambiguous, I meant like 1000-1250, what's usually hard to get one's hand around is, trying to look for "quality of life" aspect, for instance commute does matter and least is better, but say Secaucus might be closer but its like in middle of nowhere in terms of quality of life, similarly Jersey City is closer and some parts are nicer but again great for commuters/singles, perhaps not the best place family wise.

New Brunswick seems decent but commute to NYC is a killer, Maplewood/Milburn seems in similar category.

Pardon my indulgence, if I may ask, wondering if the perspective differs a lot, if you see it from the eyes of a woman, if you were out of state and a girl new to the area, say studying/working in NYC, would you be willing to bear lot longer commute for better area, or just try to find roommates and go about it the singles way, ie closeness to NYC would be key to where you move to?

sorry maybe I'm just too nervous about getting married and being responsible for someone, other than being left to my own devices, so trying to think of what area might be nice for my fiance who is from out of town...

yes, till she can get settled to the new place (including the lifestyle of married folks..guess that means worrying about well being of your spouse? and whereabouts!?) and landing a job.

appreciate your vote, will likely be moving to apartments in woodbridge area, once I figure out which ones are better...and vice-versa. Thanks again!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:23 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,639,736 times
New Brunswick & Maplewood aren't bad commutes via Express trains there about 30-40mins from Midtown which is low in this region.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:00 AM

78,876 posts, read 72,913,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsharanq View Post
Thanks much! this helps and gives me confidence. Lower is ambiguous, I meant like 1000-1250, what's usually hard to get one's hand around is, trying to look for "quality of life" aspect, for instance commute does matter and least is better, but say Secaucus might be closer but its like in middle of nowhere in terms of quality of life, similarly Jersey City is closer and some parts are nicer but again great for commuters/singles, perhaps not the best place family wise.

New Brunswick seems decent but commute to NYC is a killer, Maplewood/Milburn seems in similar category.

Pardon my indulgence, if I may ask, wondering if the perspective differs a lot, if you see it from the eyes of a woman, if you were out of state and a girl new to the area, say studying/working in NYC, would you be willing to bear lot longer commute for better area, or just try to find roommates and go about it the singles way, ie closeness to NYC would be key to where you move to?

sorry maybe I'm just too nervous about getting married and being responsible for someone, other than being left to my own devices, so trying to think of what area might be nice for my fiance who is from out of town...

yes, till she can get settled to the new place (including the lifestyle of married folks..guess that means worrying about well being of your spouse? and whereabouts!?) and landing a job.

appreciate your vote, will likely be moving to apartments in woodbridge area, once I figure out which ones are better...and vice-versa. Thanks again!
You are welcome. It's kind of hard to imagine being new to the state, since I've lived my entire life in NJ as have five generations before me!

But I do have a long commute that I chose in exchange for the area I wanted to live in. To me, the trade-off was worth it, although there are days when the long commute does wear on me. I am in a safe, quiet area, and it is about 15 minutes drive to the ocean, which I love, and there are beautiful wooded parks close by, which was also important to me. And all the conveniences of stores, etc., are nearby, too.

I suggested Woodbridge because it's sort of in the middle of everything--close enough to the city that the commute isn't too bad, but you can go the other way to get to less congested parts of the state if you need to. Plus, everything is there--the big mall, supermarkets, whatever. Also, Woodbridge has many different condo complexes and apartment complexes and it should not be hard for you to find a rental. Before I bought my condo, I had some ideas for renting as backup in case I couldn't get a mortgage. Woodbridge was one of them. Jersey City was another, although the places where I would chosen to live in J.C. would have been pricier than Woodbridge. I figured that would be a tradeoff--I'd pay a higher rent in exchange for a short commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey