U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 60,440 times

Advertisements

How is the area of 15th and Broadway in Bayonne? My husband and I are moving to North Jersey and trying to find the best places in Hudson, Essec, Bergen counties. Also, affordable pricing. Don't laugh, I know that is hard to come by, but there has to be some places that won't break our bank.

Any advice on that Bayonne area or the other counties would be great.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 PM

12,285 posts, read 34,187,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony's mommy View Post
How is the area of 15th and Broadway in Bayonne? My husband and I are moving to North Jersey and trying to find the best places in Hudson, Essec, Bergen counties. Also, affordable pricing. Don't laugh, I know that is hard to come by, but there has to be some places that won't break our bank.

Any advice on that Bayonne area or the other counties would be great.

Thanks
i personally wouldn't live on bway itself, but the side streets in that area are fine. generally, the west side ("west" is considered anything west of broadway) is better than the east. and on the "west" side, west of avenue C is preferable to the "west" side between bway and ave c (if that makes sense).

what else specifically would you like to know? i can say bayonne is most definitely urban, the safest city in Hudson County and probably the most family friendly. mostly irish, italian and polish in population. lots of bars and churches, lol. mostly roman catholic. school #14 is excellent by all standards, but I believe you need to be accepted. several catholic schools (both grammar and HS) to choose from, my thoughts are St. Andrews (4th and Bway) is the best parochial grammar school.

most housing stock is 2 family, but there are lots of single family to be had.

HTH!

Old 09-02-2007, 12:43 PM

6 posts, read 60,440 times
Thanks. I guess because we are searching for a place from far away and not knowing much about the area, it is a little harder.

We got news on an apartment on 15th and Broadway and it was reasonable (I thought) 875 for 1 bedroom. I just don't want to be in an area where I have to be worried about getting robbed or stabbed. Somewhere that I can walk down the street and not be afraid. I get skeptical when I see a place that seems affordable in North Jersey. Like it is too good to be true. Do you say you wouldn't live on Bway because of safety, noise, crime? Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i personally wouldn't live on bway itself, but the side streets in that area are fine. generally, the west side ("west" is considered anything west of broadway) is better than the east. and on the "west" side, west of avenue C is preferable to the "west" side between bway and ave c (if that makes sense).

what else specifically would you like to know? i can say bayonne is most definitely urban, the safest city in Hudson County and probably the most family friendly. mostly irish, italian and polish in population. lots of bars and churches, lol. mostly roman catholic. school #14 is excellent by all standards, but I believe you need to be accepted. several catholic schools (both grammar and HS) to choose from, my thoughts are St. Andrews (4th and Bway) is the best parochial grammar school.

most housing stock is 2 family, but there are lots of single family to be had.

HTH!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 AM

12,285 posts, read 34,187,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony's mommy View Post
Thanks. I guess because we are searching for a place from far away and not knowing much about the area, it is a little harder.

We got news on an apartment on 15th and Broadway and it was reasonable (I thought) 875 for 1 bedroom. I just don't want to be in an area where I have to be worried about getting robbed or stabbed. Somewhere that I can walk down the street and not be afraid. I get skeptical when I see a place that seems affordable in North Jersey. Like it is too good to be true. Do you say you wouldn't live on Bway because of safety, noise, crime? Thanks so much
You absolutely do not have to be worried about getting robbed or stabbed - Bayonne is a safe city. Bayonne is affordable because 1) it hasn't "caught on" yet and 2) even though it is close distance-wise to NYC, it still can be a haul to get into the city, given its proximity.

I wouldn't live on Bway simply because it's a main throughfare and the noise level will be higher. I'm absolutely certain you could find something on a side street for the same rent. Have you checked the Bayonne Community News? There's always a bunch of aparts. for rent each week.

For when you go visit in person, keep this in mind (bears repeating):

"west" is typically better than "east"

it's better the further downtown you go (with the exception of the area around Bayonne Park aka Hudson County park, which is Avenue A, Kennedy Blvd, and Avenue B, from 33rd to about 38th streets). as far as downtown, i like below 7th street the best. it's much quieter.

best of luck!

Old 10-13-2007, 08:53 PM

1,171 posts, read 3,046,268 times
Good thread. What are some of the different "sections" of Bayonne? So, west is typically better than east -- anything specific? West of _______? What is new and exciting in Bayonne? I've read a great deal about new construction, railways, etc. Anything else going on?

Thank you in advance.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 PM

22 posts, read 61,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Good thread. What are some of the different "sections" of Bayonne? So, west is typically better than east -- anything specific? West of _______? What is new and exciting in Bayonne? I've read a great deal about new construction, railways, etc. Anything else going on?

Thank you in advance.
Yes, this post is old but I'm new!

I live in Bayonne and own three multi-family houses here since 2004. I grew up in Brooklyn NY and feel Bayonne is a cleaner, quieter version of Brooklyn -- urban, yet with some suburban values.

I live on Kennedy & W 30th, and you can hear a pin drop at night.

What's new? A new mall slated for 440 and W 22nd, helmed by Lowe's. The Bayonne CC, $150k membership fee to join. The Bayonne Ocean terminal renovation, which is in full-swing.

I bought here because JC is way too expensive now, and people who work there could use a cheaper place to live. Bayonne has increased in value, sure, but is no Hoboken or JC. Rents are still reasonable -- $1600 max, $900 can still get you a nice 1 BR.

Ave A on the water is still the best area -- multi-million $$ homes there. Otherwise, I'd choose the Ave C - Ave A area, in the 30s. Nice mix of families, multi-family houses and beautiful one family houses.

What irks me is how often businesses fail on B'way -- I don't understand if it's the local economy, or just a lack of homework by biz owners.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey