U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 AM

3,213 posts, read 4,229,095 times

Advertisements

Well, a new crossroads has just reared it's head again for my family and I.
I'll compare the two situations in my minds eye and would really appreciate any feedback to help with this situation. I currently live in Hillsborough.

Hillsborough: Son is in excellent elementary school rated 9/10 on Great Schools. He has been there from Kindergarten. I am content with my home, though we have had to put so much into it for updating and repair. I am concerned for educaton value post elementary level in the school district. I here the High School is good, but not great. It is slightly bothersome that Hillsborough has no downtown to go and stroll around in etc.. And lastly, Hillsborough seems just out of reasonable reach to New York City and all it offers. Oh, and Hillsborough has the 206.

Basking Ridge: It seems the schools are excelent all the way through. The home I am looking at here is more expensive, but in Basking Ridge I would get a property tax-exemption. I hear that the people there are at a socio-economic level one notch above Hillsborough. I really don't want to deal with to much of that judgemental or possibly bubble minded mentality this might entail. We could tolerate some, but not to much. Basking Ridge has a lovely little downtown area. I also think there would be more convenient access to NYC, with the train stations righ in town. I would be a little farther from my family in PA though, by about 30 minutes. Considering I want the very best for my boys in everyway, it just seems like BR would be ideal to that goal.

I also know the whole moving process would be stressful in and of itself. My son would still be in elementary school, but wouldn't have the advantage of starting school there from Kindergarten. From what I've noticed here, it's an advantage for him, as he knows everyone. Hillsborough is great and the families here are so supportive of each other, I wonder if Basking Ridge would have this same community unity and acceptance. This is a tough decision and if I do it, it has to be done by this summer or not at all. I mean, if I have the money to offer my son's whatever advantages this move would bring, shouldn't I do it?

Thanks everyone for whatever feedback you could please provide.

Best Regards..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 AM

3,213 posts, read 4,229,095 times
Bump, any help??

Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 8,303 times
Hi UrbanQuest,
I can't answer your question, but was wondering if you can answer mine. My family is thinking of moving to Hillsborough this summer. We have two boys, 6 and 8 and after everything we have read it seemed as if Hillsborough schools system is great. What is it about the high school that you feel it is lacking vs Basking Ridge?

How long does it take to NYC by car? And public transport? Iwas also wondering if Hillsborough has their own bus system or do you have to drive your kids everywhere when they are older?
I had also read that there were plans to build a town center in Hillsborough. Is that just a dream?

Thanks
Thanks

Old 03-17-2012, 11:42 AM

18,010 posts, read 22,585,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsim23 View Post
I had also read that there were plans to build a town center in Hillsborough. Is that just a dream?
I think that what you are referring to is in connection with the construction of the Route 206 Bypass. The purpose of this new expressway--from Old Somerville Road to the Pike Run development--is to speed-up the flow of traffic through the area and also to ease congestion on the "old" 206 and allow it to become, in effect, Hillsborough's main street.

The reduced traffic density on the "old" 206, and the reality that those who are driving through the area will most likely want to use the expressway, should allow more of a Main Street feel to the current highway and lead to a town center--more or less. As I understand it, the completion of the 206 Bypass will take at least 2 more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: